Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
There was another Muslim who posted fairly often...Zico. I haven't seen him for a while though.
Sauron, while an atheist, majored in Islamic studies and when people spouted their misconceptions and outright lies, he defended Islam brilliantly. He insisted on truthfulness.
Unfortunately he was banned.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
mo.mentum said:
hey feral.

I'm glad some people are on a path of knowledge :) Islam is the fastest growing religion on Earth actually.

Not really. You can be the fastest growing religion just by doubling or tripling in size, which is not at all hard.

Christianity, as far as I'm aware, is still gaining more than any other religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mo.mentum

[One God]
Aug 9, 2003
Montreal
✟16,445.00
Faith
Muslim
stray bullet said:
Not really. You can be the fastest growing religion just by doubling or tripling in size, which is not at all hard.

Christianity, as far as I'm aware, is still gaining more than any other religion.
That didn't make sense. How you be gaining more and not be the fastest growing?

In the USA alone, Islam is the fastest growing religion. As in fastest spreading, or gaining more.

In the world:
1 Christianity 2 billion
2 Islam 1.3 billion
3 Hinduism 900 million

http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm

Christianity is declining however :(

But numbers aren't important

Upvote 0

ByGrace

Jul 18, 2003
Salt Lake City
✟1,928.00
Faith
Christian
mo.mentum said:
That didn't make sense. How you be gaining more and not be the fastest growing?

In the USA alone, Islam is the fastest growing religion. As in fastest spreading, or gaining more.

In the world:
1 Christianity 2 billion
2 Islam 1.3 billion
3 Hinduism 900 million

http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm

Christianity is declining however :(

But numbers aren't important
Well, as satan gets more and more bold and worried about his end, of course he will try and get as many as he can to convert to such things. You may have lots and lots of members but that doesnt mean you will get the virgins. Oh, and women really can drive.

Upvote 0

mo.mentum

[One God]
Aug 9, 2003
Montreal
✟16,445.00
Faith
Muslim
ByGrace said:
Well, as satan gets more and more bold and worried about his end, of course he will try and get as many as he can to convert to such things. You may have lots and lots of members but that doesnt mean you will get the virgins. Oh, and women really can drive.

1. Virgins

Thanks for showing me that you know naught of Islam. This concept of "virgins" in Heaven is a favourite among Orientalists. But any kindergarten kid will tell you that's not what the verses talk about, but nice try.

Keep yielding the words of ignorance around. If it makes you feel better to abase another religion by waving around unfounded comments you heard form someone else, then by all means. Carry on. Just don't do it in front of me.

2. Drive

Again and again i see poeple like you falling into the same error. There is no relation between the way "Islamic" governments rule their people and Islam itself. These are all dictatorships and self-appointed regimes bent on preserving social control rather than social equity. There is no reason why a woman cannot drive or do everything a man can do. Just because Saudi Arabia enforces that rules, doesn't mean it's part of Islam.

In fact, Saudi Arabia's brand of Islam is called Wahabism after Muhammad Abdel-Wahab, a scholar, allied himself with a few Arabian tribes after WWI to kick out the remnants of the Ottomans, with the help of the British of course.

When the Ottomans were ejected, the British "rewarded" these tribes with ruling Arabia, which is now called "Saudi" Arabia because those tribes were from the clan of "Saud". And Muhammad Abdel-Wahab imparted his strict interpretation of Islam to them. Many muslims recognize that Wahabism is the source of extremism in our midst.

So please. Don't confuse me with some camel totting extremist bent on western destruction. That is not Islam.

Upvote 0

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
ByGrace said:
:| Oh my....you're just playing, right grace? Women and driving has nothing to do with Islam. My american friends who happen to be muslim drive, one actually is a former demolition derby driver. Some of the muslimahs i know in the middle east drive. If you open up the Qur'an i don't think you will see anything about driving. Governments and traditions have had an impact on the laws, mores, norms and values of cultures that have an Islamic majority. You live in the united states, correct grace? Our government allows abortions. That means christians support abortion, right? Surely now you can see the difference.

I suggest you read an english translation of the Qur'an (Koran) available in any secular bookstore or online. If you aren't willing to pay I know there are several sites offering free copies. I wrote to Saudi Arabia's U.S. delegate and asked for one last year when i was doing a presentation on women's lives in afghanistan, and they sent me a whole box so everyone in my class could understand the difference between Islam and Taliban. Ignorance isn't bliss. ;)

Upvote 0

bouncer

May 30, 2002
Canada
Visit site
✟1,032.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Mo.mentum,

It's great to see someone debate so patiently and ably with a bunch of ignorant Christians like us. Really, I mean it. :) I know blatant ignorance of one's religion can be pretty frustrating, having experienced it myself....but the only thing I can say is....please bear with us. :)

Anyway, reading comments from people like you and some of the other Muslims who post on these boards, I am very confused about the general muslim stand. I find that there are generally two kinds:

The kind who will insist that Surah 55, actually does refer to 'virgins' and that women should not be able to drive and people like yourself who claim otherwise.....

The kind who claim that Christian or Jewish scriptures are completely corrupt and cannot be trusted at all, and others who say that they are not really corrupt themselves, but that the meaning of its words are deliberately misinterpreted by its followers......

Anyway, you get my drift.....

The problem is, what really is Islam? Once on a different forum, I was trying to argue for over 100 posts how Christian scriptures are not really corrupt, only to be told that true muslims do not believe they are corrupt, but just misinterpreted. A few months later, I find myself arguing with another 'true' muslim, that infact, Christian scriptures have been changed and manipulated by men for centuries.

In the meantime, I find that Muslims themselves, while appealing to Christians and westerners for greater understanding of their religion, are completely ignorant of Christianity. I realise further, that a major source of their ignorance is the Quran, or the Hadiths (details of which I can go into later).

Anyway, these are just some of the opinions I have formed. Feel free to dispell them :). I dont mean to be intentionally confrontational, but just thought I should pen some of these down....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mo.mentum

[One God]
Aug 9, 2003
Montreal
✟16,445.00
Faith
Muslim
Hey bouncer!

Thanks man, i really appreciate hearing people who have an open mind and wish to remove their ignorance! Let us pray to God and praise Him for such a blessing.

Now, you've brought up an interesting subject. I myself have started to ponder upon it as I've encoutered more and more Muslims online. I live in
Montreal and don't really socialize with Muslims in the "Real World", so i wasn't very aware of how they viewed things.

So here's my view of things..hope it helps!

bouncer said:
The kind who will insist that Surah 55, actually does refer to 'virgins' and that women should not be able to drive and people like yourself who claim otherwise.....
The verse you speak of is as follows:

56. In them will be (Maidens), chaste, restraining their glances, whom no Man or Jinn before them has touched;

The Maidens are indeed virgins, not necessarily women. They are "Huriyat", creatures of Paradise. Also must remember that the Qur'an is trying to express and explain a high spiritual meaning for the AfterLife using allegories of this world. The prophet has told us that what is in Paradise, no eye has seen, no ear as heard and no thought thereof ever occured. So whenever God refers to descriptions about Paradise, we CANNOT take them literally.

Huriyat in some places are likened to a fruit. Could they be fruit and not 'virgins'? And so what if they were virgins? What is forbidden in this lifetime is not necessarily sin in the next. We must forget the cartoon image of people with halos and wings floating in clouds. The AfterLife will be more "real" than this reality, and more concrete. Acts considered sinful in this life, are not in the next. Alcohol and Sex are restricted in this life, not necessarily in the next. That is how God tests us. Life is a test.

The driving thing is completely pathetic and stupid. Saudi Arabia is the ONLY country in the world, Muslim or non-Muslim, that doesn't allow women to drive, yet Islam is blamed for this, when it's plainly not true. Saudi Arabia practices a particulalry strict interpretation of the Qur'an called Wahabbism, inspired by Mohamed Abdel-Wahab, a muslim scholar of the early 20th century. Many Muslims blame Wahabbism for the sorry state of our faith today and the spread of extremist views, but to say that Islam is to blame is indeed ignorant.

The kind who claim that Christian or Jewish scriptures are completely corrupt and cannot be trusted at all, and others who say that they are not really corrupt themselves, but that the meaning of its words are deliberately misinterpreted by its followers......

The problem is, what really is Islam? Once on a different forum, I was trying to argue for over 100 posts how Christian scriptures are not really corrupt, only to be told that true muslims do not believe they are corrupt, but just misinterpreted. A few months later, I find myself arguing with another 'true' muslim, that infact, Christian scriptures have been changed and manipulated by men for centuries.
Up until very recently, i was on either side of that argument. But recently I've come to the (personal) conclusion that the original Scriptures were not corrupt since God's Word is always protected. The Torah, Gospel and Qur'an are Holy Scriptures that are the _literal_ Word of God.

My argument is that some Jews are overlooking some of their ommandments, not that their Scipture is corrupt. Usury (interest) is one example. Hence they've broken their covenant with God.

For the Christians, the original Gospel of Jesus is no where to be found, but the texts which God inspired to Jesus' disciples are with us, although no longer in their original language of Aramaic. Nonetheless, the meaning is there! So it's not the deliberate misinterpretation, but the loss of quality of the text due to multiple translations. The original texts are intact, the translations pose a problem because an idea expressed in one language with a certain cultural background can be interpreted in many varying ways when translated. ie: "a son" can become "The Son".

Just as the Qur'an has many versions in the non-Arabic, so does the Bible in non-Aramaic. The Qur'an has one authoratative copy in Arabic which no Muslim of any sect or denomination disagrees on the content.

Please don't take this as me trying to dislodge Christianity's theological standpoint. That is not my purpose here. I'm merely explaining my standpoint of other Scriptures sincerely.

In the meantime, I find that Muslims themselves, while appealing to Christians and westerners for greater understanding of their religion, are completely ignorant of Christianity. I realise further, that a major source of their ignorance is the Quran, or the Hadiths (details of which I can go into later).
Yes indeed. Fortunately, i grew up in a Muslim/Christian environment all my life. And i mean in my house, i had a live-in nanny as a kid who was Catholic. The problem on both sides is lack of diaolgue and interaction. There are diaologues being set up these days but we've only seen the start of this. But I believe that one day, there will be a great Union of Faiths under God. Soon hopefully...:)

As for the question of "true" Muslims...I have quasi-simple answer. According to God's Word in the Qur'an and what the prophet has taught us, Islam is the middle road or the Straight Path. Meaning it is a moderate way of life, not too lacks and not too strict, and i believe in this strongly.

Those who live Islam with this in mind are truely on the Straight Path. Those who exceed the requirements and go beyond what has been prescribed are going into unlawful extremes, ie: BinLaden and friends. Then you have those who take their faith lightly and the Qur'an as a mere book of poetry, those cause the understanding of Islam to fade. Both extremes are rampant and causing great harm to the minority of believers who are sincere in their worship.

I'm in no place to say or judge how a "true" Muslim is supposed to act. But by being at either extreme, you're lost. And by being too harsh towards other faiths or intolerant of differences, you're also lost. I base these opinions on my understanding of the Qur'an, and the example set by the prophet Muhammad.

Make sense?

Upvote 0

bouncer

May 30, 2002
Canada
Visit site
✟1,032.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
mo.mentum said:
The Maidens are indeed virgins, not necessarily women. They are "Huriyat", creatures of Paradise. Also must remember that the Qur'an is trying to express and explain a high spiritual meaning for the AfterLife using allegories of this world. The prophet has told us that what is in Paradise, no eye has seen, no ear as heard and no thought thereof ever occured. So whenever God refers to descriptions about Paradise, we CANNOT take them literally.

Huriyat in some places are likened to a fruit. Could they be fruit and not 'virgins'? And so what if they were virgins? What is forbidden in this lifetime is not necessarily sin in the next. We must forget the cartoon image of people with halos and wings floating in clouds. The AfterLife will be more "real" than this reality, and more concrete. Acts considered sinful in this life, are not in the next. Alcohol and Sex are restricted in this life, not necessarily in the next. That is how God tests us. Life is a test.
I cannot completely disagree with your interpretation of the Qur'an since I do not know much about it...but over here I seem to disagree with the Quran itself. The Bible speaks of the afterlife as a spiritual existence. Our present physical bodies and desires are no longer there, and hence there is no more room for sin. Virgins, fruit, whatever.....have no place in the after life because they simply do not exist there (according to the bible). Call me brainwashed, but to me this description of the afterlife makes so much more sense. Once we die, our physical bodies return to dust and what remains is our soul. The pleasure lies in living in peaceful existence with everyone else and with God, why do we need virgins or fruit or rivers or what not?

The driving thing is completely pathetic and stupid. Saudi Arabia is the ONLY country in the world, Muslim or non-Muslim, that doesn't allow women to drive, yet Islam is blamed for this, when it's plainly not true. Saudi Arabia practices a particulalry strict interpretation of the Qur'an called Wahabbism, inspired by Mohamed Abdel-Wahab, a muslim scholar of the early 20th century. Many Muslims blame Wahabbism for the sorry state of our faith today and the spread of extremist views, but to say that Islam is to blame is indeed ignorant.
Agreed.
smile.gif

Up until very recently, i was on either side of that argument. But recently I've come to the (personal) conclusion that the original Scriptures were not corrupt since God's Word is always protected. The Torah, Gospel and Qur'an are Holy Scriptures that are the _literal_ Word of God.

My argument is that some Jews are overlooking some of their ommandments, not that their Scipture is corrupt. Usury (interest) is one example. Hence they've broken their covenant with God.
But surely your argument can then be applied to Muslims and Christians as well. Everytime we lie, or commit any sin we are overlooking a commandment of God and by your logic have broken a covenant with God. We believe that God recognized this imperfection in us and hence sent down Jesus. The Jews have not as much broken their covenant with God, as God having made a New covenant with mankind. The burden of our sins have been carried by Jesus and hence we may be confident that God will never break his covenant with us. (well thats the Christian belief in a nutshell anyway).

Coming to your 'interest' example...it brings me to one of my problems with Islam. A muslim friend once told me that he does not believe in taking interest since it is money you have not worked for and hence prohibited by the Quran . I sincerely believed that it was a noble sentiment but realised that he had no qualms about taking scholarships, or sneaking into a movie theatre without paying, because obviously the Quran does not explicitly prohibit that. I realise, that not all muslims may be like that but then I believe that the Qur'an is not as clear in its motives behind its laws.

To me therefore, it is like the religion of the 'pharisees' in the Bible. One of following a set of rules. So you have a bunch of rules, follow them and you are good, break any one of them and you are bad. That leads to the problem of 'greater' and 'lesser' rules. Does simply lying make you any less a sinner than a murderer in the eyes of God? Did God really rank the ten commandments ? In the Bible, Jesus is asked which is the most important commandment (of the ten)? Is it 'Do not murder'? 'Do not steal' ? 'Do not commit adultery' ? Instead, Jesus answers with one that is not even in the ten, 'Love the Lord your God, with all your heart, all your soul and all your strength'. Effectively, that makes all the ten equally important, for if you truly Love God you would keep ALL his commandments equally.

For the Christians, the original Gospel of Jesus is no where to be found, but the texts which God inspired to Jesus' disciples are with us, although no longer in their original language of Aramaic. Nonetheless, the meaning is there! So it's not the deliberate misinterpretation, but the loss of quality of the text due to multiple translations. The original texts are intact, the translations pose a problem because an idea expressed in one language with a certain cultural background can be interpreted in many varying ways when translated. ie: "a son" can become "The Son".

Just as the Qur'an has many versions in the non-Arabic, so does the Bible in non-Aramaic. The Qur'an has one authoratative copy in Arabic which no Muslim of any sect or denomination disagrees on the content.
I am really confused about this, because it seems to me that you are applying different standards in judging the Quran and the Bible.

First off, it is pure speculation that Jesus ever wrote a Gospel himself. One, it has never been found, two, there is absolutely no reference to such a book anywhere. If there were truly such a book, you would expect that there would be a reference to it in some book written by someone somewhere, especially since the author was Jesus himself. Do you really believe that this book has vanished completely, along with every possible reference to it ?

Secondly, if you do believe that the Gospels revealed to Jesus' disciples are intact and that the original meaning has been preserved, in hebrew or aramaic atleast, then I dont see how it can be judged differently from the Qur'an. If the translations are now in error, then it is equally possible for the Quranic translations to be completely in error. If you say that all errors are minimised because of the original Arabic copy of the Quran, then the original hebrew and aramaic copies of Christian scriptures are also there, untampered with (according to you) to see if the meaning has been preserved in the translations.

Surely, the Bible has not been translated by amateurs. If the aramaic meant 'a son', why would the translators give the impression in the Bible that Jesus was 'the son', unless they were deliberately tampering with the script? Besides, it is important to understand on the part of muslims that our belief in Jesus being the 'son' of God does not stem from simply having the prefix, 'the son' before Jesus in some part of the Bible. It is a conclusion arrived at taking the entire New testament as a whole. It is also important to understand that while there are differences in Bible's which creep in due to translations the central doctrine of the triune nature of God, and of Jesus having died for our sins, is present and agreed upon in all Christian sects and denominations, and this is no mere coincidence.

Please don't take this as me trying to dislodge Christianity's theological standpoint. That is not my purpose here. I'm merely explaining my standpoint of other Scriptures sincerely.
I understand, and trust me when I say that I am also merely trying to present my viewpoint here. :)

Upvote 0

ByGrace

Jul 18, 2003
Salt Lake City
✟1,928.00
Faith
Christian
feral said:
:| Oh my....you're just playing, right grace? Women and driving has nothing to do with Islam. My american friends who happen to be muslim drive, one actually is a former demolition derby driver. Some of the muslimahs i know in the middle east drive. If you open up the Qur'an i don't think you will see anything about driving. Governments and traditions have had an impact on the laws, mores, norms and values of cultures that have an Islamic majority. You live in the united states, correct grace? Our government allows abortions. That means christians support abortion, right? Surely now you can see the difference.

I suggest you read an english translation of the Qur'an (Koran) available in any secular bookstore or online. If you aren't willing to pay I know there are several sites offering free copies. I wrote to Saudi Arabia's U.S. delegate and asked for one last year when i was doing a presentation on women's lives in afghanistan, and they sent me a whole box so everyone in my class could understand the difference between Islam and Taliban. Ignorance isn't bliss. ;)
I have only ever had my hand on one koran and I tore it straight down the middle. I have no desire to ever read it. It is as desirable of a read as the satans bible or books on witchcraft. All of them are disposable IMO and I will do just that upon seeing them. Sorry, but that is my stance.

Upvote 0

bouncer

May 30, 2002
Canada
Visit site
✟1,032.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ByGrace said:
I have only ever had my hand on one koran and I tore it straight down the middle. I have no desire to ever read it. It is as desirable of a read as the satans bible or books on witchcraft. All of them are disposable IMO and I will do just that upon seeing them. Sorry, but that is my stance.
It is unfortunate to read this kind of a post. While you are entitled to your opinion, you must also please keep in mind that there are Muslims who post on these boards and who consider the Quran a holy book. The least we can do is to be sensitive to our Muslim brothers and sisters. I am surprised the moderators are doing nothing to prevent this sort of thing.....

Upvote 0