Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Yes, this is what you think it is. :)

I have recently become intrigued with songs and musical pieces written in unusual time signatures, such as 5/4, 7/8, and so on. While I am aware some people may not have a taste for such music, there is some out there that I believe almost anyone can appreciate

Here is a thread in which people can post (and discuss) music of varying styles written (fully or partially) in odd time signatures.

Here is a classic example almost everyone has heard before:

Take Five - The Dave Brubeck Quartet (1959) - YouTube

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Jethro Tull - Living In The Past 1969 - YouTube

After "Take Five", the first odd signature song that comes to my mind is always Jethro Tull's "Living in the Past". It's also in 5/4.

You gotta love that bouncy beat! I have come to a place where I have trained my ear to some of these offbeat sounds (not all, mind you, as there are still a few pieces I've heard that are somewhat annoying). It's just intriguing to me the way that they can grow on you to the point where they almost sound normal. I don't know... it just might be that when it comes to music, I'm a real geek!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, this is what you think it is. :)

I have recently become intrigued with songs and musical pieces written in unusual time signatures, such as 5/4, 7/8, and so on. While I am aware some people may not have a taste for such music, there is some out there that I believe almost anyone can appreciate

Here is a thread in which people can post (and discuss) music of varying styles written (fully or partially) in odd time signatures.

Here is a classic example almost everyone has heard before:

Take Five - The Dave Brubeck Quartet (1959) - YouTube

I like the Dave Brubeck Quartet. I like different sorts of music. I came across this group but I'm not sure if its the 5/4 or 7/8 or that off beat and time you are looking for. They are called St Vincent and did some work with David Byrne of talking heads. If you are familiar with him and the tom tom club then you will know that they are quite different again. Anyway see what you think as i takes a bit of getting use to and is not everyone's cup of tea.
St Vincent - Surgeon (4AD Session) - YouTube

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I like the Dave Brubeck Quartet. I like different sorts of music. I came across this group but I'm not sure if its the 5/4 or 7/8 or that off beat and time you are looking for. They are called St Vincent and did some work with David Byrne of talking heads. If you are familiar with him and the tom tom club then you will know that they are quite different again. Anyway see what you think as i takes a bit of getting use to and is not everyone's cup of tea.
St Vincent - Surgeon (4AD Session) - YouTube

I heard it. Although it had an unusual sound altogether (albeit, in a good way!), the meter sounded like a basic 4/4 to me (except I heard what could have been an extra beat or half beat in an occasional bar). I am into music, but I'm especially intrigued with stuff that is different, and it seems to have been during this last year I have begun to study unusual time signatures. Wikipedia has a whole page that gives several examples of such music, either partially or throughout the entire musical piece. I was able to look a few of them up on Youtube, count the beats per measure to see how it adds up.

Here are some links you might find interesting:

List of musical works in unusual time signatures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quintuple meter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Septuple meter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Main/Uncommon Time - Television Tropes & Idioms

I appreciate your contribution to the thread, though, if anything for its overall odd sound. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Dave Brubeck's Unsquare Dance, in 7/4.

Dave Brubeck Quartet - "Unsquare Dance" - YouTube

I believe Brubeck was notorious for writing many pieces with odd meters and rhythms (as it seemed to be the case with Ellis) - yet for some reason had the ability to make it sound somewhat natural (to those who have the ear for it)!

Upvote 0