• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Muscle spasms, sciatica, urology

raggedycamel

Goodbye
Aug 21, 2012
✟8,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi

I'm sorry to bother you all with this.

I just wanted to tell about my pain.

I have muscle spasms in my lower back. I think it's sciatica, but my doctor has not done any major testing or exams to confirm it.

I also have a lot of bladder infections, kidney stones, and because of it, my doctor has put me on muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories. They seem to also help the muscle spasms and what I think is sciatica.

When I had my 2nd knee surgery, I was given a prescription for pain killers, and they didn't help my back the way the meds I'm on now do. Pain pills just don't last as long, and they're addictive and I didn't want to get into that.

Right now, I'm having a problem with the feeling of a knot in my lower back. Feels like I have a baseball stuck in my back, but there's no knot or anything there. The anti-inflammatories help a lot with this though. But when they wear off, it comes back.

Well, thank you for listening to me. I know there are healing verses in the Scripture to meditate on, and keeping focus on Jesus is key to wellness too.

God bless you all. :wave:

Samaritan Woman

Sep 2, 2013
Midwest
✟66,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Regarding the sciatica, often it is caused by a very tight gluteal muscle (called the "piriformis") which when tight often squeezes/presses on the sciatic nerve. Give some deep tissue massage a try, but it may take 2-3 consistent sessions to get in under control. Also, there's a massage tool called "The Orb" by Pro-Tec Athletics sold on Amazon which you can use to press up against the wall with your butt to help release the very deep piriformis muscle. Also, a massage therapist skilled and trained in referred pain patterns and trigger point therapy should be able to determine what's contributing to the knot in your low back and then address it properly. Good luck.

p.s. I'm an LMT

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi

I have muscle spasms in my lower back. I think it's sciatica, but my doctor has not done any major testing or exams to confirm it.

I also have a lot of bladder infections, kidney stones, and because of it, my doctor has put me on muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories. They seem to also help the muscle spasms and what I think is sciatica.

When I had my 2nd knee surgery, I was given a prescription for pain killers, and they didn't help my back the way the meds I'm on now do. Pain pills just don't last as long, and they're addictive and I didn't want to get into that.

Right now, I'm having a problem with the feeling of a knot in my lower back. Feels like I have a baseball stuck in my back, but there's no knot or anything there. The anti-inflammatories help a lot with this though. But when they wear off, it comes back.

Well, thank you for listening to me. I know there are healing verses in the Scripture to meditate on, and keeping focus on Jesus is key to wellness too.

Sounds like you may have a serious case of magnesium deficiency. This is the case with most of us on a diet high in carbohydrates. As Dr. Mark Sircus put it, Magnesium is the super glue that puts calcium in our bones and makes it hard. A magnesium deficiency causes calcium to leech from our bones and get deposited elsewhere, like in our blood, muscles, joints and arterial walls. Too much calcium in our urine also causes kidney stones.

Magnesium is also an effective muscle relaxant. Magnesium is one of the things ER doctors inject in patients suffering a heart attack.

Magnesium chloride is the best form to take. Buy magnesium chloride in liquid form to take internally and transdermally. I do.

Upvote 0

raggedycamel

Goodbye
Aug 21, 2012
✟8,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
WOW thanks you all. Magnesium Chloride. I need to ask my doctor about that. I see him soon.

Yes my doctor said I have a lot of calcium, a buildup, in a way I think.

Once I passed a kidney stone, but I didn't keep it to give it to the doctor. I should have. I remember when I was in pain when it was about to come out. Man it was terrible! And for such a small thing, all the pain!

Thank you all, again for the information! :) :) Highly valuable!

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't be surprised if your doctor doesn't get all that excited about it. Most doctors are, unfortunately, not trained in curative-type treatments, but pharmaceutical ones. I hope this is not the case with yours, but don't be discouraged if it turns out that way. Sometimes you have to take charge of your own health and experiment with natural remedies no one can put a patent on.

This happened to me when the best doctors couldn't cure me of acid reflux and GERD for years, but weren't interested when I tried to tell them what I did to cure myself.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
WOW thanks you all. Magnesium Chloride. I need to ask my doctor about that. I see him soon.

Yes my doctor said I have a lot of calcium, a buildup, in a way I think.

Once I passed a kidney stone, but I didn't keep it to give it to the doctor. I should have. I remember when I was in pain when it was about to come out. Man it was terrible! And for such a small thing, all the pain!

Thank you all, again for the information! :) :) Highly valuable!

Sounds like you have a calcium deficiency. Medical Doctors are not trained in Nutrition. They are trained in allopathic medicine which is not geared at curing disease, but managing disease. You should see a Naturopathic doctor.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What Bobinator said about magnesium is true, but in addition, your parathyroid glands secrete a hormone when your deficient in calcium. This hormone leaches calcium from the bones and into the blood. This calcium has to be filtered by the kidneys and that is how the stones get formed. Your doctor would see high levels of calcium in the blood and tell you to stop eating things rich in calcium which would further worsen the problem.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You could also have a disc problem that as a result your body is clamping down to immobolize the damage which turns into muscle spasms. No one can diagnose your symptoms over the internet, even those with an MD or DO degree, so your best bet is to see a doctor of some type. On a personal level, I tried magnesium for months and it never made any difference for my spine condition.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
DO NOT SEE AN MD. See and Licensed ND. Naturopathic doctor. They get your better and longer lasting results without using drugs which only suppresses your symptoms and does nothing to address the root cause.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rebecca Sue

A child of the King
Mar 7, 2013
Texas
✟28,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have worked in the natural healing field over 20 years. If you do go to a naturopath please research them thoroughly. Check accreditation of college attended and ask to speak with clients as well. I see a naturopath for general health, just proceed with caution to weed out the less desirable. You wouldn't believe what I have seen over the years. There is no regulation establishing standards currently (in US) but there are some talented healers for sure. Just remember the caviat buyer beware. God bless you, hope you get relief soon! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need prayer.

Upvote 0

Yeshuas_My_Freedom

Put your faith in charge, not your fears!
Oct 12, 2015
✟10,187.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Great advice on the deep tissue massage. Very effective for chronically cramped muscle tissue and especialy when it spasms and impinges on nerves.

Have you had an X-ray of the area that's in trouble?
If so you can ask for copies and also consider visiting a Chiropractor. They'll be able to tell you if it is a disc problem looking at the X-ray. And if it isn't but it is a matter of needing an adjustment of your spine to correct the underlying issue, because muscles and bone and tendons and ligaments all work together and if one is off kilter it effects all the others, that Chiropractic adjustment could be the start of the end of your pain.

Be aware that there are some doctors that will suggest surgery for something like this. Fusion of the discs.
Whatever you do, if you never listen to a bit of advice on a forum full of strangers again, listen to this one who knows people who have had that procedure done.

DON'T DO IT!

You think you're in pain now? You've not began to feel pain. Disc fusion is almost dark ages medicine.

Prayers for you. Go natural if you can because you are a holistic being as God made you to be.
Calcium magnesium is a great supplement to nourish your muscles and helps to reduce spasms. Calcium magnesium malate especially since the magnesium malate, malate derived from apples, buffers the effects.
I use to exercise a lot and get muscle spasms even though I stretched regularly. I started taking Calcium Magnesium malate and haven't had a spasm in years.
Hi

Upvote 0

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I had someone on another forum just the other day tell me they had back surgery and that my back pain could easily be 'cured' with surgery. Yeah, I believe that like I believe in snake oil. I am scared to death of back surgery.

They also told me 'all these things are 'fixable'". Made me feel like a fool. That's been bugging me for days.

Upvote 0

Yeshuas_My_Freedom

Oct 12, 2015
✟10,187.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I had someone on another forum just the other day tell me they had back surgery and that my back pain could easily be 'cured' with surgery. Yeah, I believe that like I believe in snake oil. I am scared to death of back surgery.

They also told me 'all these things are 'fixable'". Made me feel like a fool. That's been bugging me for days.
I knew this woman who would do anything a doctor told her to because her job insurance coverage covered the whole thing.
The scalpel fixer upper junkie.
One day she was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. This was back years ago when surgery was the big fixer for that condition. In truth it's incredibly risky. Because should the surgeon slip nerves can be sliced and the arm can be impacted for life.
I told her about deep tissue massage. Best safest fix there is for CTS.
Because her insurance wouldn't cover that she opted for surgery. Sure enough she should have listened. Her surgeon slipped and now she has a piece of tissue hanging from her shoulder that barely has finger movement.
Surgeons told her after multiple consults with different ones that she'll ultimately have to have an amputation.

Shoulda listened.

Don't let someone make you feel like a fool because they favor their at risk treatment over your not wanting to take that same risk.
It's your temple of God, your body,for those not religious or spiritual. You'll have to live there till you die. Love it! Don't suffer in it.

Don't do anything that puts it at risk. Because you have to live with the choices you make. And so do they.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks sis. It was hard enough for me to consent to the shots, but I am glad I did because they are working very well.
Thank you for the advice, I feel better just hearing someone validate the decision I made. I don't know why some people think it is good to put others down when they are already down.:sigh:

Upvote 0

Yeshuas_My_Freedom

Oct 12, 2015
✟10,187.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks sis. It was hard enough for me to consent to the shots, but I am glad I did because they are working very well.
Thank you for the advice, I feel better just hearing someone validate the decision I made. I don't know why some people think it is good to put others down when they are already down.:sigh:
Some people get mad because their experience isn't leading others to follow the advice that comes from it.
And maybe from the attitude they showed you you know where they really are in their head. If they were happy with surgery on their back why would they be cruel to someone else with back issues?

Follow where the holy spirit leads you. I've found when I try to interject my own wisdom or notions when that spirit is so keen on getting my attention that I end up regretting it. Every time without fail.
Trust God isn't a slogan.
There are a few areas where pain can at times be unbearable. The back is certainly one of them. God's strength sustain you and his healing surround you and guide you to the healers he has in store. Amen. :hug:

Upvote 0

Yeshuas_My_Freedom

Oct 12, 2015
✟10,187.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why has everyone passed my comment like i'm crazy? No worldly solution will end this problem it will only temporary stall it and can make the problem even worse. It's all real, are there any followers here to back me up? (Hope so)
The all caps is considered to be like screaming aloud when you write like that in a post.
The rest with the link sounds like self promotion. This thread is for healing prayers for someone else. Not an opportunity for your self promotion.

Reactions: zippy2
Upvote 0