• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Multiple gospels?

Discussion in 'Dispensationalism' started by food4thought, Jan 11, 2018.

1. EastCoastRemnant

EastCoastRemnant I Must Decrease That He May Increase Supporter

+1,441
    SDA
    Married
    That reference by Christ was indeed a fulfillment of Genesis 3:15... He was the seed that would crush the serpents head while having His heel bruised.

2. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,849
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    I think you are mis-reading the text.

The Kingdom being at hand was motivation for repentance and believing the Gospel. That passage does not say what the Gospel was exactly.

3. Dave-W

+15,849
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
  4. food4thought

food4thought Loving truth Supporter

+593
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Happy birthday!

5. food4thought

+593
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Thanks for the thought... not sure I agree, though.

6. food4thought

+593
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Those passages tell us about the gospel, but I am unsure as to whether they could be actually considered "the gospel".

7. Dave-W

+15,849
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Isaiah 53 actually includes the death and resurrection.

And how is a New Covenant (Jeremiah 31) NOT "good news?"

8. Randy777

Randy777 Well-Known Member

+140
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Jesus's mission =>The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners,
    God says: "It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth."

The work of god is to believe in the one He sent.

The worshippers God seeks are those who worship in Spirit and in truth.
    Gal 3:2
    I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard?

If you knew the GIFT of God
    Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

How does God write the new covenant on the hearts of the people?

9. food4thought

+593
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    True, but not exactly what Paul calls the gospel in 1st Corinthians 15:1-8.

This one has me scratching my head, actually. I know it is quoted in Hebrews and there it seems to be referencing the current state of affairs, yet the end of the prophecy obviously speaks of the future Kingdom age where everyone will know the LORD (certainly not the case today). I've always wondered if that covenant might be specifically for the Jews of the Kingdom age... but that is definitely speculation on my part.

10. Randy777

Randy777 Well-Known Member

+140
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    A kingdom that can never be destroyed and is everlasting. Mortal flesh and blood can't inherit the eternal kingdom God promised to those that love Him. At the sounding of the 7th (last trump) the kingdom of this world shall become the kingdom of God and of His Christ.

Acts 2 - he will not let His holy one see decay.

 ‘I saw the Lord always before me.
    Because he is at my right hand,
    I will not be shaken.
    26Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
    my body also will rest in hope,
    27because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
    you will not let your holy one see decay.
    28You have made known to me the paths of life;
    you will fill me with joy in your presence.’e

“Fellow Israelites, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. 30But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31Seeing what was to come, he spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that he was not abandoned to the realm of the dead, nor did his body see decay. 32God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it.

11. Arsenios

Arsenios Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery, Supporter

+982
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    US-Constitution
    John the Baptist proclaimed the Gospel of Christ:
    "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!"

After John was imprisoned, Christ Himself proclaimed the Gospel: "
    Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say,
    "Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

And after Christ's Death and Resurrection, the Apostle Peter said the same:
    Act_2:38 Then Peter said unto them,
    Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ
    for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Paul continued, saying:
    1Co_1:23
    But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

The Good news of the Gospel is the very Presence of the Kingdom of Heaven here and now upon this Earth...
    AND...
    The fact that there is something that YOU CAN DO about it: eg Be repenting and be baptized...
    FOR...
    From John the Baptist till now, the Kingdom of Heaven is suffering violence, and the violent are taking it by force. This is the Good News, that Death is overcome in Christ, and that through repentance, we can be Baptized INTO Christ and into His Death on the Cross, for the remission of our sins, and enter therein into the Kingdom of Heaven...

That is the only core Gospel of Jesus Christ, stated in many ways ...

Arsenios

12. Uber Genius

Uber Genius "Super Genius"

+1,029
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    The advise you have by other respondents is solid.

One gospel.

Those who want to start by grace and be perfected by works (a.k.a "obedience", either to the law or to God) are called:

"ignorant"
    "foolish"
    "bewitched,"

No one is declared righteous by keeping the law or remains righteous by keeping the law.

That is a Satanic heresy.

Trust in Jesus work on the cross and reliance on the spirit. The law doesn't exist anymore.

The spirit does.

This is why Paul contrasts life by the flesh with life by the law (oops) I meant Spirit.

Life lived by obedience to the spirit produces love , joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and self-control. Against these THERE IS NO LAW!

Say bye bye to legalists everywhere, those who reduce listening to the spirit to obedience to God are crafty pharassees trying to put you under a law. Paul hated and cursed them. Don't be deceived by legalism. Not all SDA hold to those views. They are heterodox in their sabbatherian beliefs but those are not essential doctrines of Christianity.

13. Uber Genius

Uber Genius "Super Genius"

+1,029
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Certainly an interesting list with many dates that are not in line at all with current scholarship over the last 25 yrs.

Acts is generally accepted as an early 60-62 dating for instance and revelation being the last book written in around 90 AD.

Donimic Crossen also is neither a scholar as scholars publish peer-reviewed articles and his articles were often rejected by his fellow scholars. He founded the Jesus Seminar with Marcus Borg and developed a path for atheists and mystics to publish outside of Christian scholarship.

He is on par with someone like Bart Erhman. Though capable of fine scholarship often uses rhetorical tricks to lead his audience to false conclusions.

Data is data, but we need to keep a closer eye on scholars with an axe to grind then those without.

14. Revived

Revived Fighting the good fight of faith.

+1,934
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    God has not proclaimed only one gospel, one item of good news, down through the ages, but many. He has qualified the word “gospel” by distinctive titles, just as a woman labels her preserves to distinguish the different goodies she has put up for the winter.

The “gospel of the kingdom” and the “gospel of the grace of God” are not the same, and certainly the “gospel of the circumcision” and the “gospel of the uncircumcision” are not the same.

When we come upon the phrase “the gospel” without any qualifying title, we should immediately ask: “Which gospel?” and invariably the context will provide the answer. Luke 9:6, for example, simply states that the twelve disciples went about “preaching the gospel,” but Verse 2 of the same chapter explains how the Lord had sent them “to preach the kingdom of God” — not the cross, but the kingdom, since He, the King, was in their midst. These disciples could not have engaged in “the preaching of the cross,” as Paul later did, for it was not until at least two years later that the Lord “began” to tell them how He must suffer and die (Matt. 16:21) and Peter “began to rebuke Him” (Ver. 22) and none of the twelve even understood what He was talking about (Luke 18:34).

But whereas “the gospel of the kingdom” had been committed to the twelve while Christ was on earth, “the preaching of the cross” (as good news) and “the gospel of the grace of God” was later committed to the Apostle Paul and to us (1 Cor. 1:18; Acts 20:24).

Today we do not proclaim the kingdom rights of Christ. Rather we proclaim “redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace” (Eph. 1:7).

If you are still struggling a bit, I highly suggest reading the following:
    What Is The Gospel? | RevivedLife.com

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,744
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    What I have in Christ is better, the bible even says so.

16. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,744
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    According to the text, there wasn't another gospel (as it was not good news at all)
    Some people were perverting the good news of Jesus Christ by turning grace into a law ... that's all.

17. food4thought

+593
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Interesting illustration.

Are you referencing Galatians 2:7?

I see.

I am tracking.

Right.

Nice article... not sure I entirely agree that we need not believe that Jesus is Messiah, or that we do not need to repent and believe.

Anyways, he doesn't address my question, nor did you... what do we do with Galatians 1:6-9.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

18. Danoh

Danoh Newbie

+287
    Christian
    Single
    What were the Galatians doing?

Galatians 5:2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. 5:3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. 5:5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

In other words, they were were off-base.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

At the same time, note the obvious there.

How that at one time the Law had been "for righteousness."

The Law had been a gospel.

Deuteronomy 6:24 And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as it is at this day. 6:25 And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us.

An example of the Law for righteousness...

Luke 1:5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth. 1:6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

That right there is a whole study in itself.

Galatians 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

The result being that to mix both those gospels into one, is to end up at "another; which is not another" at all.

It is neither the former, nor the latter one.

Every treadmill salvationist out there, does exactly that.

Thus, their endless treadmill of works, in their hope their works are more than enough to get them, and or keep them...saved.

Such have either been confused all along, or like the Galatians, had once had it right, but at some point fell from an understanding of Grace.

Fact of the matter?

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

In short, Rom. 5: 6-8 - in each our stead.

19. Berl

Berl New Member

+17
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Just terms used to explain the dual nature being addressed in Galatians, the natural man/gentile and Jew fall into that category vs the one new man who knows no one after the flesh 2 Corinthians 5:16, nor judges by äpperance John 7:24. Neither terms are in Christ Galatians 3:28, once that mindset is the new creatures foundation of interpretation you start peeling off the cover story that hides the peärls under it rough exterior, Luke 17:20-21, 1 Corinthians 3:16, no spirituäl mystery in the outer history Galatians 4:24, 2 Corinthians 3:6. .

20. bbbbbbb

bbbbbbb Well-Known Member

+9,586
    Non-Denom
    So, why do you use umlauts over some of your a's?