Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Thou art answered. Thou art inexcusable, O man ...

Now, let's ask a genealogical question about Hagar from the Islamic sources:

This question [at the bottom of this] involves the background, pedigree of Hagar/Agar/Hajira in the authentic Islamic sources.

I shall begin how this question came to be, as it began with a statment I found while researching online in various places.

Wikipedia [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagar_in_Islam [not the most accurate source, I know, but a place to begin an open inquiry]] states the following about the Islamic 'Hajar' [Hagar, Agar, Hajira]: "... He [Abraham] married a Pharos's daughter and her name was Hagar. ..."

This statement, in all of the Islamic sources that I know to look for for authentic verification, I could not find in either a Qur'an [I find not her name mentioned even once therein, neither her pedigree], aHadith [Sahih], neither Tafsir where the Islamic 'Hajar' is a daughter of an Egyptian Pharos.

What I could find in the primary authentic Islamic sources, was that she ['Hajar'] was an Egyptian [pagan] slave girl:

Sahih Al-Bukahri Volume 3, Book 47, Number 803 reveals that the King of Egypt was a "pagan", and that Hagar ['Ajar, Hajar'] was "... a slave-girl for my [Sarah's] service ..."

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "The Prophet Abraham migrated with Sarah. The people (of the town where they migrated) gave her Ajar (i.e. Hajar). Sarah returned and said to Abraham, "Do you know that Allah has humiliated that pagan and he has given a slave-girl for my service?"​

Sahih Al-Bukahri Volume 4, Book 55, Number 578
reveals the same, saying, "... The tyrant then gave Hajar as a girl-servant to Sarah. ... game me [Sarah] Hajar for service. ..."

Volume 4, Book 55, Number 578:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Abraham did not tell a lie except on three occasion. Twice for the Sake of Allah when he said, "I am sick," and he said, "(I have not done this but) the big idol has done it." The (third was) that while Abraham and Sarah (his wife) were going (on a journey) they passed by (the territory of) a tyrant.

Someone said to the tyrant, "This man (i.e. Abraham) is accompanied by a very charming lady." So, he sent for Abraham and asked him about Sarah saying, "Who is this lady?" Abraham said, "She is my sister." Abraham went to Sarah and said, "O Sarah! There are no believers on the surface of the earth except you and I. This man asked me about you and I have told him that you are my sister, so don't contradict my statement." The tyrant then called Sarah and when she went to him, he tried to take hold of her with his hand, but (his hand got stiff and) he was confounded. He asked Sarah. "Pray to Allah for me, and I shall not harm you." So Sarah asked Allah to cure him and he got cured. He tried to take hold of her for the second time, but (his hand got as stiff as or stiffer than before and) was more confounded. He again requested Sarah, "Pray to Allah for me, and I will not harm you." Sarah asked Allah again and he became alright. He then called one of his guards (who had brought her) and said, "You have not brought me a human being but have brought me a devil." The tyrant then gave Hajar as a girl-servant to Sarah. Sarah came back (to Abraham) while he was praying. Abraham, gesturing with his hand, asked, "What has happened?" She replied, "Allah has spoiled the evil plot of the infidel (or immoral person) and gave me Hajar for service." (Abu Huraira then addressed his listeners saying, "That (Hajar) was your mother, O Bani Ma-is-Sama (i.e. the Arabs, the descendants of Ishmael, Hajar's son)."​

Sahih Al-Bukahri Volume 7, Book 62, Number 21 reveals the same, saying, "... (The tyrant) gave her [Sarah] Hajar. Sara said, "... gave me Hajar to serve me. ..."

Volume 7, Book 62, Number 21:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said: Abraham did not tell lies except three. (One of them was) when Abraham passed by a tyrant and (his wife) Sara was accompanying him (Abu Huraira then mentioned the whole narration and said
smiley.gif
(The tyrant) gave her Hajar. Sara said, "Allah saved me from the hands of the Kafir (i.e. infidel) and gave me Hajar to serve me." (Abu Huraira added
smiley.gif
That (Hajar) is your mother, O Banu Ma'-As-Sama' (i.e., the Arabs).​

Sahih Muslim, Book 030, Chapter 38, Number 5848, says, "... he [tyrant] gave Hajira ['Hagar, Hajar, Ajar'] as a gift to her [Sarah]. ... gave me [Sarah] a maid-servant. ..."

Book 030, Number 5848:

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) never told a lie but only thrice: two times for the sake of Allah (for example, his words):" I am sick," and his words:" But it was the big one amongst them which has done that" and because of Sara (his wife). He had come in a land inhabited by haughty and cruel men along with Sara. She was very good-looking amongst the people, so he said to her: If these were to know that you are my wife they would snatch you away from me, so if they ask you tell that you are my sister and in fact you are my sister in Islam, and I do not know of any other Muslim in this land besides I and you. And when they entered that land the tyrants came to see her and said to him (the king): 'there comes to your land a woman, whom you alone deserve to possess, so he (the kings sent someone (towards her) and she was brought and Ibrahim (peace be upon him) stood in preyer, and when she visited him (the tyrant king came) he could help but stretch his hand towards her and his hand was tied up. He said: Supplicate Allah so that He may release my hand and I will do no harm to you. She did that and the man repeated (the same highhandedness) and his hand was again tied up more tightly than on the first occasion and he said to her like that and she again did that (supplicated), but he repeated (the same highhandedness and his hands were tied up more tightly than on the previous occasion). He then again said: Supplicate your Lord so that He may set my hand free; by. @llah I shall do no harm to you. She did and his hand was freed. Then he called the person who had brought her and said to him: You have brought to me the satan and you have not brought to me a human being, so turn them out from my land, and he gave Hajira as a gift to her. She returned (along with Hajira) and when Ibrahim (peace be upon him) saw her, he said: How have you returned? She said: With full safety (have I returned). Allah held the hand of that debauch and he gave me a maid-servant. Abu Hiaraira said: O sons of the rain of the sky, she is your mother.​

Tafsir of Ibn Kathir [abridged 10 Volume, PDF page 3218, under section "How Ibrahim Broke The Idols", commenting on Al Anbiya 21:57-63], is it said,

".... Take her out and give her Hajar. So she was taken out and given Hajar, and she went back. When Ibrahim realized that she had come back, he finished his prayer and turned around. He said, "What happened'' She said, "Allah took care of the evil disbeliever's plot, and he gave me Hajar as a servant.'') ..."​

The various statements I read in the primary authentic Islamic sources seem to corroborate the Biblical [KJB] account, that Hagar was only an pagan Egyptian slave-girl of no noble birth [ie. not the daughter of the king of Egypt, yet his slave-girl] whatsoever, as read from the following verses:

The account given by the prophet of Jehovah, - Moses, in Genesis [KJB]:

Genesis 16:1 KJB - Now Sarai Abram's wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar.

Genesis 16:2 KJB - And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.

Genesis 16:3 KJB - And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.

Genesis 16:8 KJB - And he said, Hagar, Sarai's maid, whence camest thou? and whither wilt thou go? And she said, I flee from the face of my mistress Sarai.

Genesis 21:9 KJB - And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking.

Genesis 21:10 KJB - Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.

Genesis 21:11 KJB - And the thing was very grievous in Abraham's sight because of his son.

Genesis 21:12 KJB - And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.

Genesis 21:13 KJB - And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed.

Genesis 21:21 KJB - And he dwelt in the wilderness of Paran: and his mother took him a wife out of the land of Egypt.

Genesis 25:12 KJB - Now these are the generations of Ishmael, Abraham's son, whom Hagar the Egyptian, Sarah's handmaid, bare unto Abraham:​

and the Apostle Paul's New Testament Epistle to the Galatians:

Galatians 4:21 KJB - Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?

Galatians 4:22 KJB - For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

Galatians 4:23 KJB - But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

Galatians 4:24 KJB - Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

Galatians 4:25 KJB - For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

Galatians 4:26 KJB - But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

Galatians 4:27 KJB - For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.

Galatians 4:28 KJB - Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

Galatians 4:29 KJB - But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

Galatians 4:30 KJB - Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

Galatians 4:31 KJB - So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.​

The idea that Hagar was the daughter of Pharoah actually comes from a Midrashic [Talmudic Jewish], Rabbah 45:1, source - Hagar: Midrash and Aggadah | Jewish Women's Archive

Therefore, I must disagree with any Islamic position which regards Hajar still possibly being the daughter of a Pharos [king of Egypt, which comes from a Midrashic source], according to the Islamic authentic source, since it is written that she [Hajar] was a slave-girl before being given for Sarah's service, which is how Sahih al Bukhari, narrated by Abu Huraira [a most close companion of Muhammad]:

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 3, Book 47, Number 803 reveals that the King of Egypt was a "pagan", and that Hagar ['Ajar, Hajar'] was "... a slave-girl for my [Sarah's] service ..."

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "The Prophet Abraham migrated with Sarah. The people (of the town where they migrated) gave her Ajar (i.e. Hajar). Sarah returned and said to Abraham, "Do you know that Allah has humiliated that pagan and he has given a slave-girl for my service?"​

Therefore, with these finds in my own personal research and studies, I came to the question:

Is there specific reference in the primary authentic Islamic sources where Hagar [Hajar, Hajira, Agar] is actually stated to be the daughter of the king of Egypt, Pharaoh and not just a slave-girl of pagan Egypt? If so, would you please cite and list that source/s with link [where possible].

Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I generally try to avoid trying to harmonize them into a flawless coherent whole. Generally speaking, I tend to give Luke more weight in regard to the narrative history of the Gospel story; largely because I think this is closer to his intent (Luke 1:1-4). Matthew's text has a different purpose and intent than Luke's. Matthew's text seems to place a far greater emphasis on Jesus messianic identity for a Jewish audience. Matthew's genealogy reflects this by beginning with Abraham and counting down fourteen generations from three periods: Abraham to David, David to the Exile, the Exile to Jesus. For Matthew, Jesus' importance from within the story of Israel is most important. Compare with Luke, who counts backward from Jesus all the way back to Adam.

Others may have their own ways of trying to reconcile or harmonize the genealogies. I personally don't think it's necessary, it's certainly not something that keeps me up at night.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0