Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I happened to listen to the "Mull of Kintyre" the other day; by Wings and Paul McCartney from 1977; which it was the most popular single world wide till the 90s "Candle in Wind" by Elton John:
From Wiki:
"Mull of Kintyre" is a song by the British rock band Wings written by Paul McCartney and Denny Laine. The song was written in tribute to the picturesque Kintyre peninsula in Scotland and its headland, the Mull of Kintyre, where McCartney has owned High Park Farm since 1966. The song was Wings' biggest hit in Britain where it became the 1977 Christmas number one, and was the first single to sell over two million copies nationwide."

I think it's simply a very beautiful song; and as I am of Scottish ancestry; it calls to me about a land I have never seen; but would like to; the lyrics start with;

"Mull of Kintyre
Oh mist rolling in from the sea,
My desire
Is always to be here
Oh Mull of Kintyre"

Paul McCartney & Wings - Mull of Kintyre

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I happened to listen to the "Mull of Kintyre" the other day; by Wings and Paul McCartney from 1977; which it was the most popular single world wide till the 90s "Candle in Wind" by Elton John

Wow, I'd forgotten it was such a big hit. That is something - outselling Madonna, and Michael Jackson! I was about five years old when this was released.

Still some way to go to beat Bing Crosby - White Christmas though!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, I'd forgotten it was such a big hit. That is something - outselling Madonna, and Michael Jackson! I was about five years old when this was released.

Still some way to go to beat Bing Crosby - White Christmas though!

Yup; there is only one White Christmas; it was the top number one for 3 different years in the late forty's. Then Billboard magazine made a special top seasonal hit parade list; just because of songs like it.:)

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I happened to listen to the "Mull of Kintyre" the other day; by Wings and Paul McCartney from 1977; which it was the most popular single world wide till the 90s "Candle in Wind" by Elton John:
From Wiki:
"Mull of Kintyre" is a song by the British rock band Wings written by Paul McCartney and Denny Laine. The song was written in tribute to the picturesque Kintyre peninsula in Scotland and its headland, the Mull of Kintyre, where McCartney has owned High Park Farm since 1966. The song was Wings' biggest hit in Britain where it became the 1977 Christmas number one, and was the first single to sell over two million copies nationwide."

I think it's simply a very beautiful song; and as I am of Scottish ancestry; it calls to me about a land I have never seen; but would like to; the lyrics start with;

"Mull of Kintyre
Oh mist rolling in from the sea,
My desire
Is always to be here
Oh Mull of Kintyre"

Paul McCartney & Wings - Mull of Kintyre

Like you, I am of Scottish heritage but have never seen my ancient homeland. I regard "Mull of Kintyre" as an absolutely beautiful piece of music. It brings tears to my eyes.

• Agree
Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0