Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If they were on the left, the media would refer to them as "activists" and heap praise on them for "making a difference". Because their cause is not politically correct according to the MSM, they get called vigilantes. Among other things.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,665.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If they were on the left, the media would refer to them as "activists" and heap praise on them for "making a difference".

You just keep on telling yourself that.

I hear the minuteman project nabbed in 15 days what took 4 months last year. Those people are doing great work. The border patrol sure seems defensive though. You would think that they would side with people trying to help them.

Upvote 0

butterfoot

Formerly Known as cameronw
Dec 16, 2004
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Vylo said:
[/size][/font]

You just keep on telling yourself that.

I hear the minuteman project nabbed in 15 days what took 4 months last year. Those people are doing great work. The border patrol sure seems defensive though. You would think that they would side with people trying to help them.

If you read on the Minutemen web page they are working closely with the Border Patrol.

I am sure the Border Patrol likes having the help so that it makes their job easier and they can consentrate on other problem areas.

-cw

Upvote 0

mpshiel

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2003
I've been told "Sodom" so I guess that's close eno
Visit site
✟19,234.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to "The Economist" April 6th 2005, the Minutemen have been called "vigilantes" by Bush and are officially disapproved of by Agencies on both sides of the border as a) constantly setting off thier detectors and interferring with thier work and b) causing risk of injury to themselves and other.

I do find it interesting that they need to proclaim so loudly that they have nothing to do with racism. Are they ever planning to open up a minuteman branch on the OTHER border (you know, the one over twice as big) and start catching white illegals? Or perhaps, such as in Britian, it is not whether someone is illegal, it is the skin colour of thier illegality which is often more important (only 12% of those in the UK surveyed wanted any more immigrants of other skin colours regardless of whether they were legal or illegal). But I assume arizona is much much more tolerant than the United Kingdom, after all that's what people think of when you say "Arizona" - Tolerance (and being one of the top 4 states where you are likely to be mistreated or left to die if you have HIV according to the 2004 Human Rights report).

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,665.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you read on the Minutemen web page they are working closely with the Border Patrol.

I am sure the Border Patrol likes having the help so that it makes their job easier and they can consentrate on other problem areas.

I am sure some of the border patrol does appreciate their assistance, but I have heard some rather snide comments coming from them.

Upvote 0

tollytee

Feb 19, 2005
Sun Valley, Nevada
✟1,910.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
mpshiel said:
According to "The Economist" April 6th 2005, the Minutemen have been called "vigilantes" by Bush and are officially disapproved of by Agencies on both sides of the border as a) constantly setting off thier detectors and interferring with thier work and b) causing risk of injury to themselves and other.

I do find it interesting that they need to proclaim so loudly that they have nothing to do with racism.

Bush said he didn't approve of vigilantes, he did not say the Minutemen were, in fact, vigilantes. The left's interpretation of the president's remarks is wrong.

It is only those on the left who are infusing race into the issue.

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
tollytee said:
Perhaps you should expand your reading list so you can get facts instead of regurgitated, liberal, swill.

Now, tollytee, that goes both ways. When the Minuteman Project started (and even now, I bet) there have been conservatives who had their panties in a twist because the ACLU was down there in Arizona watching. Hannity had a guy on the radio last night, who was some leader of the Minuteman, who said they were working closely with the ACLU, and they were glad the ACLU was there.

I suggest that neither side has a monopoly on the regurgitated swill.

Upvote 0

mpshiel

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2003
I've been told "Sodom" so I guess that's close eno
Visit site
✟19,234.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
tollytee said:
Bush said he didn't approve of vigilantes, he did not say the Minutemen were, in fact, vigilantes. Perhaps you should expand your reading list so you can get facts instead of regurgitated, liberal, swill.

It is only those on the left who are infusing race into the issue.

From Page 39 of the Economist (April 9th):

"Around 200 self stylized Minutemen (President Bush calls them vigilanties) have gathered on Arizona's border with Mexico to protect America from illegal immigrants....The Border patrol complains that the Minutemen, many of them carrying guns, are accidentally setting off alarm beacons and risking harming both themselves and their prey. The mayor of the nearby town of Douglas, which is mostly Latino, calls the project racist."

If you have an issue please contact thier offices at www.economist.com/email

I have provided a source and now a quote - you have provided dispersions on my research which is backed up by an attack on "the left" (which seems to be any who disagree with you). You also provide no resource for your assertion.

If you truely feel that a magazine targetted at corporate CEO's, executives and decisions makers and devoted entirely to the continuation of business and creation of wealth to be a "left" or "Liberal" magazine (amazing since last month they dedicated an entire issue to "What is corporate responsibility? Answer: Environment..no, Worker rights...no. Making tons of money - YES!)....what magazine is "right"?

Again, if you believe that the magazine is in error and does not provide "facts" instead of "regurgitated, liberal, swill" please contact them. As they will likely have at least two sources to back up thier articles, I expect you will have the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zippythepinhead

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
mpshiel said:

I do find it interesting that they need to proclaim so loudly that they have nothing to do with racism. Are they ever planning to open up a minuteman branch on the OTHER border (you know, the one over twice as big) and start catching white illegals? Or perhaps, such as in Britian, it is not whether someone is illegal, it is the skin colour of thier illegality which is often more important (only 12% of those in the UK surveyed wanted any more immigrants of other skin colours regardless of whether they were legal or illegal). But I assume arizona is much much more tolerant than the United Kingdom, after all that's what people think of when you say "Arizona" - Tolerance (and being one of the top 4 states where you are likely to be mistreated or left to die if you have HIV according to the 2004 Human Rights report).
I think it is time to patrol both borders. Esepecially stopping all those fleeing Canadians:eek:

Upvote 0

tollytee

Feb 19, 2005
Sun Valley, Nevada
✟1,910.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
OhhJim said:
Now, tollytee, that goes both ways. When the Minuteman Project started (and even now, I bet) there have been conservatives who had their panties in a twist because the ACLU was down there in Arizona watching. Hannity had a guy on the radio last night, who was some leader of the Minuteman, who said they were working closely with the ACLU, and they were glad the ACLU was there.

I suggest that neither side has a monopoly on the regurgitated swill.

Touche. Your right.

Upvote 0