CA
✟17,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married
It was a while ago now, but I originally joined this forum group after being given an old family copy of the Bible that had been my great-grandmothers. It's a beautiful Scofield edition, which I believe is the King James edition, printed some time before the 1940's, when there weren't a lot of other options. I happen to enjoy the old English, even though it can be tricky in places.

My goal has been to read through the whole thing. It's taken me over a year to get through Genesis, so this might be a while, but I'm now in Exodus. What a story so far!

The beginning of Genesis is beautiful, mysterious, and bizarre. I found myself wondering what the waters were (Genesis 1:2) that existed before even light. It's an interesting symbol, but I can't say I know what it is. Space, maybe? Or something more spiritual, less direct.

Then there's the progression of the patriarchs of Judaism, from Adam to Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph. I really felt sorry for Lot. His was a very dark and strange story. He lost his city and his wife in rapid succession. The thing with his daughters getting him drunk was very uncomfortable, but it was a different time and a different place.

Esau being robbed of his birthright was also very strange. Rebecca tricks Isaac into blessing Jacob instead, and apparently there was no way to take that back once Isaac realized he had been tricked. I'm not sure I understand the meaning of that, as it seems unjust, but then, Jacob went on to live a good life and Joseph really moved the story of God's people forward, making them beloved in Egypt and saving all of the middle-east from starvation. Perhaps that was the ultimate wisdom, but I could have missed something.

Speaking of Joseph, I love that story so much. I remember watching an old cartoon about him as a kid (can't remember the title), and then the more modern Joseph: King of Dreams. It's such a great story of crisis and victory, being sold into slavery and rising to be the second most powerful figure in Egypt. It ends Genesis on such a happy note, with the Hebrew people moving to Egypt and flourishing. Very sad, what follows in Exodus.

I've just started Exodus, and already I see parallels to more modern history. The Pharaoh reminds me of so many leaders through history who saw a minority people and said, essentially, "we can't trust them, let's find a way to deal with them". The Turks did this to the Armenians under similar pretense (they'll side with Russia and fight us, we can't trust them), the Jews in Germany during WWII, and many others. "...given the right circumstances, normal human beings are all too ready to kill by category.” -Daniel Chirot

In short, the story begins in a world that seems very foreign to the one of today, with talking snakes, a woman turning to salt, rain flooding the world, and people living for hundreds of years; but by the time the book concludes and the next one begins, the world begins to look more familiar.

What parts of Genesis stood out to you? Any parts that felt particularly meaningful? I'd love to hear others experiences of the book, having just completed it.

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What parts of Genesis stood out to you? Any parts that felt particularly meaningful? I'd love to hear others experiences of the book, having just completed it.
Much of Genesis.
Chapter 3, gives great insight to man's fallen condition.
The story of Abraham willing to sacrifice his long awaited son is full of types of God sacrificing His only begotten Son.
The story of Joseph, I find very touching, especially his reunion with his brothers in Egypt.

Upvote 0

ByAnyOtherName

Dec 13, 2018
CA
✟17,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married
Much of Genesis.
Chapter 3, gives great insight to man's fallen condition.

Yes, I've read through that story many times, and have always been torn about how to perceive it. There's the loss of innocence and a sense of God's punishment and displeasure with us, but also there's the bit at the end that seems to make it out to be a good thing, as though the human race were given more potential, to be more:

"And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:" (Genesis 3:22)

That tree of life, which I believe alludes to Christ:

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3)

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It was a while ago now, but I originally joined this forum group after being given an old family copy of the Bible that had been my great-grandmothers. It's a beautiful Scofield edition, which I believe is the King James edition, printed some time before the 1940's, when there weren't a lot of other options. I happen to enjoy the old English, even though it can be tricky in places.

My goal has been to read through the whole thing. It's taken me over a year to get through Genesis, so this might be a while, but I'm now in Exodus. What a story so far!

The beginning of Genesis is beautiful, mysterious, and bizarre. I found myself wondering what the waters were (Genesis 1:2) that existed before even light. It's an interesting symbol, but I can't say I know what it is. Space, maybe? Or something more spiritual, less direct.

Then there's the progression of the patriarchs of Judaism, from Adam to Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph. I really felt sorry for Lot. His was a very dark and strange story. He lost his city and his wife in rapid succession. The thing with his daughters getting him drunk was very uncomfortable, but it was a different time and a different place.

Esau being robbed of his birthright was also very strange. Rebecca tricks Isaac into blessing Jacob instead, and apparently there was no way to take that back once Isaac realized he had been tricked. I'm not sure I understand the meaning of that, as it seems unjust, but then, Jacob went on to live a good life and Joseph really moved the story of God's people forward, making them beloved in Egypt and saving all of the middle-east from starvation. Perhaps that was the ultimate wisdom, but I could have missed something.

Speaking of Joseph, I love that story so much. I remember watching an old cartoon about him as a kid (can't remember the title), and then the more modern Joseph: King of Dreams. It's such a great story of crisis and victory, being sold into slavery and rising to be the second most powerful figure in Egypt. It ends Genesis on such a happy note, with the Hebrew people moving to Egypt and flourishing. Very sad, what follows in Exodus.

I've just started Exodus, and already I see parallels to more modern history. The Pharaoh reminds me of so many leaders through history who saw a minority people and said, essentially, "we can't trust them, let's find a way to deal with them". The Turks did this to the Armenians under similar pretense (they'll side with Russia and fight us, we can't trust them), the Jews in Germany during WWII, and many others. "...given the right circumstances, normal human beings are all too ready to kill by category.” -Daniel Chirot

In short, the story begins in a world that seems very foreign to the one of today, with talking snakes, a woman turning to salt, rain flooding the world, and people living for hundreds of years; but by the time the book concludes and the next one begins, the world begins to look more familiar.

It is simply water (just like what a person drinks) no symbolism.

“When the plain sense of Scripture makes common sense, seek no other sense; therefore, take every word at its primary, ordinary, usual, literal meaning unless the facts of the immediate context, studied in the light of related passages and axiomatic and fundamental truths, indicate clearly otherwise.” –Dr. David L. Cooper (1886-1965),

Upvote 0

ByAnyOtherName

Dec 13, 2018
CA
✟17,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married
It is simply water (just like what a person drinks) no symbolism.

In your view, what is the water? One thought would be the ocean. There was water, then light, then a division of light and darkness, then a firmament which divided the waters. A firmament is the sky, yeah? So a division of the waters below and the waters above. But there is no water above the sky, unless you count moisture in the air. I'm not sure I follow what's being described if taken literally.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In your view, what is the water? One thought would be the ocean. There was water, then light, then a division of light and darkness, then a firmament which divided the waters. A firmament is the sky, yeah? So a division of the waters below and the waters above. But there is no water above the sky, unless you count moisture in the air. I'm not sure I follow what's being described if taken literally.

In Genesis 1:1 is seen the creation of heaven and earth, in 1:2 is seen the restoration of the earth created in Genesis 1:1 for human life.

The water is above us, above the sun, moon and stars, above the raqia. that is the second large body of water (like the ocean below). What is being described, in Genesis chapter 1 is a completely different creation. Than what is stated as creation by science.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I've read through that story many times, and have always been torn about how to perceive it. There's the loss of innocence and a sense of God's punishment and displeasure with us, but also there's the bit at the end that seems to make it out to be a good thing, as though the human race were given more potential, to be more:

"And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:" (Genesis 3:22)

That tree of life, which I believe alludes to Christ:

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3)
Here is the first Gospel mentioned in Gen 3.15...
Genesis 3:15 (KJV) And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What parts of Genesis stood out to you? Any parts that felt particularly meaningful

The way God dealt so gently with Adam after he ate the fruit.
He reqularly met with Adam and after Adams rebellion, even though he knew what had happened he gave Adam multiple chances to come clean.
He called, where are you? An all knowing God knew where he was.
He asked what have you done?
He listened as Adam blaimed the woman that God had made for him.
He listened as Eve blamed the creature that God had made.
Notice how that pattern is repeated ever time someone sins and does not admit it.
It is always the fault of someone else.

Even in punishment there is God's provision for them. He provided clothing, an animal died to cover them.
That Is symbolic of the animal sacrifices that covered mens sins and points to the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus.

Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟96,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shalom @ByAnyOtherName

I was really delighted in reading your post. You're starting the most epic journey there is, and it sounds like you are reading thr Bible correctly - slowly, diligently and noticing parallels.

I'm sure Yahweh has great plans for you as it sounds like He is opening your eyes, heart and mind to the Scriptures. How exciting!

As for your question, there's so much that stands out in Genesis that we could probably talk for hours. But for me it's probably Noah's flood, as it is a parallel of the future. It is a crucial turning point in history and explains all of our history - underwater cities, worldwide flood stories in all cultures, fossils (even of whales on mountains) and the many layers of water-sorted sentimentary rock which forms our land. (Evolutionists have their own interpretation of this same data, but the vast ages they conclude are based upon assumptive principles and tools calibrated on assumptive standards).

Anyway, thank you for your very well written post and I look forward to hearing more as you progress. Wait until you get to Judges, Samuel and Kings - it gets hectic!

Love & Shalom

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I've read all kinds of ideas about what the waters are, and I myself can't answer that question. But one thing I have heard is that Genesis 1, like some other creation accounts from the ANE (ancient near east), portrays God as Creator who brings order out of chaos. That primeval chaos was commonly represented by the deep waters of the sea. So whatever the waters might literally be, they're also symbolic of the original chaos that God tamed during his creation work.

The story of original chaos doesn't end there. At the end of Genesis 1 God's command to mankind was to subdue the earth. That didn't mean to take advantage of it, but to tame the chaos that remained. Some Christians believe that when God created the earth that the entire planet was originally like Eden. But the Bible doesn't say that. It says that Eden had a particular location and that God planted a garden in that location. Everywhere else was wild, and the original purpose of mankind was to spread out and turn the earth into a garden planet, subduing the chaos. So we, being God's images here on earth, were intended to continue God's work of bringing order out of chaos.

I think it's a beautiful purpose. It didn't turn out that way of course, but if you peek ahead to the very last two chapters of the Bible (Revelation 21 and 22) you'll see that this age has ended and the next one has begun, and there's a new heaven and a new earth. I love how the first two chapters of the Bible are reflected in the last two, both describing the beginning of an age.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Reading Genesis along with other Ancient Near East creation myths will help you understand the genre and the tropes people were concerned with at the time.

Sumerian Myth:
Epic of Gilgamesh

Babylonian Myth:
Enuma Elish

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
I've read all kinds of ideas about what the waters are, and I myself can't answer that question. But one thing I have heard is that Genesis 1, like some other creation accounts from the ANE (ancient near east), portrays God as Creator who brings order out of chaos. That primeval chaos was commonly represented by the deep waters of the sea. So whatever the waters might literally be, they're also symbolic of the original chaos that God tamed during his creation work.

The story of original chaos doesn't end there. At the end of Genesis 1 God's command to mankind was to subdue the earth. That didn't mean to take advantage of it, but to tame the chaos that remained. Some Christians believe that when God created the earth that the entire planet was originally like Eden. But the Bible doesn't say that. It says that Eden had a particular location and that God planted a garden in that location. Everywhere else was wild, and the original purpose of mankind was to spread out and turn the earth into a garden planet, subduing the chaos. So we, being God's images here on earth, were intended to continue God's work of bringing order out of chaos.

I think it's a beautiful purpose. It didn't turn out that way of course, but if you peek ahead to the very last two chapters of the Bible (Revelation 21 and 22) you'll see that this age has ended and the next one has begun, and there's a new heaven and a new earth. I love how the first two chapters of the Bible are reflected in the last two, both describing the beginning of an age.
Genesis is a reflection of how ancient peoples from the Ancient Near East thought of the cosmos and their place in it. It should be considered as a mythic interpretation of reality, not an actual description of historical narrative.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Genesis is a reflection of how ancient peoples from the Ancient Near East thought of the cosmos and their place in it. It should be considered as a mythic interpretation of reality, not an actual description of historical narrative.
If there is no God, then sure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ByAnyOtherName

Dec 13, 2018
CA
✟17,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married
So whatever the waters might literally be, they're also symbolic of the original chaos that God tamed during his creation work.

That symbolic analysis is more what I'm interested in. The concept of bringing order from chaos is certainly something to consider, like a farmer bringing order to a chaotic field. I could see that being the case here. There may be many meanings to the term "waters". Scripture tends to be deeply poetic, and explaining the unobservable in human terms would certainly require the use of analogy, particularly to a humanity in the more primitive era to whom Genesis was delivered.

I think it's a beautiful purpose. It didn't turn out that way of course, but if you peek ahead to the very last two chapters of the Bible (Revelation 21 and 22) you'll see that this age has ended and the next one has begun, and there's a new heaven and a new earth.

When did the old age end and the new one begin, in your understanding?

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
When did the old age end and the new one begin, in your understanding?
I wasn't being clear, I'm sorry. Like all orthodox Christians I believe we're still in the age that began with Eden. I was trying to describe how Revelation 21 and Revelation 22 depict the next age as they look back onto this one. I didn't mean to imply that we were yet living in that age.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Joseph’s story was very meaningful. Each utterance of “and the Lord was with him” was a balm to my spirit. I also appreciated Jacob’s final words to his children. He addressed their character and I plan to do the same.

~Bella

Upvote 0