Moving from "Best Friends" into a relationship?

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have been in the process of this lately....

What, to you, are the differences between being best friends with someone and being in a relationship? What would change? What turbulence is normal?

Also, what is the difference between being best friends who really, really love each other vs. in love?

(that sounds like a DUMB question, but the other day someone tried to convince me that my friend and I are not actually in love, so I have to ask myself this question.)

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
See, we have always cuddled each other and stuff....

The idea of us having children together sounds daunting, because my friend is a very energetic person and so I sometimes wonder how long the future would hold at our pace.... but yes. I would be happy with us sharing lives.

A best friend - Check.
A good lover - Probably check.
A good provider - Meh.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The first thing that comes to my mind is that when two move beyond friends, a greater emotional and physical intimacy becomes part of the equation. Excellent friendship is a great basis for any romantic relationship, but as two progress into more than just friends obviously there is greater physical intimacy. What is sometimes overlooked though is that there is greater emotional intimacy, you and your significant other begin opening up to each other about deep, personal things. You celebrate things, grieve things, and allow each other into the deep recesses of your heart, soul and mind - exposing them to those things that make you who you are at a very elemental level.

Upvote 0

TheGirlOnFire

By order of the Peaky blinders
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2014
Hogwarts
✟124,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I would say you would know, as it would be different from your other friendships
And of course the intimacy side of it.

You would just want to BE with them if that makes sense. You also get the feeling, you just know.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,677.00
Faith
Christian
Just keep doing what you're doing. Obviously you're both doing something right, so just keep doing whatever that is.

Don't over think, or strive to achieve some special state. Things will happen naturally, so don't try to force anything. Not everything in life needs to have have a reason, neither does it need to be methodically planned out.

If it feels good, keep doing it. The worst case scenario? You make a mistake - which incidentally, is what we're all put here to do.

Upvote 0