US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Finished this series on Netflix the other day. It's about a girl who records tapes to explain her suicide. I am still really affected by watching this movie like I knew the person or if it was real.

Things like this happen irl everyday. What can Christian do to stop things like this?

I would like to do something about bullying, suicide, and homelessness. I feel like prayer is good but i also want to physically do something.

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just being kind. When I was very depressed, sometimes a smile from a stranger was the only thing that kept me hanging on. Be a beacon of light in the darkness.

You could volunteer for a mentoring program, like Big Brothers/Big Sisters. Or you could volunteer for a crisis or suicide prevention hotline. Serve meals at a soup kitchen. There are many ways you can help by just donating your time.

Upvote 0

DavidaAC

Apr 26, 2017
US
✟9,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure about suicide and bullying problems, but praying does work and building people up/encouraging them helps a lot too. For homelessness, I like the idea of helping people find jobs and/or teaching them the skills they need to get a certain job. Even helping them make things to sell somewhere or something could be a good thing to do. And then there is also volunteering, donating, things like that.

Reactions: Poppyseed78
Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you notice something (someone being a jerk to another or a bully) say something- to the bully and say something kind to the one being bullied. I was bullied a lot in school (and by the same kids who went to my church; so I never could really escape it socially since they overlapped- and many times the cruelest bullies were the kids at church) and often wished someone would have just spoken up for me or just said something kind to me/befriended me. I am only in touch with a handful of people I went to school with (these friends try to friend everyone in our class) and what I can tell from FB interactions from those friends and the people who really seemed to hate me; I have a pretty good life in the end. The best revenge is a well lived life. In my experience, bullies are hurting, have tragic or chaotic home lives, don't know how to handle how insecure they are, and take it out on others. It doesn't excuse anything, but it does give greater understanding to how to handle it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I have an episode or 2 of the series under my belt, and keep meaning to finish it. Seems I watch half or so of a movie on NF lately and then go look for something else.

I agree we should step up to the plate with bullies, I personally can't stand them. If that worries you, think David and Goliath, and make for darned sure God is on your side. :)

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anything you can do to make the person feel connected to you is helpful. You have to maintain boundaries, though—and you always have to be honest. If all you did the rest of your life was to make people feel more cared about (which is not so easy to do, since you don't get to decide their response to you), great would be your reward in heaven.

Upvote 0

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
maybe suicide call center.
you can tell her/him that she have the option of doing God's will.
or try to do that to the whatever extent she manages.
and than I assume he would help her. if she gets quite serious about it.

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just being kind. When I was very depressed, sometimes a smile from a stranger was the only thing that kept me hanging on. Be a beacon of light in the darkness.

You could volunteer for a mentoring program, like Big Brothers/Big Sisters. Or you could volunteer for a crisis or suicide prevention hotline. Serve meals at a soup kitchen. There are many ways you can help by just donating your time.
I agree. I've actually started watching it about an hour ago. I used to be extremely depressed to the point of constant suicide ideation. I even thought of the two separate letters I'd leave with my workplace [workplace bullying] and my family. Only thing that truly pulled me out of that deep hole was Jesus. He was the only One there for me at my darkest hour. At work, I'd play music and have earphones in during my break. I'd play some really angry music-my way of coping at the time because it felt like the lyrics was something I could relate to and that the words were expressing my heart- the hurt, the anger, the frustrations of it all.. Jesus showed up in my room one night and instead of taking my own life, I decided to surrender my life to Jesus and in exchange, He gave me new life : )
A friendly smile and a kind word can do wonders. A hug can also be quite healing-at least temporarily. It's quite soothing. I don't remember getting hugs though from strangers or anything like that. I've heard of stories where people would feel led by God to give someone a hug and realize that that person really needed it and was going through some really tough stuff.

Upvote 0