[MOVED] What happens when a non-NASA astronaut is asked about the shape of the earth?

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Again, that's like saying that it's impossible to prove that 2+2 = 4 because there are unsolved problems in mathematics.

No it's like saying you don't have necessary evidence to support your claimed model.

Because every measurement and piece of evidence is dismissed as part of a conspiracy.

Didn't think so. That's it, I'm one of those crazy foolish Christians who actually takes God at his word when He tells us the devil runs the world and lies are his native language. Be not deceived.

atmospheric refraction

Yes, everyone accepts atmospheric refraction, but no the refractive index of air is insufficient to account for objects visible at long distances. Plus you might remember the Lake Michigan vid where the guys keep filming the Chicago skyline as they approach and recede from it. That one's been done in so many different ways. Nailed shut mate.

the 'Behind the Curve' documentary

Ah, you mean the doco where the makers falsely and dishonestly claimed that flat earthers unwittingly demonstrated earth's motion? Why would you?

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No it's like saying you don't have necessary evidence to support your claimed model.

So because we don't know absolutely everything about how the universe works, we can't know that the earth is round? That sounds like solipsism.

Didn't think so. That's it, I'm one of those crazy foolish Christians who actually takes God at his word when He tells us the devil runs the world and lies are his native language. Be not deceived.

The devil must be pretty stupid then, if he can put all the time and effort into such a ridiculous conspiracy which has done nothing to prevent the existence of billions of Christians.

Yes, everyone accepts atmospheric refraction, but no the refractive index of air is insufficient to account for objects visible at long distances.

Citation needed.

Plus you might remember the Lake Michigan vid where the guys keep filming the Chicago skyline as they approach and recede from it. That one's been done in so many different ways. Nailed shut mate.

Usually you guys just post long videos acting like they make your arguments for you, but this time you're just referencing one. That's new at least.

Ah, you mean the doco where the makers falsely and dishonestly claimed that flat earthers unwittingly demonstrated earth's motion? Why would you?

See, this is what I mean by saying you accuse all contradictory evidence of being part of a conspiracy.

Let's focus on one thing at a time now. How long do you think the coastline of Antarctica is?

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So because we don't know absolutely everything about how the universe works, we can't know that the earth is round? That sounds like solipsism.

95%. At least. That means your paradigm's cactus.

The devil must be pretty stupid then, if he can put all the time and effort into such a ridiculous conspiracy which has done nothing to prevent the existence of billions of Christians.

It's done plenty to keep ppl from God. There are many who profess to have faith, but only deceive themselves. The pharisees were of that ilk. It's the problem of idolatry/ 1st commandment breach that bedevilled the Israelites throughout the OT.

If a given cosmology disagrees with scripture, then it's false, no matter how plausible it might appear.

Citation needed.

This ought to do it, showing the horizon line behind the object to disprove any alleged mirage effect due to refraction.

Usually you guys just post long videos acting like they make your arguments for you, but this time you're just referencing one. That's new at least.

Well if you don't know the famous Skiba Chicago Skyline vid then you haven't lived! But seriously, that's a kind of 'landmark' artefact of FE R&D, you should familiarise yourself with the evidence if you're going to have any shot at maintaining a sensible level of critique.

See, this is what I mean by saying you accuse all contradictory evidence of being part of a conspiracy.

Didn't the narrator of that doco claim that Bob Knodel had proved earth's motion by use of his ring laser gyro?

Let's focus on one thing at a time now. How long do you think the coastline of Antarctica is?

Idk, and you?

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's done plenty to keep ppl from God. There are many who profess to have faith, but only deceive themselves.

Right, so why not sail to the end of the world ?

Get some YouTube video of the wall or edge or whatever you believe there is.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right, so why not sail to the end of the world ?

Faith is enough.

And there's accounts such as this:
main-qimg-2d0e84debefa4578aea812c21006a452

Get some YouTube video of the wall or edge or whatever you believe there is.

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. (Jn 20:29)

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Faith is enough.

And there's accounts such as this:

If an eye witness account from 1773 of a long ice wall is your only evidence of flat earth I can see why you take it on faith.

Since you are living in a faith based fantasy why all the physics apologists action trying to make your objections of physical reality sound sane ?

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
95%. At least. That means your paradigm's cactus.

5% of the observable universe is still more than 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times the size of the earth. It's like saying you don't know where your own nose is because you don't know where a specific grain of sand is in China.

It's done plenty to keep ppl from God. There are many who profess to have faith, but only deceive themselves. The pharisees were of that ilk. It's the problem of idolatry/ 1st commandment breach that bedevilled the Israelites throughout the OT.

The whole flat earth conspiracy thing is a modern phenomenon. The guy who started it, Eric Dubay, in fact denies the divinity of Jesus Christ.

The early church fathers had no problem accepting the earth was round. 99.999999% of Christians have no problem accepting the earth is round.

If anything, you're driving people away from God by making them think that Christians are crazy for believing things like the earth being flat.

If a given cosmology disagrees with scripture, then it's false, no matter how plausible it might appear.

Where do you think rain comes from?

Well if you don't know the famous Skiba Chicago Skyline vid then you haven't lived! But seriously, that's a kind of 'landmark' artefact of FE R&D, you should familiarise yourself with the evidence if you're going to have any shot at maintaining a sensible level of critique

Do I really need to watch a billion badly-edited, rambling conspiracy videos (that would taint my recommendations to boot) to point out something so obvious? Tell me, how long do you think the coastline of Antarctica is?

Idk, and you?

Well if it's the edge of a flat earth, it would have to encircle the entire thing, meaning it would have to be at least 70,000 km long. Would you agree with that?

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If an eye witness account from 1773 of a long ice wall is your only evidence of flat earth I can see why you take it on faith.

Captain Cook's a pretty good witness imho. There are many others in that boat.

Unfortunately Antarctica is shrouded in secrecy these days, it's just not feasible to conduct any independent travel down there.

Since you are living in a faith based fantasy why all the physics apologists action trying to make your objections of physical reality sound sane ?

Why not just rubbish the Bible outright? Because there's no question that it consistently describes a flat, motionless and enclosed earth, just as we experience daily.

It takes a twisted delusion to believe you're living on a gyrating waterball in space without any scriptural or scientific evidence to support the claim.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
5% of the observable universe is still more than 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times the size of the earth.

Haha, according to theory. I can tell you like maths. Well, maths ain't physics.

It's like saying you don't know where your own nose is because you don't know where a specific grain of sand is in China.

Earth is at the centre of a relatively small, domed universe.

The whole flat earth conspiracy thing is a modern phenomenon. The guy who started it, Eric Dubay, in fact denies the divinity of Jesus Christ.

No, there are a number of 19th century writings on it.

The early church fathers had no problem accepting the earth was round. 99.999999% of Christians have no problem accepting the earth is round.

Yes, and they're often the ones who enthusiastically promote a 'god' who eternally barbeques ppl who reject his 'love'.

If anything, you're driving people away from God by making them think that Christians are crazy for believing things like the earth being flat.

Terrible, isn't it. The light shineth in the darkness, yet the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Where do you think rain comes from?

These days, usually manufactured clouds the product of geoengineering.

Do I really need to watch a billion badly-edited, rambling conspiracy videos (that would taint my recommendations to boot) to point out something so obvious? Tell me, how long do you think the coastline of Antarctica is?

No, but you do need to have a love of the truth and be prepared to have the holy cows of your intellectual pride demolished along the way. That was how Jesus brought me in.

Well if it's the edge of a flat earth, it would have to encircle the entire thing, meaning it would have to be at least 70,000 km long. Would you agree with that?

IDK, but that would probably be a fair assumption. Obviously much longer than in the ball model.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

People like you entertain me. You come out of nowhere and claim "that's all you got?". Every sarcastic bone in my body is screaming at me to use my hushed bedtime daddy voice and reply, "Yes baby. Don't you worry about it. Go back to sleep." Try Amazon. They might have a few clues still available to purchase.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Haha, according to theory. I can tell you like maths. Well, maths ain't physics.

You're the one who was making an argument based on percentages claimed by physicists.

Earth is at the centre of a relatively small, domed universe.

Show me the dome. Can we bounce a laser off of it to measure its distance?

No, there are a number of 19th century writings on it.

None of them using the modern internet arguments, which were pioneered by Dubay.

Yes, and they're often the ones who enthusiastically promote a 'god' who eternally barbeques ppl who reject his 'love'.

Personally I am an annihilationist as I believe scripture supports it. But this seems like a non-sequitur. The shape of the earth is not a salvation issue.

Terrible, isn't it. The light shineth in the darkness, yet the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Ever consider that you're wrong? How do you know the whole flat earth idea isn't Satan's deception to make Christians look bad?

These days, usually manufactured clouds the product of geoengineering.

According to a hyper-literal reading of scripture, it comes from bottles in the sky.

Job 38:37 said:
Who can number the clouds in wisdom? or who can stay the bottles of heaven,

How come you're not complaining about the massive worldwide conspiracy by meteorologists to claim that water comes from clouds and not bottles hanging in the sky?

Or do you think perhaps some verses could be metaphorical?

No, but you do need to have a love of the truth and be prepared to have the holy cows of your intellectual pride demolished along the way. That was how Jesus brought me in.

Because I have a love of truth is the reason I reject flat earth nonsense.

IDK, but that would probably be a fair assumption. Obviously much longer than in the ball model.

Then how come it can and has been circumnavigated by travelling a distance of less than 22,000 kilometers?

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Captain Cook's a pretty good witness imho. There are many others in that boat.

You know Captain Cook was

James Cook FRS (7 November 1728[NB 1] – 14 February 1779) was a British explorer, navigator, cartographer, and captain in the British Royal Navy. He made detailed maps of Newfoundland prior to making three voyages to the Pacific Ocean, during which he achieved the first recorded European contact with the eastern coastline of Australia and the Hawaiian Islands, and the first recorded circumnavigation of New Zealand.”

He had circumnavigated the globe and never mentioned anything about flat earth so it seems ridiculous you are taking his view of ice wall as some kind of confirmation of your faith based theories of Earth’s form.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're the one who was making an argument based on percentages claimed by physicists.

They're numbers according to deGrasse Tyson.

Show me the dome. Can we bounce a laser off of it to measure its distance?

It's called the ionosphere. We bounce radio waves off it all the time.

None of them using the modern internet arguments, which were pioneered by Dubay.

Many of Dubay's arguments were based on those earlier arguments. Indeed, the title of his book 200 Proofs is an allusion/ homage to 100 Proofs by Carpenter, 1885.
https://www.amazon.com/100-Proofs-That-Earth-Globe/dp/1523463317

Personally I am an annihilationist as I believe scripture supports it. But this seems like a non-sequitur. The shape of the earth is not a salvation issue.

It's easy to trust God when the world's teachings are aligned. But when it's scandalous, that's the true test. Where are you going to place your measure of faith? Annihilationism already rejects the express will and power of God to save all creation, so...

Ever consider that you're wrong? How do you know the whole flat earth idea isn't Satan's deception to make Christians look bad?

Because that's what the Bible says. Plus personal revelation. I was an atheist all my life, then started investigating the 'truth movement' stuff (what you might call conspiracy theory), and after I discovered geocentrism (round motionless central earth) and spent a few years researching it, the main obstacle to the Bible was removed for me. Within a month of looking into Christianity God came down and showed me amazing grace. So I feel that He led me to Him through this pursuit of truth and in doing so justified that endeavour. I accepted the flat earth later, partly because of the science, but mainly because it's undeniably Biblical. If I'm wrong, I'll answer to God.

And btw, you shouldn't worry about Christians looking bad to the world, that horse has bolted lol.

According to a hyper-literal reading of scripture, it comes from bottles in the sky.

I love it when God schools Job. And that's the point - He is omniscient.

How come you're not complaining about the massive worldwide conspiracy by meteorologists to claim that water comes from clouds and not bottles hanging in the sky?

Actually it's more of a wineskin:
Strong's Hebrew: 5035. נֵ֫בֶל (nebel) -- bottle

Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved. (Mt 9:17)

Or do you think perhaps some verses could be metaphorical?

Of course, and some verses are both literal and figurative at once. Gen 1 and 2 may be a case in point. But I don't think the HS adopts imperfect or misleading analogies.

Because I have a love of truth is the reason I reject flat earth nonsense.

Okay, up to you. Works best when you put all your predilections aside (as far as possible), and just look at it all afresh imho.

Then how come it can and has been circumnavigated by travelling a distance of less than 22,000 kilometers?

Citation please. There are many claimed 'circumnavigations' which, on closer inspection, are either clearly not so, or are unverified and suspect (eg the Ranulph Fiennes expeditions). It's also curious don't you think that there's been no polar circumnavigations by air, but many many equatorial ones?

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They're numbers according to deGrasse Tyson.

But when someone points out that those numbers don't mean what you think they mean, you can't go ahead and say the whole premise is nonsense, because you were using those numbers in the first place to make your argument.

It's called the ionosphere. We bounce radio waves off it all the time.

You think the ionosphere is a solid dome?

Many of Dubay's arguments were based on those earlier arguments. Indeed, the title of his book 200 Proofs is an allusion/ homage to 100 Proofs by Carpenter, 1885.
https://www.amazon.com/100-Proofs-That-Earth-Globe/dp/1523463317

Based on =/= identical. Modern flat earthers all get their cues from Dubay, as you have shown yourself to be familiar with him too. The fact that Dubay rejects Christ should be a major red flag for all of the Christian flat earthers who think that flat earth is somehow an inherently Christian idea.

It's easy to trust God when the world's teachings are aligned. But when it's scandalous, that's the true test. Where are you going to place your measure of faith? Annihilationism already rejects the express will and power of God to save all creation, so...

So what do you believe, some type of purgatory?

Because that's what the Bible says.

The Bible only says the earth is flat if you take certain passages super literally, and ignore others.

Plus personal revelation. I was an atheist all my life, then started investigating the 'truth movement' stuff (what you might call conspiracy theory), and after I discovered geocentrism (round motionless central earth) and spent a few years researching it, the main obstacle to the Bible was removed for me. Within a month of looking into Christianity God came down and showed me amazing grace. So I feel that He led me to Him through this pursuit of truth and in doing so justified that endeavour. I accepted the flat earth later, partly because of the science, but mainly because it's undeniably Biblical. If I'm wrong, I'll answer to God.

I've experienced God's presence as well, and He never told me anything about the earth being flat.

And btw, you shouldn't worry about Christians looking bad to the world, that horse has bolted lol.

Not really. I know people who have converted because of good examples set by Christians, and those who have deconverted because of bad examples.

I love it when God schools Job. And that's the point - He is omniscient.

But has to convey certain things in a way the people He was speaking to can understand. Hence the use of allegory, parables, and metaphor.

Actually it's more of a wineskin:
Strong's Hebrew: 5035. נֵ֫בֶל (nebel) -- bottle

Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved. (Mt 9:17)

Of course, and some verses are both literal and figurative at once. Gen 1 and 2 may be a case in point. But I don't think the HS adopts imperfect or misleading analogies.

So I take it you accept that the bottles in that verse are metaphorical?

Okay, up to you. Works best when you put all your predilections aside (as far as possible), and just look at it all afresh imho.

I did that, in fact. When I first starting hearing flat earth arguments on this website, I dismissed it instantly as being ridiculous. However, the flat earthers were incredibly persistent, so I actually started to think 'maybe there might be something to this'. So I investigated for myself. I even went to the beach and performed the experiment of looking at a ship disappear over the horizon with binoculars. It dipped over the horizon exactly the way the globe earth model says it would.

All I got from the flat earthers was long youtube videos, blurry unattributed photographs, and deflections galore. There were several 100+ page threads that started with lists of phenomenon that are directly observable but impossible on a flat earth. Throughout all of those pages, not one flat earther actually addressed any of them, just deflection.

I've actually studied physics and mathematics. I've performed astronomy, and I've seen constellations appear differently in different parts of the world. I have a friend who visited Antarctica (and brought back photographs, complete with penguins!) with no sign of an impenetrable 'ice wall'. All flat earthers have is the most implausible conspiracy ever posited.

Citation please. There are many claimed 'circumnavigations' which, on closer inspection, are either clearly not so, or are unverified and suspect (eg the Ranulph Fiennes expeditions). It's also curious don't you think that there's been no polar circumnavigations by air, but many many equatorial ones?

Saildrone is first to circumnavigate Antarctica, in search for carbon dioxide | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Sailing Antarctica: Record-breaking voyage around the southern continent

Why I'm spending three months sailing right around Antarctica for science

Amyr Klink - Wikipedia

Polar Circumnavigation (includes multiple aerial expeditions)

Of course you are going to say that all of the people involved in any of this in any way are all part of the conspiracy. You should know in advance that I can't take that kind of argument seriously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Geocentrism? Seriously do you think all the planets go around the earth ? That can be disproven by the fact that Venus has phases like the moon . Venus has to stay a certain distance from the sun and in a geocentric system you would only be able to see a thin crescent or no Venus at all because it would be in shadow like the new moon

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's the excuse of the lazy. That flat-earther did nothing of the sort. You may want to follow up on it and not rely on the editing of the documentary to do your thinking for you. The answer might surprise you.

Also Lake Pontchartrain. It just depends on what the atmospheric conditions are as of the day of observation. Notice, not only are they not curved, but the far shoreline can also be seen. Like your propaganda picture says, "If the earth is flat, the vanishing point should intersect the horizon line."

WELCOME TO THE FLAT EARTH!!!

View attachment 278013
that second picture of the lake does show the curvature btw . It also shows fog . Not impressed with your evidence

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
that second picture of the lake does show the curvature btw . It also shows fog . Not impressed with your evidence

It also shows a shoreline that should be out of view if the earth was a ball the size we are told it is, and it also contradicts the propaganda pic of those towers the ball-earthers like to frequently throw out as their proof, which was the point of that particular pic.

Don't worry, I don't expect you all to be impressed by any evidence. A lifetime of brainwashing is difficult to overcome in a short amount of time.

Upvote 0