[MOVED] Very discouraged by the Pope's visit to the U.S.

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well Paul, I see where you confusion is, let me clarify and explain my position for you my Brother.

I agree in principal that in any interaction with a non believer a Christian should show their love by being friendly, perhaps even begin a conversation with a wider more accessible issue.

But my post was in response to this post

I must admit, I am unaware of the details, can't seem to find them, but I would assume that the Pope wouldn't ordinarily just start befriending any gay person. This was clearly not about sharing Christs message of repentance, and unless we do that, where is the compassion? Frankly I don't know what it was about, except PR. Lol at PR in the church, it's just a business to some. Get as many people in as we can on the prosperity ticket; keep on sinning people, don't worry you're saved by grace through faith...God forgive me but it stinks.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34428407
Mr Grassi said he asked Pope Francis for an audience when he found out he was coming to the US and the pontiff agreed, saying he wanted to give him a hug.

During their meeting, they caught up on each other's lives and Pope Francis asked him about his business, a catering company in Washington.

"Just two friends meeting after a long time," said Mr Grassi. "We didn't talk about gay issues or anything like that."

The Vatican confirmed the meeting took place and added: "The Pope, as pastor, has maintained many personal relationships with people in a spirit of kindness, welcome and dialogue."
tulc(hopes this helps!) :)

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well Paul, I see where you confusion is, let me clarify and explain my position for you my Brother.

I agree in principal that in any interaction with a non believer a Christian should show their love by being friendly, perhaps even begin a conversation with a wider more accessible issue.

But my post was in response to this post

I must admit, I am unaware of the details, can't seem to find them, but I would assume that the Pope wouldn't ordinarily just start befriending any gay person. This was clearly not about sharing Christs message of repentance, and unless we do that, where is the compassion? Frankly I don't know what it was about, except PR. Lol at PR in the church, it's just a business to some. Get as many people in as we can on the prosperity ticket; keep on sinning people, don't worry you're saved by grace through faith...God forgive me but it stinks.
I seem to recall some people made similar claims about the people Jesus befriended. I don't remember Him agreeing with them however or suggesting that we just act like we are befriending them. Not sure I can see true love as faking a smile/friendship while brow beating someone about their bad behavior.

As to Boehner growing a conscience, not sure, but I think whatever the Pope said that may have sparked his resignation that it had to be a good thing for us and for Boehner.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I seem to recall some people made similar claims about the people Jesus befriended. I don't remember Him agreeing with them however or suggesting that we just act like we are befriending them. Not sure I can see true love as faking a smile/friendship while brow beating someone about their bad behavior.

As to Boehner growing a conscience, not sure, but I think whatever the Pope said that may have sparked his resignation that it had to be a good thing for us and for Boehner.

We can't know about the "growing a conscience". It's an interesting possibility.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We can't know about the "growing a conscience". It's an interesting possibility.
I think given he seemed moved to tears by the Pope's message, I think the timing of his subsequent announcement is more than just a possibility/coincidence. But then again, he is known for crying. Whatever the causes, I suspect the Pope played a role in it and am certainly glad we will be rid of his congressional leadership - wish more of them were moved to quit by their conscience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0