[moved] Quest to understand and comprehend the trinity...?

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have gained my biblical academics by reading the scriptures themselves. Nothing I have written in these posts is due to any commentaries or teachings from scholars or theologians.

I have however checked my understanding by reading or hearing from them. Therefore, I quote scripture, not commentaries. I've not even researched whether it was 300 years ago that any belief system was changed from one thing to another.

But you have become aware of that information, so you think that all have. Therefore your laboring arguments are doubly heavy.

However, all who come to Jesus put away their heavy burdens in order to have peace of mind and rest for their soul. For His yoke is easy and His burden is light.
Believe me, I didn't know until I ventured into internet debating websites the council of nicea, that changed the required belief to inherit eternal life was 300 years after Christ died at Calvary. It took them that long to make official church doctrine:
You must believe Christ, alongside the Father is the one true God to inherit eternal life

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
For many years I have struggled to understand the doctrine of the trinity. To say it is a mystery that we are not expected to comprehend simply doesn't cut it for me. Some time ago I discovered that in the original formulation of the trinity, the word in Greek which we traditionally have interpreted to mean "persons", as in "three persons in one God" is actually the same word used to designate the mask worn by actors in Greco-Roman theater. We cannot call this a "person" but we can certainly call it a "persona". This insight has put a totally new spin on the entire concept for me. We finite creatures cannot possibly hope to describe our transcendent God, but we can speak of the modes or roles or personae that assist our understanding. God as creator/father, God as spirit/sustainer, and the glimpse of God we obtain in the life and teaching of Jesus. In other words, trinity is not a description of God but is, rather, a description of the human experience of God in the language of fourth century Greek speaking Christianity. We are not limited to just these three. Any persona that promotes our understanding of and our relationship to God is completely acceptable. God could be mother as well as father. God could be Wisdom / Sophia / Word / Allah / Krishna / Manitou. God's possibilities are endless. These are merely our human images of God. God is, as always, ONE.

Upvote 0

Jezmeyah

member since 7-14-16
Jul 14, 2016
Indiana
✟32,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believe me, I didn't know until I ventured into internet debating websites the council of nicea, that changed the required belief to inherit eternal life was 300 years after Christ died at Calvary. It took them that long to make official church doctrine:
You must believe Christ, alongside the Father is the one true God to inherit eternal life
And yet in my youth when I was saved, I didn't understand at that age, nor even could I have understood the mystery of the Trinity doctrine.

So God saved me without any requirement to fully understand it. So likewise any adult who is of childlike faith to accept salvation through Jesus Christ.

The idea from someone that knowing it is required in order to be saved is an error. Which is why I don't state any such thing in my posts. All that is required is to hear of Jesus's substitutionary sacrifice (in my youth I at least understood of someone taking the blame so that I will not be guilty).. and to accept that sacrifice to have been done for everyone.

But that theological presentation wasn't why I'd accepted Jesus into my heart. At that young age, all that I cared about was that He loved me.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Quest to understand and comprehend the trinity...?

Let's start out with Jesus is greater than any angel, yet less than the Father...

And proceed from there in finding out who Jesus is...

It is my belief that Jesus is God, the Son... And, I'll post more on this later on, I just wanted to get this conversation started for now...

Also, that Jesus, was there with the Father and Holy Spirit, before anything was created...

Also that, and how, Jesus can be YHWH...

I'll be back with some scripture from the gospel of John, in a few days...

Comments...?

Peace,

God Bless!
shape_pic.png

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Regarding the issue of of John 1-1: In John 1-1 it says, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” This verse opens the door for all sorts of speculation and the claim, that the “Word” is meant to be Jesus. In my view, what we have here is a distortion. First, there never can be words followed by a speaker. First comes the speaker uttering words. In the end it should read, “…and the Word came from God.” (As a part of God)

It is clear that the ‘Word was with (pros G4314) God’, (John 1:1), ‘in the beginning with (pros G4314) God’, and that, ‘All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.’ (John 1:3), and that, ‘the world was made by him’ (John 1:10). What we know is the the Word (Logos) was with God in the beginning, which is a Hebrew euphemism to creation. We also know that, ‘the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us’ (John 1:14)

As far as the way John uses the 'Word' in the opening lines of his Gospel account:

Word (λόγος logos) "the expression of thought," not the mere name of an object, as embodying a conception or idea, e.g., Luke 7:7; 1Cor. 14:9, 19. In John, denotes the essential Word of God, Jesus Christ, the personal wisdom and power in union with God, his minister in creation and government of the universe, the cause of all the world's life both physical and ethical, which for the procurement of man's salvation put on human nature in the person of Jesus the Messiah, the second person in the Godhead, and shone forth conspicuously from His words and deeds.​

"The Personal Word," a title of the Son of God; this identification is substantiated by the statements of doctrine in John 1:1-18, declaring in verses John 1:1, 2
  1. His distinct and superfinite Personality,
  2. His relation in the Godhead (pros, "with," not mere company, but the most intimate communion),
  3. His deity; in Jhn 1:3 His creative power; in Jhn 1:14 His Incarnation ("became flesh," expressing His voluntary act; not as AV, "was made"), the reality and totality of His human nature, and His glory "as of the only begotten from the Father," RV (marg., "an only begotten from a father"), the absence of the article in each place lending stress to the nature and character of the relationship; His was the Shekinah glory in open manifestation; Jhn 1:18 consummates the identification: "the only-begotten Son (RV marg., many ancient authorities read "God only begotten,"), which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him," thus fulfilling the significance of the title "Logos," the "Word," the personal manifestation, not of a part of the Divine nature, but of the whole Deity (Vine's Expository Dictionary see IMAGE).
The writer of Hebrews, like the Nicene fathers, indicates the revelation of God is embodied in the person and work of Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God:

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds (Hebrews 1:1,2)
Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And yet in my youth when I was saved, I didn't understand at that age, nor even could I have understood the mystery of the Trinity doctrine.

So God saved me without any requirement to fully understand it. So likewise any adult who is of childlike faith to accept salvation through Jesus Christ.

The idea from someone that knowing it is required in order to be saved is an error. Which is why I don't state any such thing in my posts. All that is required is to hear of Jesus's substitutionary sacrifice (in my youth I at least understood of someone taking the blame so that I will not be guilty).. and to accept that sacrifice to have been done for everyone.

But that theological presentation wasn't why I'd accepted Jesus into my heart. At that young age, all that I cared about was that He loved me.
Did you know, that all the mainline trinitarian denominations are signed up to the doctrine:
You must believe Christ, alongside the Father and Holy Spirit is the one true God in order to be saved

Upvote 0

Jezmeyah

member since 7-14-16
Jul 14, 2016
Indiana
✟32,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you know, that all the mainline trinitarian denominations are signed up to the doctrine:
You must believe Christ, alongside the Father and Holy Spirit is the one true God in order to be saved
Has my communication been that vague that you should repeat yourself?

I have given testimony that at my conversion, I only believed in Jesus. Therefore you are not talking to one who has signed up to the supposed doctrine that is somewhere "You must believe Christ, alongside the Father and Holy Spirit is the one true God in order to be saved."

My understanding of the Godhead-Trinity doctrine has been embraced by me.. many years after I'd gotten saved, because it is the only theology that fits with the scriptures.

I think that we have exhausted the reason that this discussion between you and I should continue.

• Agree
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I have given testimony that at my conversion, I only believed in Jesus. Therefore you are not talking to one who has signed up to the supposed doctrine that is somewhere "You must believe Christ, alongside the Father and Holy Spirit is the one true God in order to be saved."

My understanding of the Godhead-Trinity doctrine has been embraced by me.. many years after I'd gotten saved, because it is the only theology that fits with the scriptures.

I think that we have exhausted the reason that this discussion between you and I should continue.
You haven't been vague at all.
I was just telling you the belief all the mainline trinitarian churches are signed up to

Upvote 0

Jezmeyah

member since 7-14-16
Jul 14, 2016
Indiana
✟32,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You haven't been vague at all.
I was just telling you the belief all the mainline trinitarian churches are signed up to
Again, you are not accurate.

In all of the times that I've heard salvation invitations, both inside my denomination, and while visiting other denominations.. and incidentally, over the years I've heard very very many salvation invitations.

In those times I've not ever heard that anyone interested in receiving salvation must believe in the Trinity doctrine in order to be saved.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

In all of the times that I've heard salvation invitations, both inside my denomination, and while visiting other denominations.. and incidentally, over the years I've heard very very many salvation invitations.

In those times I've not ever heard that anyone interested in receiving salvation must believe in the Trinity doctrine in order to be saved.
Have you not read my previous posts????
All the mainline trinitarian churches OFFICIAL doctrine is:

You must believe Jesus is the one true God, along side the Father and the Holy Spirit to be saved.
THAT IS ACCURATE. And if you don't believe me look into it before telling me I'm making inaccurate statements.
However, though that is their official doctrine, very few trinitarian ministers will actually state that official doctrine from the pulpit.
And yet, we all know ministers are obligated to plainly preach what is and what is not acceptable belief to be saved according to their denominational official doctrine
I hope you understand now

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I really do appreciate you stating THE above. Because you have endorsed what I have continually stated in debates such as these.
Hardly any trinitarian ministers will state from the pulpit the OFFICIAL doctrine of their church, in regard to who you must believe Christ to be in order to be saved.
So thank you

It is mainly left to a few on the internet to preach that official doctrine

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I can understand your confusion here. At the tender age of fifty, after going to various trinitarian denominational churches for over forty years, I ventured into debating websites such as this. I was shocked to then be told official doctrine of all mainline trinitarian churches was:
You must believe Christ is the one true God, alongside The Father and the Holy Spirit in order to be saved. For like you, I had never heard that preached from the pulpit.
And many people on the Internet told me I could not be saved as I solely refer to Christ as the Son of God. For they follow the official doctrine all the mainline trinitarian churches are signed up to

Upvote 0

Theo Book

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Central Florida
✟59,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Quest to understand and comprehend the trinity...?

Let's start out with Jesus is greater than any angel, yet less than the Father...

And proceed from there in finding out who Jesus is...

It is my belief that Jesus is God, the Son... And, I'll post more on this later on, I just wanted to get this conversation started for now...

Also, that Jesus, was there with the Father and Holy Spirit, before anything was created...

Also that, and how, Jesus can be YHWH...

I'll be back with some scripture from the gospel of John, in a few days...

Comments...?

Peace,

God Bless!

Is this discussion open to non-trinitarian
CHRISTIANS? Or is it only to close-minded Trinitarians?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I just wanted to comment, that's pretty clear. My personal feeling here is you never had a problem with the Trinity you weren't really considering the implications. There is nothing in Scripture telling us that we have to just accept traditional Christian theism, in fact:

Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh. (Jude 1:22,23)
Jude is one of the strongest calls for us to 'fight for the faith', that doesn't mean beat up on the doubters. It's also difficult for someone like me who has studied this a lot, not to dump the truck. Today I accept the doctrine of the Trinity but there was a time it made no sense to me. It can take a while, I think the Biblical attitude should be patience with those who are still struggling while we confront false teaching in the strongest possible terms. Otherwise, whats the purpose of Apologetics anyway?

Grace and peace,
Mark

Reactions: Jezmeyah
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jezmeyah

member since 7-14-16
Jul 14, 2016
Indiana
✟32,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really do appreciate you stating THE above. Because you have endorsed what I have continually stated in debates such as these.
Hardly any trinitarian ministers will state from the pulpit the OFFICIAL doctrine of their church, in regard to who you must believe Christ to be in order to be saved.
IF it were truly necessary to be surely saved by hearing of the Trinity, then the doctrine of Trinity would be required to be heard by candidates for salvation.

Therefore you belie your own previous statement.
So thank you.
Thank me for nothing.
According to #130 and two previous posts of yours, you'd already stated as much, so it's not like anything I've said has 'endorsed' what you've said.

It's very apparent that you don't need any 'coaching' on what to say from me. So, again you are not accurate.
It is mainly left to a few on the internet to preach that official doctrine
First you insist that all churches require it, then you state that it only comes from the internet. Your waffling statements only indicate against your inaccuracy.

The Trinity doctrine has been taught in all churches since the time that it was adopted into canon in order to stand against the erroneous heresies against the scriptures concerning the Godhead.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I notice over the course of this thread that we seem to be inundated with fallacy:

Anyone who claims to fully understand Trinity shows how little they know of the subject .
I can assure you, in nine years of much discussing concerning g this subject I found not one person, including seasoned ministers who could answer every question/ bible verse placed before them on the subject.

I'm going to once again repeat to you. Trinitarians ministers, one who had been a minister for fifty years could not answer every scripture placed before them concerning trinity, neither can i, you or anyone else on these websites.

I rather doubt you'll be able to comprehend the Trinity no matter how much you study or discuss it. It doesn't fit with our "logical" brains how there can be three co-equal Beings that have separate functions but are really the same.

But comprehending the Holy Trinity is a task that is, at present, beyond the capacity of humanity.

It's a wonderful mystery beyond our comprehension.

No one can understand the Trinity.

The above quotes demonstrate a deductive fallacy. It's the same trap that agnostics fall into, believing that not only do I not know the answer, but no one else can possibly know, either. Not only is the claim fallacious, but it's false. I might believe that an arena of theologians might not know the answer, but that does not mean that an answer does not exist.

The logic of numbers is a riddle best left to mathematicians and not theologians! Answer me, in what situation are the following statements true (for all n greater than zero but less than infinity):

3x = 1x
x + n = x
n/x = 0
(x + n)/x = 1

The above can only be true if x equals infinity. If God is infinite in nature, then the following is true:

3x = 1x: Three of God means exactly the same as one of God. One person is not merely a subset of the whole. The Holy Spirit plus the Son do not, together, make less than 100% of God, even though all three also make 100%, and only one of them also makes 100%.

x + n = x: Infinity, plus or minus anything short of infinity still equals infinity. If Jesus made himself less than the Father, then Jesus and the father are still equal.

n/x = 0: Any finite number divided by infinity equals nothing. Any sinner, whether a great sinner or a near-saint falls equally short of the glory of God.

(x + n)/x = 1: Any finite number added to infinity can be divided by infinity and equal one. A fallen man, by himself, will always fall short of the glory of God, but that same man united with Christ has 100% wholly attained the glory of God. His own contribution adds nothing, but Christ is everything.

Don't tell me my ideas are not biblical, till you can show me from scripture why not please...

No offence intended, but this fallacious argument puts the onus on the negative assertion. I can always make a statement that you cannot disprove. That doesn't make me right. I can always make an assertion that you can not find scripture to refute, but that does not make it theologically sound. The burden of proof must always be on the positive assertion.

This is how I understand the Godhead. God the Father out of himself brought forth Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

God is necessarily self-existent. In this world, everything has a cause. Hence, if we trace backward the chain of cause and effect we must necessarily end up with an effect without a cause. We can say that God is the Creator and was not created, because he is self-existent, meaning that he has no cause. Therefore, we must also accept that he has no beginning. The moment we begin to ascribe a beginning or a cause to God, he becomes less than infinite and something not self-existent. That is, he ceases to be God. The above statement, perhaps unwittingly, denies the deity of Christ and the Holy Spirit.

Folks,
The doctrine of the Trinity was born during the Council of Nicaea, hundreds of years after the passing of Jesus Christ. Whatever was decided during the Council of Nicaea was man-made and not inspired by God.

That's an unsubstantiated claim. The assumption appears to be that nothing can be inspired by God after some undetermined time after the life of Christ on Earth. The statement makes no effort to explain what defines the time frame, why it is the time frame, why anything outside of the time frame cannot be inspired, nor why anything inside the time frame could be inspired. In fact, the above claim, itself, appears to rely upon its own authority, which by its own reasoning insists that the claim, itself, is also not inspired and must therefore be rejected.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IF it were truly necessary to be surely saved by hearing of the Trinity, then the doctrine of Trinity would be required to be heard by candidates for salvation.

Therefore you belie your own previous statement.
Thank me for nothing.
According to #130 and two previous posts of yours, you'd already stated as much, so it's not like anything I've said has 'endorsed' what you've said.

It's very apparent that you don't need any 'coaching' on what to say from me. So, again you are not accurate.
First you insist that all churches require it, then you state that it only comes from the internet. Your waffling statements only indicate against your inaccuracy.

The Trinity doctrine has been taught in all churches since the time that it was adopted into canon in order to stand against the erroneous heresies against the scriptures concerning the Godhead.
I see you are in denial, and now contradiction. I understand, the truth is too painful to face

Upvote 0