AfanofJesus

Jan 22, 2012
✟15,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think that Mormons are Christians? If so why and if not why

I have been struggling a bit with that question myself since I have a friend that is a Mormon. I don't have the time right now to address this completely now but briefly:
The conclusion I came to is that my definition of a Christian is someone who believes in Jesus Christ as our lord and savior - son of God - and tries to follow his teachings. Since Mormons do believe this about Jesus and actually pay him and his teachings a great deal of attention - I would say they are Christians. However there are a few controversies when it comes to being Mormon and following Jesus' teachings.

For example one thing i reacted to:

"For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him. (2 Corinthians 11:4 KJV)"

Here Paul tells the Corinthians that if someone comes with another gospel [that is better] they should embrace it. But such a gospel does not exists - and that's why the meaning conveyed is that we shouldn't stick to another gospel, another Jesus etc. etc. (2 Corinthians 11:4 Commentary - John Gill's Exposition of the Bible)

What is chocking here is that the under title of the book of Mormons actually is: "Another Gospel of Jesus Christ", which they believe it. This exactly what Paul tells us not to do - "we should not believe in another gospel of Jesus Christ" which just so happens to be the very title of the Mormon add-on.

However - there are loads of things Jesus teaches us to do - that we don't. Huge things even. Who of us can say that they truly love their enemy? Among us Christians (the traditional denominations) there is a huge variation in teaching. An orthodox Christian and
Catholic Christian has loads of things they disagree on for example. But still they are both Christians. Many things in the variation of Christian faith comes down to interpretation of the bible - which I belief none of us has the ability to so perfectly. So I don't want to be the Pharisee judging Mormons. I would accept them as Christians - however I think that they might be a bit astray from some of what the Bible teaches. Let alone that there are many controversies as well about the whole historical foundation of Mormonism.

Okay, that was longer than expected - some thoughts at least - but don't take this for truth. View it critically, but if it was to any help I'm happy I could contribute :)

Reactions: Nedloh_Deraj
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say that they are. I have several Mormon friends as well and they are some of the most upstanding people I have ever known. Some of their beliefs do contradict the Bible and well I believe they are being misled in that sense, they do have an unquestionable faith in and love for God and have accepted Christ as their Savior which to me makes them Christians.

Upvote 0

ghag17

Mar 10, 2014
✟7,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
mormons will claim that they are christians, but if you look at their beliefs, they really aren't. there are key doctrines in christianity that are true no matter what denomination you are a part of. a few of those being 1. Jesus Christ is God 2.that He took our punishment for us so we could be with God in heaven 3. there is only one God, though there is a debate as to whether that God is trinitarian or not. i am of the belief that He is. 4. that God is absolute and eternal.

mormonism teaches that if we obey the rules well enough, we would not only have the opportunity to go to heaven, but to also become "gods" over our own planet/universe. it teaches that this was how our God "became" the God He is now, and that He was once a created being much like us. if this was true, that would make Him originally an imperfect being, which He has never been. it would also mean that Jesus Christ, no longer a completely perfect being, could never have taken our punishment for us. they also believe that our trinity is actually three separate beings. this, combined with one of my previous statements, would mean that there are multiple different "gods." they also believe that we have to work for salvation. all of these things are contrary to essential christian doctrines.

in conclusion, they aren't christians. don't get me wrong, they are very kind and generous people, but that doesn't make them christians. about half of my relatives are mormons, so i do know them very well. sometimes you may encounter a mormon who doesn't know that their faith teaches these things, but most of them probably will admit that their faith believes these things.

• Agree
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, they aren't Christians.

When they talk, they sound like they are, because they use a lot of Christian terms. The big problem is with their view of God, though. The Bible reveals that God the Father, Jesus (the Son), and the Holy Spirit are all one God, in three separate persons. Mormons don't believe that. They believe that there is one God, and a whole bunch of other, maybe less powerful, gods. So God is the main God, and Jesus is another one. I've heard Mormons speculate that Jesus might be the son of God and some female goddess? They also believe that people who live good lives (especially men) can go to Heaven and become gods.

So they often sound like Christians when they talk about God and Jesus, but they mean something different. Many of them also live good Christian lives, but they aren't doing it out of love for Jesus. They're doing it because they think that saves them.

God bless you,
Grace

• Agree
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No, Mormons are not Christians. They have perhaps the most ridiculous beliefs I have ever heard.

For a detailed explanation, I suggest that you read the article http://www.gotquestions.org/Mormons-Christians.html, which is very good about this matter, and of which I will now quote a few more notable excerpts (no more than 20%, in accordance with CF's guidelines, and with the permission of the website in question):

‘One of the many areas in which Mormons fall short of saving faith is their belief that God is merely an exalted man who earned his position by good works. [...] This directly contradicts the Bible, which states that God has existed in his position as God of the universe from eternity past (Revelation 1:8; 1 Timothy 1:17; 1 Timothy 6:15-16; Psalms 102:24-27). God was never a man (Numbers 23:19; 1 Samuel 15:29; Hosea 11:9) and is the holy and powerful Creator of all things (Genesis 1; Psalms 24:1; Isaiah 37:16). Mormons also believe that they themselves can attain the status of gods in the afterlife through their works here on earth. [...] However, no man can ever become like God (1 Samuel 2:2; Isaiah 43:10-11; Isaiah 44:6; Isaiah 45:21-22) [...]

‘Mormons also believe that Jesus was a god, but not God Himself [...] It is essential to Christian faith that Jesus is one with God and that He is God’s only begotten Son who became flesh (John 1:1; John 1:14; John 3:16).’

Can you really imagine that God would have been a man? That we will be like him? That the reason why he rules over us and not we over him is just a matter of luck (he was born first)? If these guys believe they can earn their way to Heaven and eternal glory by doing good things, then what does Jesus' sacrifice really mean to them? What did Jesus free them from?

Clarinetlover, do not buy into everything people tell you. Follow the advice of 1 Thessalonians 5:20-22, which says: ‘Do not treat prophecies with contempt but test them all; hold on to what is good, reject every kind of evil.’ Compare everything with the Bible to see if what is being said is truthful or not.

About who is a true Christian, remember what Jesus said, in Matthew 7:21-23, about these people: ‘Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father, who is in Heaven. Many will say to me on that day, “Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?” Then I will tell them plainly, “I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!”’

Upvote 0

Vayacondios

Nov 15, 2015
✟15,181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
NO. Mormons are NOT Christians.
My entire family on my moms side and I think all my siblings as well are Mormon. My parents and I are Christian.
There is too much to explain and some of which is hars to explain, but Mormons are not Christians....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isaiah55:6

Nov 20, 2015
✟8,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith is useless if it's put in something that is false. Even though in Mormonism they use the same words, they have radically different definitions. In Mormonism, God is an exalted man from another planet who became a god by following the laws and ordinances of his god. He has a body of flesh and bones, He brought his goddess wife along with him and and they produced spirit babies in heaven who inhabit human bodies here on earth. That is not the God of scripture. The God of Mormonism is a false God. So no Mormons are not christian.

Upvote 0

Ecclesiastian

Mar 7, 2019
Tifton
✟23,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
They believe they are, and they try to act as such. I respect their commitment to Christian hospitality and, in their view, to Christ. However, make no mistake about it; Mormons are not Christians (in the proper sense). For starters, they aren't monotheistic (that is, they reject the idea of a single God). They believe in a sort of endless amount of gods, each ruling over their own planet, and even that they through obedience to Elohim, or Heavenly Father (the terms they usually use to refer to God the Father), can themselves ascend to godhood and receive their own world to rule over. This is in direct contradiction to well, the whole Bible really, but just to pull a very plain verse on the matter, Isaiah 45:5-6.

I am the Lord, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me, 6 that people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the Lord, and there is no other.

This pretty much disqualifies them from the label "Christian" by itself.

In addition, they believe that there is marriage in their idea of Heaven. This is contrary to Matthew 22:30 which says For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

And another big problem is that they reject the Trinity. They view the members of the Godhead more as a council of three distinct gods. This is of course contrary to the verse where Jesus says "I and the Father are one." and many others.

And I could list many more such problems. Overall, Mormons are a commendable people and I think we should even strive to replicate their desire for love and worship. But are they Christians? No. Not the institution, at least.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

Edit, I am going to re-open the thread. The OP is over 6 years old, the most recent previous post was 4 years old. According to Christian Forums, Mormons are not Christians as they do not believe in the Trinity or Nicene Creed, which is the Christian Forums Statement of Faith.
Please keep these rules in mind.

Also, this is a age specific forums, it is limited to Teenage youth.

MOD HAT OFF

• Agree
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can someone please answer

They are not Christians because they believe that they are God in the growth. They say we were all born of a mother and papa gods in heaven as spirit babies. Those gods were once on a planet and became a god.
They also believe that all other christian churches are of the devil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Aside from not accepting the Nicene creed, would you not agree that the morals and ethics they espouse are equally as worthy as the best of christianity, or islam or hindusim. That is they aspire to be good and ethical people, to do no harm, to love, care for their children, be of good character, etc etc

Upvote 0