Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Explain that in all things Jesus Christ set the example for us to follow. We have been commanded to follow him. When we are obedient to that commandment, we will feel great joy in our lives.
Young Women Manual 1, (2002), 9–12, Lesson 3: Following the Example of Jesus Christ
Young Women Manual 1 Lesson 3: Following the Example of Jesus Christ

If a man gets a fullness of the Priesthood of God he has to get it the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord.
Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 308

Eternal Life is called exaltation:

The time to fulfill the requirements for exaltation is now (see Alma 34:32–34). President Joseph Fielding Smith said, “In order to obtain the exaltation we must accept the gospel and all its covenants; and take upon us the obligations which the Lord has offered; and walk in the light and the understanding of the truth; and ‘live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God’” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:43).

To be exalted, we first must place our faith in Jesus Christ and then endure in that faith to the end of our lives. Our faith in Him must be such that we repent of our sins and obey His commandments.

1. He commands us all to receive certain ordinances
  • We must be baptized.
    1. We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
      1. Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.
        1. We must receive the temple endowment.
          1. We must be married for eternity.
            etc.
Gospel Principles Chapter 47: Exaltation

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Explain that in all things Jesus Christ set the example for us to follow. We have been commanded to follow him. When we are obedient to that commandment, we will feel great joy in our lives.
Young Women Manual 1, (2002), 9–12, Lesson 3: Following the Example of Jesus Christ

If a man gets a fullness of the Priesthood of God he has to get it the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord.

The time to fulfill the requirements for exaltation is now (see Alma 34:32–34). President Joseph Fielding Smith said, “In order to obtain the exaltation we must accept the gospel and all its covenants; and take upon us the obligations which the Lord has offered; and walk in the light and the understanding of the truth; and ‘live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God’” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:43).

To be exalted, we first must place our faith in Jesus Christ and then endure in that faith to the end of our lives. Our faith in Him must be such that we repent of our sins and obey His commandments.

• He commands us all to receive certain ordinances
  • We must be baptized.
    1. We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
      1. Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.
            etc.
Do you enjoy being married or is this something you could either take or leave?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Do you enjoy being married or is this something you could either take or leave?

I enjoy serving Christ! I loved my husband and I love all of my family. I belong to the family of God. There is no marriage in heaven except that of the church to Christ.

1 Corinthians 7:34
...The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

John 3
25Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying.26And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him. 27John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. 28Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him. 29He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. 30He must increase, but I must decrease.

31He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.

:bow: He that cometh from heaven is above all!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
According to Mormonism, these were required of Jesus:
  • We must be baptized.
            etc.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I enjoy serving Christ! I loved my husband and I love all of my family. I belong to the family of God. There is no marriage in heaven except that of the church to Christ.

1 Corinthians 7:34
...The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

John 3
25Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying.26And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him. 27John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. 28Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him. 29He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. 30He must increase, but I must decrease.

31He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.

:bow: He that cometh from heaven is above all!
Do you think that your relationship with your husband will be the same or different

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
According to Mormonism, these were required of Jesus:
  • We must be baptized.
            etc.

Every one of those activities on your list is Christ-centered and are good works that help us lay hold of eternal life as Paul says in 1 Timothy 6:17-19. These are perfect ways to lay hold of eternal life. Thank you for your contribution.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

• He commands us all to receive certain ordinances
  • We must be baptized.
            etc.
Thank you again for your great post.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every one of those activities on your list is Christ-centered and are good works that help us lay hold of eternal life as Paul says in 1 Timothy 6:17-19. These are perfect ways to lay hold of eternal life. Thank you for your contribution.
Only NONE of those "activities" is listed in your 1 Timothy 6:17-19 reference. So, once again, you are stretching things to fit your theology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

In all honesty you need to admit that Mormonism requires Jesus to have obeyed all the laws and ordinances of the gospel to get the fullness of the priesthood and eternal life. To remain in the "Celestial Kingdom" every law has to be voluntarily obeyed.

What is the Law of the Celestial Kingdom?
By Larry Barkdull · September 27, 2014
To consecrate something is to sanctify, purify and set it apart for a sacred use, to make it holy, to dedicate it solemnly to a special service, or to give it religious sanction as with an oath or a vow. When we make the covenant of consecration, we agree to consecrate our lives, including everything that we have, will have, are or will be. According to President Kimball, we consecrate “our time, talents and means to care for those in need-whether spiritually or temporally-and in building the Lord’s kingdom.” [ii]...

The Law of Consecration is a subject as glorious as its Founder. It is the law of the Celestial Kingdom revealed to us in this telestial setting for our salvation and exaltation. By this law the Kingdom of God prepares the way for the establishment of Zion as a holy community and Zion as individual people. We must learn all we can about this law then live it, otherwise we cannot expect to obtain an inheritance in the Celestial Kingdom.

The foundational principles and cornerstones of Consecration are equality, unity, mutual assistance, proper use of the priesthood, faith, reciprocal love (charity), agency, stewardship, accountability and labor. This is the law by which hearts are purified, and by which we are ushered into the presence of God. Only upon the Law of consecration can we become one in our marriages, families, wards, stakes, the Church, and one with the Father and the Son.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
In all honesty you need to admit that Mormonism requires Jesus to have obeyed all the laws and ordinances of the gospel to get the fullness of the priesthood and eternal life. To remain in the "Celestial Kingdom" every law has to be voluntarily obeyed.

By Larry Barkdull · September 27, 2014
To consecrate something is to sanctify, purify and set it apart for a sacred use, to make it holy, to dedicate it solemnly to a special service, or to give it religious sanction as with an oath or a vow. When we make the covenant of consecration, we agree to consecrate our lives, including everything that we have, will have, are or will be. According to President Kimball, we consecrate “our time, talents and means to care for those in need-whether spiritually or temporally-and in building the Lord’s kingdom.” [ii]...

The Law of Consecration is a subject as glorious as its Founder. It is the law of the Celestial Kingdom revealed to us in this telestial setting for our salvation and exaltation. By this law the Kingdom of God prepares the way for the establishment of Zion as a holy community and Zion as individual people. We must learn all we can about this law then live it, otherwise we cannot expect to obtain an inheritance in the Celestial Kingdom.

The foundational principles and cornerstones of Consecration are equality, unity, mutual assistance, proper use of the priesthood, faith, reciprocal love (charity), agency, stewardship, accountability and labor. This is the law by which hearts are purified, and by which we are ushered into the presence of God. Only upon the Law of consecration can we become one in our marriages, families, wards, stakes, the Church, and one with the Father and the Son.
You are correct, even Jesus had to obey his gospel, be baptized, recieve the HS, recieve the priesthood, complete his mission, be crucified, be resurrected.
At his baptism, he told John that they together were going to fulfill all righteousness. The baptism was just the beginning of that fulfillment that was fully complete as the broke the bands of death and returned to his God and Father (John 20:17).

His mission is a little different than the normal mortal, however, he had to do the same things we do in order to be saved. We have to believe, be baptized, receive the HS, recieve the priesthood (men), complete our mission, be resurrected in order to be saved.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Only NONE of those "activities" is listed in your 1 Timothy 6:17-19 reference. So, once again, you are stretching things to fit your theology.
Your right. That is because 1 Timothy doesn't list all the possible activities that can be called 'good works', it just lets us know that 'good works' are essential for our salvation, not matter how they are maifested.

Do you disagree with Paul's words about 'good works'?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your right. That is because 1 Timothy doesn't list all the possible activities that can be called 'good works', it just lets us know that 'good works' are essential for our salvation, not matter how they are maifested.

Do you disagree with Paul's words about 'good works'?
I disagree with your interpretation of what "good works" are. In post 8 you refer to the activities in post 4 "are good works that help us lay hold of eternal life". While baptism is the only activity on that list that I would say is a "good work", it is not salvational. The rest of them are not good works in the eyes of Jesus, according to scripture. Those are just the lds man made requirements.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You are correct, even Jesus had to obey his gospel, be baptized, recieve the HS, recieve the priesthood, complete his mission, be crucified, be resurrected.
At his baptism, he told John that they together were going to fulfill all righteousness. The baptism was just the beginning of that fulfillment that was fully complete as the broke the bands of death and returned to his God and Father (John 20:17).

His mission is a little different than the normal mortal, however, he had to do the same things we do in order to be saved. We have to believe, be baptized, receive the HS, recieve the priesthood (men), complete our mission, be resurrected in order to be saved.

You are fully aware that that is an incomplete answer!

Salvation is eternal life not resurrection to everlasting punishment.

Matthew 25
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

1 Corinthians 6
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

According to Mormonism, Catholics, Easter Orthodox, Protestants and anyone else who rejects Joseph Smith will not spend eternity with God.

These are the requirements:

1. He commands us all to receive certain ordinances:
  2. 1.
    We must be baptized.

3. 2.
    We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

4. 3.
    Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.

5. 4.
    We must receive the temple endowment.

6. 5.
    We must be married for eternity, either in this life or in the next.
    In addition to receiving the required ordinances, the Lord commands all of us to:
  1. Love God and our neighbors.

2. 2.
    Keep the commandments.

3. 3.
    Repent of our wrongdoings.

4. 4.
    Search out our kindred dead and receive the saving ordinances of the gospel for them.

5. 5.
    Attend our Church meetings as regularly as possible so we can renew our baptismal covenants by partaking of the sacrament.

6. 6.
    Love our family members and strengthen them in the ways of the Lord.

7. 7.
    Have family and individual prayers every day.
  1. 8.
    Teach the gospel to others by word and example.

2. 9.
    Study the scriptures.

3. 10.
    Listen to and obey the inspired words of the prophets of the Lord.
  4. Gospel Principles Chapter 47: Exaltation

5. Even that list is incomplete!
“Those members of the Church who devote themselves wholly to righteousness, living by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God, make their calling and election sure. That is, they receive the more sure word of prophecy, which means that the Lord seals their exaltation[eternal life] upon them while they are yet in this life” (Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 109).
Doctrines of the Gospel Student Manual, Chapter 19
Doctrines of the Gospel Student Manual

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Priesthood: It was handed down to only the Levites. From father to son, if no son, closest male relative in that branch. There is not one word mentioned about obeying all the ordinances and commandments in order to qualify. Keeping the ordinances and commandments was expected of everyone. The High Priest offered sacrifice for his own sins as well as those of the congregation. He had to be married.

The high priest must be married; to guard against contingencies it was proposed to hold a second wife in readiness immediately before the Day of Atonement (Yoma i. 1); but polygamy on his part was not encouraged (
V06p391001.jpg
= "one wife"; Yoma 13a; "Yad," l.c. v. 10). He could give the "ḥaliẓah," and it could be given to his widow, as she also was subject to the Levirate; his divorced wife could marry again (l.c.; Sanh. 18).
After the Exile, the succession seems to have been, at first, in a direct line from father to son; but later the civil authorities arrogated to themselves the right of appointment. Antiochus IV., Epiphanes, for instance, deposed Onias III. in favor of Jason, who was followed by Menelaus (Josephus, "Ant." xii. 5, § 1; II Macc. iii. 4, iv. 23).

Herod nominated no less than six high priests; Archelaus, two. The Roman legate Quirinius and his successors exercised the right of appointment, as did Agrippa I., Herod of Chalcis, and Agrippa II. Even the people occasionally elected candidates to the office. The high priests before the Exile were, it seems, appointed for life (comp. Num. xxxv. 25, 28); in fact, from Aaron to the Captivity the number of the high priests was not greater than during the sixty years preceding the fall of the Second Temple.

HIGH PRIEST - JewishEncyclopedia.com

How did Jesus qualify to be a High Priest under Jewish law? And He was not appointed by Roman law.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Those who never have eternal life, per Mormonism, are separated from Heavenly Father for eternity. That isn't glorious, friends, it's a horrible punishment.
Those who are in the Celestial, will have the Father, the Son, and the HS to dwell with eternally. Those who are in the Terestrial, will have the visitation of the Son and the HS eternally. Those that have the Telestial will have the visitation of the HS eternally. Those who are in outer darkness will not have the Father or the Son or the HS for eternity.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Those who are in the Celestial, will have the Father, the Son, and the HS to dwell with eternally. Those who are in the Terestrial, will have the visitation of the Son and the HS eternally. Those that have the Telestial will have the visitation of the HS eternally. Those who are in outer darkness will not have the Father or the Son or the HS for eternity.

The only Mormons who are in God's Presence, per Mormonism, have eternal life(Mormons call it exaltation). Anyone who isn't exalted becomes an angel because he/she didn't obey the commandments of God. Those in the lower parts of the Celestial Kingdom are not exalted; don't have the kind of life God has because they didn't obey all the commandments.

CIVIL MARRIAGE MAKES SERVANTS IN ETERNITY.
The Lord says in regard to marriage: "For whatsoever things remain are by me: and whatsoever things are not by me shall be shaken and destroyed. Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world."

That is, they are not bound by any law of the gospel. It has no claim upon them: when they are dead their contract, and obligations, and bonds come to an end; they have no claim upon each other, and no claim upon their children. Their children are left without parents, only as they themselves through their own faithfulness may be adopted into some other man's family.

"Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven; which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

"For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are angels of God forever and ever." 1

The implication here is this, that they who are clean in their lives; who are virtuous; who are honorable; but who will not receive this covenant of eternal marriage in the house of God, shall come forth-and they may even enter into the celestial kingdom, but when they enter there they enter as servants-to wait upon those "who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory."
1. Doctrine and Covenants 132:16-17
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, p. 61-62

MARRIAGE AND BECOMING SONS OF GOD.
The gift promised to those who receive this covenant of marriage and remain faithful to the end, that they shall "have no end," means that they shall have the power of eternal increase. Only those who have this power will truly "know the only wise and true God, and Jesus Christ, whom he hath sent." Others may see the Lord and may be instructed by him, but they will not truly know him or his Father unless they become like them.
Who desires to enter the eternal world and be a servant, when the promise is held out that we may be sons and daughters of God? Yet there will be the vast majority who will enter into the eternal world as servants, and not as sons, and this simply because they think more of the world and its covenants, than they do of God and his covenants; simply because in their blindness of heart, they refuse to keep these sacred and holy commandments. Oh, what bitterness there will be in the day of judgment, when every man receives his reward according to his works!
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, p. 64-65

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The only Mormons who are in God's Presence, per Mormonism, have eternal life(Mormons call it exaltation). Anyone who isn't exalted becomes an angel because he/she didn't obey the commandments of God. Those in the lower parts of the Celestial Kingdom are not exalted; don't have the kind of life God has because they didn't obey all the commandments.

CIVIL MARRIAGE MAKES SERVANTS IN ETERNITY.
The Lord says in regard to marriage: "For whatsoever things remain are by me: and whatsoever things are not by me shall be shaken and destroyed. Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world."

That is, they are not bound by any law of the gospel. It has no claim upon them: when they are dead their contract, and obligations, and bonds come to an end; they have no claim upon each other, and no claim upon their children. Their children are left without parents, only as they themselves through their own faithfulness may be adopted into some other man's family.

"Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven; which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

"For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are angels of God forever and ever." 1

The implication here is this, that they who are clean in their lives; who are virtuous; who are honorable; but who will not receive this covenant of eternal marriage in the house of God, shall come forth-and they may even enter into the celestial kingdom, but when they enter there they enter as servants-to wait upon those "who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory."
1. Doctrine and Covenants 132:16-17
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, p. 61-62

MARRIAGE AND BECOMING SONS OF GOD.
The gift promised to those who receive this covenant of marriage and remain faithful to the end, that they shall "have no end," means that they shall have the power of eternal increase. Only those who have this power will truly "know the only wise and true God, and Jesus Christ, whom he hath sent." Others may see the Lord and may be instructed by him, but they will not truly know him or his Father unless they become like them.
Who desires to enter the eternal world and be a servant, when the promise is held out that we may be sons and daughters of God? Yet there will be the vast majority who will enter into the eternal world as servants, and not as sons, and this simply because they think more of the world and its covenants, than they do of God and his covenants; simply because in their blindness of heart, they refuse to keep these sacred and holy commandments. Oh, what bitterness there will be in the day of judgment, when every man receives his reward according to his works!
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, p. 64-65

Like I say, there are 3 degrees of glory and depending how well you followed the example of Jesus, you end up in 1 of those 3 kingdoms. It is really simple. God will be the judge, and He will be assisted by His Son Jesus Christ and by the apostles in Jesus's time and by JS and others in our time.

If you think that is a strange doctrine that someone besides God will do some of the judging see Matthew 19:28.

Upvote 0