Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
meaning what? that these copies do not faithfully represent the originals? Neither do we have the original writings of Homers Iliad and Odyssey, or of Caesar's wars, but only very late copies? How many do you hear who question their genuineness? I get the distinct impression that you are trying to justify the glaring errors in the BOM, by attacking the Authority and Infallibility of the 66 Books of the Holy Bible.
It is not my desire to attack the Bible however the Bible is not inerrant. I use the Bible every day even though I know that there are some errors in it.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
It is not my desire to attack the Bible however the Bible is not inerrant. I use the Bible every day even though I know that there are some errors in it.

Nothing compared to what JS wrote!!! And you say the KJV is more accurate than the JST!

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
He thought so, too, before his demise.

"Come on! ye persecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on top at last. I have more to boast than any man ever had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet."
History of the Church, Vol. 6, sermon 1844, p. 408-409
Joseph Smith was not perfect. Having said that I know that he did an amazing amount of work for God during his short lifetime. I know that he was a prophet of God. The Book of mormon is proof of that. No one will ever turn me away from God or His prophets.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I didn't say the KJV was more accurate than the JST.

The JST is the accurate translation.

I think we have several times said the JST is more of a commentary, if you are going to go word for word Greek the KJV is probably more correct.

No--You didn't say it--wondering did--So you then disagree with her and do think that the JST is the more accurate? So who is right -- her or you? Or is this another one of your agree to disagree amongst yourselves?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
From the LDS Bible dictionary.
Joseph Smith Translation (JST)

A revision or translation of the King James Version of the Bible begun by the Prophet Joseph Smith in June 1830. He was divinely commissioned to make the translation and regarded it as “a branch of his calling” as a prophet. Although the major portion of the work was completed by July 1833, he continued to make modifications while preparing a manuscript for the press until his death in 1844, and it is possible that some additional modifications would have been made had he lived to publish the entire work. Some parts of the translation were published during his lifetime.

The translation process was a learning experience for the Prophet, and several sections of the Doctrine and Covenants (and also other revelations that are not published in the Doctrine and Covenants) were received in direct consequence of the work (D&C 76–77; 91). Also, specific instruction pertaining to the translation is given in D&C 37:1; 45:60–61; 76:15–18; 90:13; 94:10; 104:58; 124:89. The book of Moses and the 24th chapter of Matthew (JS—M), contained in the Pearl of Great Price, are actual excerpts from the JST. Many excerpts from the JST are also given in the appendix and footnotes in the edition of the KJV that accompanies this dictionary. The JST to some extent assists in restoring the plain and precious things that have been lost from the Bible (see 1 Ne. 13–14).

Although not the official Bible of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the JSToffers many interesting insights and is an invaluable aid to biblical interpretation and understanding. It is a most fruitful source of useful information for the student of the scriptures. It is likewise a witness for the divine calling and ministry of the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Joseph Smith was not perfect. Having said that I know that he did an amazing amount of work for God during his short lifetime. I know that he was a prophet of God.

And it's not even Fast Sunday. "If you're backed into a corner, bear your testimony."

The Book of mormon is proof of that.

On the contrary, the BoM is proof that he was not a prophet of the one and only true God.

No one will ever turn me away from God or His prophets.

Mormon gods?

Mormon prophets?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

A revision or translation of the King James Version of the Bible begun by the Prophet Joseph Smith in June 1830. He was divinely commissioned to make the translation and regarded it as “a branch of his calling” as a prophet. Although the major portion of the work was completed by July 1833, he continued to make modifications while preparing a manuscript for the press until his death in 1844, and it is possible that some additional modifications would have been made had he lived to publish the entire work. Some parts of the translation were published during his lifetime.

The translation process was a learning experience for the Prophet, and several sections of the Doctrine and Covenants (and also other revelations that are not published in the Doctrine and Covenants) were received in direct consequence of the work (D&C 76–77; 91). Also, specific instruction pertaining to the translation is given in D&C 37:1; 45:60–61; 76:15–18; 90:13; 94:10; 104:58; 124:89. The book of Moses and the 24th chapter of Matthew (JS—M), contained in the Pearl of Great Price, are actual excerpts from the JST. Many excerpts from the JST are also given in the appendix and footnotes in the edition of the KJV that accompanies this dictionary. The JST to some extent assists in restoring the plain and precious things that have been lost from the Bible (see 1 Ne. 13–14).

Although not the official Bible of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the JSToffers many interesting insights and is an invaluable aid to biblical interpretation and understanding. It is a most fruitful source of useful information for the student of the scriptures. It is likewise a witness for the divine calling and ministry of the Prophet Joseph Smith.

We trust Jesus over and above all false prophets and false teachers.

• Winner
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

You consider the BOM as the word of God and scripture---it contains excerpts from the JST--So the JST is the same as scripture then and wondering is not right in her assessment of the JST being just commentary. So some excerpts are considered scripture and some are not?---who picks? Another prophet who speaks for God?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
And it's not even Fast Sunday. "If you're backed into a corner, bear your testimony."

On the contrary, the BoM is proof that he was not a prophet of the one and only true God.

Mormon gods?

Mormon prophets?
For us there is only one God. He is the God of the Bible, and the Book of Mormon.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You consider the BOM as the word of God and scripture---it contains excerpts from the JST--So the JST is the same as scripture then and wondering is not right in her assessment of the JST being just commentary. So some excerpts are considered scripture and some are not?---who picks? Another prophet who speaks for God?
As far as I am concerned the JST is scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As far as I am concerned the JST is scripture.

Then explain why the JST of Romans 8:30 contradicts all known greek manuscripts (changing justification to sanctification) and translations. It certainly is a poor translation of that verse (at best) and a changing to suit one's views (at worst).

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Then explain why the JST of Romans 8:30 contradicts all known greek manuscripts (changing justification to sanctification) and translations. It certainly is a poor translation of that verse (at best) and a changing to suit one's views (at worst).
I believe that when God called someone according to His purpose He sanctifies them or in other words sets them apart for the calling they receive. It makes perfect sense to me just as Jesus got His authority from God and was sanctified by God.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I believe that when God called someone according to His purpose He sanctifies them or in other words sets them apart for the calling they receive. It makes perfect sense to me just as Jesus got His authority from God and was sanctified by God.

That does not explain the reason for the error. It is understood that you prefer the word of JS to the word God.

Upvote 0