Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, LDS believe that many people who have never stepped a mortal foot in an LDS temple (or even heard of the LDS church) will be 100% with God in the Celestial Kingdom.

God is great and merciful.
Through proxy ordinances done in the temple - and assuming they accept those ordinances done for them in the spirit world - big IF, baptism, endowment, celestial marriage, all done for the dead, if they accept it.

And lets not get into the problem of celestial polygamy, where men can be sealed for all eternity to more than one woman at a time, but woman can only be sealed to one man at a time.

If that's the LDS Gods mercy he can keep it.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Through proxy ordinances done in the temple - and assuming they accept those ordinances done for them in the spirit world - big IF
Speaking from the LDS perspective, the "if" you're describing is "if that person accepts Christ". I'm chill with that.

(The above is from the LDS perspective, obviously I respect that other people have other views on things).

Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Speaking from the LDS perspective, the "if" you're describing is "if that person accepts Christ". I'm chill with that.

(The above is from the LDS perspective, obviously I respect that other people have other views on things).
It is only valid if the person is accepting of the LDS Christ, so the discrimination continues into the spirt world.

Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There's only one Christ. Yes, some people have different views on some aspect, but there's only one Christ.

Actually there is only one True Christ, but there are many false ones.

The bible warns us repeatedly against following a false Christ, but I do understand that LDS don't take the Bible as seriously as christians, because LDS article of faith number 8 says "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly" this leaves a lot of scope to just dismiss the parts that go against LDS doctrine.

Mark 13:22
for false Christs and false prophets will arise, and show signs and wonders, in order to lead astray, if possible, the elect

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Actually there is only one True Christ, but there are many false ones.

The bible warns us repeatedly against following a false Christ, but I do understand that LDS don't take the Bible as seriously as christians, because LDS article of faith number 8 says "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly" this leaves a lot of scope to just dismiss the parts that go against LDS doctrine.
RoseCrystal: I (and other LDS) love the Bible. I'm not going to insult it by accepting crap translations or pretending even the best translators are perfect. I'm also firmly not sola scriptura. And none of those stance are something I'm going to apologize for.

Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
RoseCrystal: I (and other LDS) love the Bible. I'm not going to insult it by accepting crap translations or pretending even the best translators are perfect. I'm also firmly not sola scriptura. And none of those stance are something I'm going to apologize for.
So read a Interlinear Bible then so you can read the original Greek or Hebrew. Then you would be better equipped to spot so called 'crap' translations.

Interlinear Bible

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, LDS believe that many people who have never stepped a mortal foot in an LDS temple (or even heard of the LDS church) will be 100% with God in the Celestial Kingdom.

God is great and merciful.
Can you provide Mormon scripture that says that "many people who have never stepped a mortal foot in an LDS temple (or even heard of the LDS church) will be 100% with God in the Celestial Kingdom"? Or is this just something that many mormoms believe against the teaching of the Mormon religion?

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jane: Joseph Smyth mangled Romans 8:29-30 to suit his theology and LDS call this a prophetic translation.

As documented on another thread here

Issue Stated:

The Joseph Smith Translation is a blasphemous willy-nilly re-writing God's Word to fit Mormonism. The changes often have absolutely NO manuscript support.

Any person claiming to be a "Prophet" who does this is a False Prophet.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Example:

Romans 8:30
Greek Text: οὓς δὲ προώρισεν τούτους καὶ ἐκάλεσεν καὶ οὓς ἐκάλεσεν τούτους καὶ ἐδικαίωσεν οὓς δὲ ἐδικαίωσεν τούτους καὶ ἐδόξασεν

KJV: Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

JST: Moreover, him whom he did predestinate, him he also called; and him whom he called, him he also sanctified; and him whom he sanctified, him he also glorified.

=======

SMITH change Justified to Sanctified to support his works based salvation. There are NO greek manuscripts that support this rendering. This is not translation it is chicanery.

+++++++++++++++
I ask for an LDS member to do the following:

[1] cite one greek manuscript that uses the term for sanctification in Romans 8:30.
[2] explain why translation is not deceptive given Smith's rendering.
[3] Explain how this is not a violation of the 8th article of faith: "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly."

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well said, dzheremy.

This is the difference between Christianity, which is open to all, and occultism, which is any religion that hides esoteric information until a candidate has proven "worthy" to receive another piece of that hidden knowledge.

Christian churches and cathedrals are OPEN to ALL. Anyone can go into any Christian Church anytime they are opened up. Anyone can watch any Christian procession, ritual, liturgy, ceremony, etc. Not only can anyone watch, but it is encouraged to share. The clergy are happy to share and explain. The Gospel is a Free Message from God and we don't want to hold it back! Everything in the Church is centered on the Gospel.

Contrast to mormonism. They have secretive, exclusive buildings called "Temples". The only ones allowed in are those vetted and deemed "worthy" by their clergy. Their clergy and laity will not discuss what happens in those buildings. Nobody is allowed to see, nobody is given any explanation, nobody is permitted to share in that knowledge other than those vetted and approved. Of their own religion, it is a minority, about 10 to 20% who ever get permission to enter and start the levels of their mystery religion. The Cross is abhorred, as is its message. Other messages are given in secret. Oaths are required before men - Swearing as forbidden by God's Word is REQUIRED in these occultic temples.

These are clearly opposite religions.
Christianity: Open, free, no secrets, open to all, Free Gospel, no visitor is beholden to any member or clergy but only to God. Focus on Christ's Sacrifice because we can never be worthy (not a single one of us!) without it.
Mormonism: Closed, secretive, forbidden to be discussed, focus on members' individual sacrifices to earn "worthiness" before their "christ" will ever help them, occultic and esoteric, shut off from the world, uninviting, exclusive and CONTROLLING.

Mormonism does its best to look on the surface like a Christian church by hiding (again, they love hiding things) the reality about them. But any seeker who investigates them can quickly see through their charade as soon as they start learning the reality of that religion. The problem is that many are lulled into it by the lies and before they can realize they've been lied to they are being controlled.

Before convincing us to be baptized, the missionaries did not inform me nor my sister who died, still a non-temple-married Mormon, of special, secret requirements to spend eternity with God. Mormons appear to skirt around the bush.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Can you provide Mormon scripture that says that "many people who have never stepped a mortal foot in an LDS temple (or even heard of the LDS church) will be 100% with God in the Celestial Kingdom"? Or is this just something that many mormoms believe against the teaching of the Mormon religion?

That is a total unknown in LDS scripture. It all depends on the only-known-to-God desire in the deceased person's heart, but LDS scripture does NOT address it.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Before convincing us to be baptized, the missionaries did not inform me nor my sister who died, still a non-temple-married Mormon, of special, secret requirements to spend eternity with God. Mormons appear to skirt around the bush.
Thanks, Phoebe. Did they lead you to believe in any way that baptism gained you salvation?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If Mormons love a book (Bible), why do they believe the Book of Mormon's statement that so-called missing parts can cause people to stumble and be under Satan's control?

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.
1 Nephi 13

Why do Mormons believe Joseph Smith's statement:
"I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book."(History of the Church, 4:461).

Reactions: RoseCrystal
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thanks, Phoebe. Did they lead you to believe in any way that baptism gained you salvation?

I had six lessons within two weeks, then baptism and confirmation. They had me believe that their church was Christ's true church and agree to keep Christ's commandments. I did not for one second know that those so-called commandments were not in the Bible, except the word of wisdom, or that marriage for time and eternity was a commandment. It was presented as an opportunity. The atonement, I later learned, was an opportunity to be saved if I kept all the commandments. Up to that time, my siblings and I were raised in a non-Christian home and did not have visitors to our home. The living relatives were non-Christians. I don't think I understood what salvation was. I was a naive 18-yr.-old still living at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There's only one Christ. Yes, some people have different views on some aspect, but there's only one Christ.

Are you saying that God's word is really someone else's word?

Bible God Speaks Today.gif
Why do you claim that you and other Mormons love a book you don't even believe?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We can receive eternal life and salvation from knowing the only true God and Jesus Christ, whom he has sent. Many believe that there is a God, many say that they know there is a God, but many do not act like they know God. There is a great difference in believing or knowing that there is a God and in knowing God. When we claim that we know God, it bears great responsibility, and an apostle has given us information to check our knowledge of God...

Parents, are you showing and teaching by example in your home how to use tobacco? Tobacco is a drug. Doctors say cigarettes are the nation’s greatest single health peril. A doctor speaking in Salt Lake City recently said that cigarettes kill five times more people than do traffic accidents. Jesus Christ said that “tobacco … is not good for man.” (D&C 89:8.) Tobacco is not good for children and is not good for adults.

A person who knows God would want to be like God, because God is perfect. God has all knowledge. God has power to create mankind from the dust of the earth. Anyone knowing God would have great respect for God. Anyone knowing the living God and indulging in the number one killer and destroyer of health of mankind shows a lack of love and knowledge and respect for God...

Parents, your children are from God. There is no other answer from God. They have divine potential, and it is your responsibility to help them to know and love God, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, their Savior.
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1972/07/knowing-god?lang=eng

Jane_Doe claims there is only one Christ. If there is a true Christ, there must be one or more false ones.

"We are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves us and wants us to draw near to Him. He has given us the opportunity to pray to Him and has promised to hear and answer our prayers. We can also come to know Him as we study the scriptures and the words of latter-day prophets and as we strive to become more like Him by following His will."
https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/yw/godhead/heavenly-father?lang=eng&_r=1

021.JPG

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I'd really like to know what you class as 'crap' translations, its pretty vague to call a translation of the bible crap and not say why or which one
Example: NWT.
The point of LDS being aware of translation stuff isn't to call out specific 'this one is junk' (though NWT is so horrible that's just obvious), but to be aware of the subject.

Upvote 0