United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
Consider John 17 -

20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

Here. Jesus is praying that his followers will know the *exact* kind of unity he knows with Heavenly Father.

It's rare for me to see a Trinitarian reconcile this passage with the 3 - in - 1 concept without reverting to metaphor or a long wall of text.

Can I have a go? ;-)

You said it's "rare". This means you have seen this reconciled before, right? So you know this is not an issue for those of us who are Trinitarians?

Jesus is talking about sharing unity and purpose here. He obviously does with the Father, and wants his followers to do likewise. This isn't controversial at all. I have not seen this cited as proof of the Trinity (though I have seen JWs use it to try and disprove the Trinity) because that's not the subject Jesus is addressing - in other words, he isn't discussing his identity here.

Elsewhere Jesus says things that infuriate the religious leaders, for example in John 5:18 we read, "For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God."

This is especially interesting as John isn't just reporting something that happened, he is interpreting it, and stating that this is what Jesus was doing. So the question I would have is, where in the Bible are humans ever told they we equal with God? We're not, on the contrary, in Isaiah alone it says

To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?” says the Holy One.” (Isaiah 40:25)

With whom will you compare me or count me equal? To whom will you liken me that we may be compared?” (Isaiah 46:5)​

So the Bible is clear, no one is equal to God. This rules out Jesus being a separate God, and the notion of a Heavenly Mother or any other deity anywhere.

:)

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Can I have a go? ;-)

You said it's "rare". This means you have seen this reconciled before, right? So you know this is not an issue for those of us who are Trinitarians?
Honestly I've never seen it reconciled to my satisfaction. Though I know that other people have it reconciled to their satisfaction.
So the Bible is clear, no one is equal to God. This rules out Jesus being a separate God
LDS do believe that Christ is God.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
LDS are henotheists.

D&C 76
94 They who dwell in his presence are the church of the Firstborn; and they see as they are seen, and know as they are known, having received of his fulness and of his grace;

95 And he makes them equal in power, and in might, and in dominion.

To qualify as the Redeemer of all our Father’s children, Jesus had to be perfectly obedient to all the laws of God. Because He subjected Himself to the will of the Father, He grew “from grace to grace, until he received a fulness” of the Father’s power. Thus He had “all power, both in heaven and on earth.” (D&C 93:13, 17.)10
Chapter 6: Jesus Christ, Our Savior and Redeemer

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LDS do believe that Christ is God.
For Christians God is the creator of all that is. I've had this discussion with Mormon apologists and they admit that for them God is an infinite regress that hasn't been resolved.

Upvote 0