Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
1. Keep going to the Orthodox church. Honestly, even if you were a nondenominational protestant going to a nondenominational church, I wouldn't advise you to change what church you go to because of some conflict with a friend unless it were rising to the level of physical disruption of the service. These are your people.
2. Talk to your priest. It's often more helpful than you'd think, and what's the worst that could happen? 1000 prostrations as penance for bringing him a stupid problem?

Upvote 0

cassc

Veteran- I am an Orthodox Christian
Jan 24, 2007
New England
✟16,923.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
i kno i said i don't want to be anywhere near my friend, but i wouldn't actually stop going to church because of him.

I am glad to hear that, but really this kind of thing can be very detrimental to your spiritual and emotional health. I have met with my priest to talk about troubles I am having with co-workers, friends, and family. It seems mundane but it really is important to talk to someone about this. It's clearly hurting you a lot and it's an unfortunate extra burden that your parents are using this opportunity to steer you way from Orthodoxy but you seem to be staying level headed so hang in there!

Upvote 0

Julina

Veteran
Apr 14, 2008
New Joisey
Visit site
✟18,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you have any idea why your parents would not want you to go to an Orthodox Church?
my dad's an Episcopal priest, and I'm thinking that with lots of people leaving the Episcopal church nowadays my parents wouldn't want their own daughter to do that. but i don't know for sure.

sometimes i really feel torn between my family and my religion. would i be disrespecting my parents if i don't do what they tell me to this time?

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ah, your dad being an Episcopal Priest does have a lot to do with his advice.

Yes, a lot of Episcopalians are converting to Roman Catholicism and to Orthodox Christianity. Yes, it is a terrible time worldwide for the Episcopal and Anglican Church. On the other hand, perhaps your converting to Orthodoxy will be the event that will trigger your father and mother to consider Orthodoxy too. It has happened. My son wanted to become Orthodox and his request led our family to embrace Orthodoxy.

Many children have helped their parents look into Orthodoxy. Read some convert stories here at TAW and through books.

Yes, I would confide in your Spiritual Father because he is to be a physician for your soul and will strive to be unbiased and serve as Christ to you. Trust in God, be humble, and realize that your priest is there to serve.

If your boyfriend is dating another person, well maybe it is for the good. Would not it be wonderful if she also converts to Orthodoxy? And might another man be your future husband?

You are young. There is still time. And if you really want a devout husband, you could go to St. Vladimir Seminary, Hellenic College, or Holy Cross.

Upvote 0

Julina

Veteran
Apr 14, 2008
New Joisey
Visit site
✟18,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
ok so my parents really really reeaallllyy do not want me to go to The Orthodox church tomorrow (i actually had a dream about going to the Catholic church a few nightd ago).
they say that my friend hurt me once already and it would just hurt me again to keep going to church with him. First off, i am not necessarily going to church with him. i've gone by myself many times before and i'm sure i can do it as long as i need to. Secondly, i am not doing this because i'm hoping my friend will fall in love with me or something stupid like that. Religion is just too serious to mess around with like that. if that were really the case, then i probably would've stopped going a long, long time ago.
my parents don't want my head to be clouded with thoughts of my friend/the situation during the service. who says that that couldn't happen during any other non-Orthodox service? i think it would be more of a problem if i went anywhere else. to me, going to another church would be the easy way out. i shouldn't let some stupid high-headed loser guy friend get in the way of my worship.
they say that i'm only 20 and i'm too young to have everything worked out yet. i never said that i did! they think they can read my mind but they really can't. they don't know anything about my spiritual life! oh why does nobody understand me?

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
ok so my parents really really reeaallllyy do not want me to go to The Orthodox church tomorrow (i actually had a dream about going to the Catholic church a few nightd ago).
they say that my friend hurt me once already and it would just hurt me again to keep going to church with him. First off, i am not necessarily going to church with him. i've gone by myself many times before and i'm sure i can do it as long as i need to. Secondly, i am not doing this because i'm hoping my friend will fall in love with me or something stupid like that. Religion is just too serious to mess around with like that. if that were really the case, then i probably would've stopped going a long, long time ago.
my parents don't want my head to be clouded with thoughts of my friend/the situation during the service. who says that that couldn't happen during any other non-Orthodox service? i think it would be more of a problem if i went anywhere else. to me, going to another church would be the easy way out. i shouldn't let some stupid high-headed loser guy friend get in the way of my worship.
they say that i'm only 20 and i'm too young to have everything worked out yet. i never said that i did! they think they can read my mind but they really can't. they don't know anything about my spiritual life! oh why does nobody understand me?

hugs.jpg

Upvote 0

Julina

Veteran
Apr 14, 2008
New Joisey
Visit site
✟18,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
:hug: thanks

i talked to my priest a little bit last night. it didn't go as smoothly as i'd hoped, but later that night one of my mom's friends called me and we talked for a long, long time. she pretty much confirmed everything i thought about my friend (he's a little out of touch with reality) and gave me some good advice and made me wonder about things i hadn't even thought about before. i felt much better afterwards.

i went to the Orthodox church again this morning, and it was fine. i'm just worried about what i'd tell my parents now

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.