More on preterism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00
I didn't turn any sentence from it's intention.

1074 genea ghen-eh-ah'

from (a presumed derivative of) 1085; a generation; by implication, an age (the period or the persons):--age, generation, nation, time.

My point when Jesus said this generation shall not pass, He was referring to the generation that would see these things.

Upvote 0

jenlu

May 29, 2002
Visit site
✟625.00
Why didn't He say, which would seem normal, the generation that sees these thing take place will not pass...He said...This generation(meaning the generation then living) shall not pass till all these things take place...it's very confusing to think how all those things could've taken place within that generation...

Upvote 0

armothe

Living in HIS kingdom...
May 22, 2002
Visit site
✟16,561.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
THIS GENERATION:

This (Mirriam Webster)
1 the person, thing, or idea that is present or near in place, time, or thought or that has just been mentioned
2 the one more recently referred to

Generation (Mirriam Webster)
1 a body of living beings constituting a single step in the line of descent from an ancestor
2 the process of coming or bringing into being
3 the average span of time between the birth of parents and that of their offspring

Let's look at the Greek:

Matthew 24:34 - Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place

The greek word used for generation is genea - Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the NT

Definition: The whole multitude of men living at the same time

Other Lexicons' definitions:

The interval of time between father & son... from thirty to forty years those living in any one period; this present generation.

A generation of mankind, a step in genealogy.

The whole multitude of men living at the same time--Mt xxiv.34... used esp. of the Jewish race living at one and the same period.

Various Bible Dictionaries: genea.

Thus Herodotus says that "three generations of men make an hundred years."

It is used of people living at the same time, and by extension... of the time itself... 40 years.

Of the 43 references to genea in the NT... 25 (are) of its occurrences to the Jewish people in the time of Jesus.

The age or period of a body of contemporaries.... The generation lasts as long as any of the members survive.

... from thirty to forty years....

The period of time between the birth of parents and the birth of their children... most biblical writers seem to consider thirty to forty years a normal generation.

The "circle" of life, spanning from a man's birth to that of his son... forty years.

Other instances of "genea" in the NT:

Matt. 11:16 (Luke 7:31) - "But what shall I compare this generation?"

Matt. 12:39 - "But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation craved for a sign; and yet no sign shall be given to it but the sign of Jonah the prophet."

Matt. 12:43-45 - Read these passages and Jesus say, "That is the way it will also be with this evil generation."

Matt. 17:17 (Mark 9:19 & Luke 9:41) - "And Jesus answered and said, "O unbelieving and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring him here to Me."

Mark 8:38-9:1 - "For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels."

Luke 11:50, 51 (Matt. 23:36) - "In order that the blood of all the prophets, shed since the foundation of the world, may be charged against this generation, from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who perished between altar and the house of God; yes, I tell you, it shall be charged against this generation."

Luke 17:25 - "But first He must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation."

Acts 2:40 - "And with many other words he solemnly testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, 'Be saved from this perverse generation!'"

Phil. 2:14-16 - "Do all things without grumbling or disputing; that you may prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may have cause to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain."

Heb. 3:9-11 - "Where your fathers tried Me by testing Me, and saw My works for forty years. Therefore I was angry with this generation, and said 'They always go astray in their hearts; and they did not know My way'; as I swore in My wrath, 'They shall not enter MY rest."

Obviously, every time the phrase "THIS GENERATION" is spoken in the N.T. is ALWAYS speaks of Christ's contemporary generation (e.g. Matt 23:36). But let's look at some translations and Church leaders:

MATTHEW 24:34 -- IN DEPTH:

New English Bible:
"I tell you this: the present generation will live to see it all."

Today's English Version:
"Remember this! All these things will happen before the people now living have all died."

Moffatt's Translation:
"I tell you truly, the present generation will not pass away, till all this happens."

Contemporary English Version:
I can promise you that some of the people of this generation will still be alive when all this happens.

Weymouth's Translation:
"I tell you in solemn truth that the present generation will certainly not pass away until all this has taken place."

King James:
"Verily I say unto you, this generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."

-A

Upvote 0

Pericles

Christian
May 21, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Mandy
I didn't turn any sentence from it's intention.

1074 genea ghen-eh-ah'

from (a presumed derivative of) 1085; a generation; by implication, an age (the period or the persons):--age, generation, nation, time.

My point when Jesus said this generation shall not pass, He was referring to the generation that would see these things.

The "story" of Matthew 24 doesn't start in 24:1, but in Matthew 23:1. In the entire chapter 23 of Matthew, Jesus talks about "this generation", clearly talking about his contemporaries. I have a better idea...Christ was talking about the time when aliens will take over our planet..and evidently that generation of aliens that will see these things will not pass away until His return. That explanation now is much more plausible to me!

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Mandy
Jesus was referring to the time or age in which these things would transpire. He was not telling them that their generation would not pass, but the generation that saw these things.

Would you mind pointing out were Jesus mentioned two generation in that vrese? :scratch:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.