Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Omicron Cases Are Hitting Highs, But New Data Put End in Sight
"Data suggest hospitalizations are now decoupled from case numbers, and the variant causes less severe disease"

"One study out of South Africa found that patients admitted to the hospital there during the omicron-dominated fourth wave of the virus were 73% less likely to have severe disease than patients admitted during the delta-dominated third wave. “The data is quite solid now that hospitalizations and cases are decoupled,” said Wendy Burgers, an immunologist at the University of Cape Town."

Read the rest of the article before faultfinding.

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is it possible that as the risks of this epidemic subside and governments reduce the restrictions, that there will be movements of people who believe and insist that governments are lying to them. It seems very fashionable to take the opposite view to anything which governments have to say these days!

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Going to Monica Gandhi for quotes is probably a mistake, given her poor track record, but the meat of the article is great. Here is another good summary of the current situation: There is good news
Thanks for the artical you posted. I have been concerned how Omicron affects children, and its seems less severe in Children than Delta.

"In children under 5 years old, the overall risks of ED visit and hospitalization for Omicron were 3.89% and 0.96% respectively, significantly lower than 21.01% and 2.65% in the matched Delta cohort."

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: stevil
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is something I'm finding annoying with certain people claiming that Omicron isn't a big deal because the hospitalization rate is lower.

Sure, maybe it is, but if you are infecting more people you still end up filling up the hospital.
Balance is important. Yes, Omicron being less severe is good new, but it's still pretty bad. The conclusion should always be: get vaccinated/boosted.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yes. Nonetheless, given the much larger number of children being infected with Omicron, hospital and ICU admissions are all higher now: Covid hospitalizations among US children soar as schools under pressure

Covid19 is no longer as monolithic as it used to be. The new variant appears to be less deadly for the elderly. South Africa is a good "test tube" for that since they have a rather lower vaccination rate of about 1/3. But it appears to be a larger problem for children, as shown by the uptick in their presences at hospitals.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Omicron Cases Are Hitting Highs, But New Data Put End in Sight
"Data suggest hospitalizations are now decoupled from case numbers, and the variant causes less severe disease"

"One study out of South Africa found that patients admitted to the hospital there during the omicron-dominated fourth wave of the virus were 73% less likely to have severe disease than patients admitted during the delta-dominated third wave. “The data is quite solid now that hospitalizations and cases are decoupled,” said Wendy Burgers, an immunologist at the University of Cape Town."

Read the rest of the article before faultfinding.

The article sounds encouraging.

We retired to a rural area, and haven't left the property in while. I might go and buy food for dinner in town, but we have plenty to do around here so we could go weeks without seeing anyone.

Even though we had our shots, and basically LIVE in isolation? lol we were diagnosed with Omicron yesterday. I just thought we had a couple of head colds. We were lazy the first day, because we didn't feel ourselves. The second day we were pretty much fine. By the third day a neighbor called and said it was going around. That was yesterday and we got tested at our local hospital. We got a Zpack, and today we feel almost back to normal.

My BIL and our son live with us, and they are negative and never had 'head colds' at all.

Decoupled is a good thing, and people should be encouraged by it. Although, for the last couple of years fear as been encouraged - at times way to far - and it maybe hard to let go of.

Let's hope not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people speak as if any good news about something bad offends them. Of course Omicron and all Covid are bad. However, people need hope to carry on with their lives.
South Africa COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Look at the Worldometer data of South Africa. Omicron has a large spike and then it diminishes. And the death rate remains low. This will happen in Europe and America too. While Omicron will remain, some experts say this will end the pandemic nature of Covid. It's going to become just another bad thing that we get once in a while, like all the diseases that have come before.

This will happen sooner rather than later, in 2-3 weeks for England, and afterward, America.

This is good news!

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some people speak as if any good news about something bad offends them. Of course Omicron and all Covid are bad. However, people need hope to carry on with their lives.
South Africa COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Look at the Worldometer data of South Africa. Omicron has a large spike and then it diminishes. And the death rate remains low. This will happen in Europe and America too. While Omicron will remain, some experts say this will end the pandemic nature of Covid. It's going to become just another bad thing that we get once in a while, like all the diseases that have come before.

This will happen sooner rather than later, in 2-3 weeks for England, and afterward, America.

This is good news!

The main issue that we still don't know is will it overwhelm and cause problems in hospitals.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I asked my brother in America about the Omicron surge and he pointed out that many hospitals are going to be worse off than usual because they fired their unvaxxed staff.

We may have fewer health care workers now than when the pandemic began due to this.

We might be able to save a lot of lives by allowing the unvaxxed back to their jobs and take their chances with Covid just as they did before there were vaccines.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I asked my brother in America about the Omicron surge and he pointed out that many hospitals are going to be worse off than usual because they fired their unvaxxed staff.

We may have fewer health care workers now than when the pandemic began due to this.

We might be able to save a lot of lives by allowing the unvaxxed back to their jobs and take their chances with Covid just as they did before there were vaccines.

so....we should lt them in to infect those that are already in trouble?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except that's what your suggesting, that were so in need of nurses we should let those that might kill patients work?
If you think I meant that, then you are wrong. If you don't think I meant that, then you are lying.

I know the first is true and only you know if the second is.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0