More Fellowship with Soph and Friends (200)

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Not using SP3 is...inadvisable. :confused:

I say this as a network engineer, by the way. I would not surf the web on an SP2 box.
I don't surf the web much at all, I mainly just go to perhaps a dozen sites or so and don't have flash installed I run firefox exclusively with adblock plus on also. I would like to upgrade to 7 pro but funds are too tight for that effort, I don't like 8 or 8.1 and haven't bothered to look at 10 till it gets out of beta stages. I'm a former systems integrator from the mid 90s and part time PC tech.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I don't surf the web much at all, I mainly just go to perhaps a dozen sites or so and don't have flash installed I run firefox exclusively with adblock plus on also. I would like to upgrade to 7 pro but funds are too tight for that effort, I don't like 8 or 8.1 and haven't bothered to look at 10 till it gets out of beta stages. I'm a former systems integrator from the mid 90s and part time PC tech.

Well, I can understand not being able to spring for Windows 7, but why run SP2? Unless you are very short on specs it just seems dangerous to me, although not as bad as running pre-SP2, SP2 did at least correct several of the defective internals.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Ok
Well, I can understand not being able to spring for Windows 7, but why run SP2? Unless you are very short on specs it just seems dangerous to me, although not as bad as running pre-SP2, SP2 did at least correct several of the defective internals.
I agree with you if it were anyone but me I would have them patch, but for me the slight risk of making my computer inoperable is bigger than the chance of what the patch could protect me from. For now I've got a huge mess where I am and if I were to have trouble with patching taking my computer offline or worse such that I had to spend a few hours researching online to solve the problem I wouldn't be able to do so as I cannot easily get to another computer nor do I have a smart phone available to use. Even if I had windows 7 pro to install I wouldn't do so where I'm at now unless I was forced to.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Ok
I agree with you if it were anyone but me I would have them patch, but for me the slight risk of making my computer inoperable is bigger than the chance of what the patch could protect me from. For now I've got a huge mess where I am and if I were to have trouble with patching taking my computer offline or worse such that I had to spend a few hours researching online to solve the problem I wouldn't be able to do so as I cannot easily get to another computer nor do I have a smart phone available to use. Even if I had windows 7 pro to install I wouldn't do so where I'm at now unless I was forced to.

Ok, I understand, but I urge you to save up and get out of your current situation, as it sounds unsafe in respect of your data.

Reactions: Sophrosyne
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I would love to have a job that paid well working with computers, but sadly since I was in business I've found nobody wants to hire me
around here on a full time basis. I've had people want me to work on their computers on occasion but I've found that I can't handle the
stress that some of them put on me doing that type of work at this time. The pay isn't worth it to fix one computer a month and then to have
to raise idiots who shouldn't own a computer getting constant calls about every stupid thing they do at even 3am... with panic setting in as they crashed their computer and need it to do something and they don't even want to pay me average wages for that... nope I had to quit all of that stuff it made me sick and bitter.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Ok, I understand, but I urge you to save up and get out of your current situation, as it sounds unsafe in respect of your data.
I'm unable to save up in my current situation. My data for the most part is backed up on an external drive which I only turn on to back things up and also I put the very important stuff on DVD-RW and CDRs too. I haven't backed up lately but the only extra data I have to speak of is a database of my music and movie collection and mp3s of my music which if lost can be restored from the CDs I own.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I sympathize entirely. I need to retire for the evening, but I will be around later.
You are welcome here anytime..... nice to get some "guy talk" here as the few guys I had frequenting my thread seemed to have gotten too busy to participate and even they aren't as tech savvy. At one time I would have loved to be a network engineer but after getting sick in the past I'm rather unsure that I could handle the stress load that is "normal" for that position. It would have to be with an exceptional company and exceptional people for me to avoid worrying too much and being stuck in too many "emergency" situations stressing me out to the max.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Well I got all my clocks but the one on my car stereo changed. I find it irritating that cars on average don't come with clocks on the dash and that many car stereos made don't have a clock in mind in their displays that it can default to or even a simple button you can push to display one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
do you get stressed out easily?
not as easily as I used to, I've learned to handle stress a lot better in some ways I don't get stressed out nearly as much as others but in other ways I get stressed out a lot easier.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:wave:

Happy Cookie Monster Day!