Oregon
✟7,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Single
All sin is equal in that it separates us from God, however all sin (no matter how big or small) can be forgiven by believing/following Jesus. (Saved by grace through faith/and faith being the constant). He will punish sin equally, the major sin is not believing in the Son of God and the redemption of the Cross and never knowing him.
Ultimately no one is punished for any sin they committed -- not a one. Jesus told us what people are condemned for now: that the Light has come into the world and some prefer darkness. When He paid for sins, He paid for them all, and that judgment is over and done; when He died for sins, He let there be light, and it is our response to the light by which we are judged.

Reactions: YahuahSaves
YahuahSaves
YahuahSaves
So in your opinion what is the kingdom of heaven? Religion told me it's the afterlife, but I'm beginning to think Jesus meant this life and the next.

I agree, it's up to us to make a choice to follow him or not. You just stated it another way.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd say that you're mixing two different things; on the one hand, sin, while on the other, public morals/ethics.

For sin, there is no fudging; anything that falls short of perfect righteousness is sin, period -- there's no grade scale, no grading on a curve, there's just what an engineer would call 100% inspection and 100% compliance. It doesn't matter if an action is meditated and carried through, is done on impulse, is done without even thinking about it, or even is done without being aware of the action; all that matters is that it is not 100% compliant. This is what Jesus was pointing to when in the Sermon on the Mount He told the crowd, "You have heard it said.... but I say....", moving the "goalpost" from outward physical action to just the thought regardless of whether the thought is carried through. And His conclusion of that discourse was, "So be perfect/complete as My Father in Heaven is perfect/complete". If an action, or even a thought, isn't perfect/complete, it's sin -- and in fact the Apostle takes this theme to its ultimate conclusion, that "everything which is not of faith is sin".

But in society the concern isn't sin, it's public order and safety. Public order depends on what a society considers good and what it considers bad, not on any absolute scale, and thus public morals are by nature somewhat situational and also somewhat flexible -- and thus situational ethics can come into play, depending on the basic moral concepts of the society; a society where morals are defined according to standards of sin will be far less flexible, which means far less understanding, compassion, and mercy, while a society that is based on some shared understanding of what is good and what is bad will have much more flexibility and so have far more room for understanding, compassion, and mercy. This also means that whether a given system is objective can only judged by how much that society understands what is and what isn't actually harmful to others, and whatever standard is set will also bend according to what a society considers heroic or worthy of praise.

Ironically this means that for a society to be stable it cannot hold tight to rigid standards, i.e. to measures of sin, because that society will be less capable of compassion and mercy, while at the other end of the spectrum a society that is too flexible will also not be stable because there will be no agreed-on measure of justice, let alone its positive companion virtues.

Since your question looks at associating with other people, then you have to find a balance that works for you -- a truth that requires you to be flexible and thus to some extent view things relatively. How do you decide on your public standards, then? St. Paul offers some advice: insofar as is possible with you, be at peace with all men. In more modern terms we might say, as much as you're capable, get along with people.
Thank you for taking the time to thoughtfully write that. Well laid out, well balanced, a lot of food for thought no matter which end of the spectrum you are on.

The Sermon on The Mount waylaid the true condition of the human heart, and how deep the issue really goes. No one was going to come out of that sermon feeling good about themselves and rightfully so. He wanted us to see we were never going to find the solution in ourselves, only in Him. If you were going to try and base it on your own merits, He was saying, forget it.

If you ever have a revelation of that, if you have ever gone on with the Lord to know the true condition of your own heart, and had that revealed to you by the Holy Spirit, you will never question how deep His love, Mercy and forgiveness go.

But to leave it at that comes up well short. If we say you are never beyond His mercy, but because of your socioeconomic, environmental and cultural conditions you are beyond His repair, His ability to transform you into the image of His Son, Is that love?

I submit to you that it is far from love and makes Christ out to be a liar. It is to say the blood of the cross is good enough and available to all, but the power of the cross to transform a person's life is only capable for a few. It all depends on how you grew up and a lot of other factors. This is not what He came to say. That may fill churches and make everyone feel good, but it is not love and only grieves God.

But with that said, to your second point, for a Christianity to begin waging a long protracted legal battle to exact the laws of the sermon on the mount upon a society IMHO is completely missing the point. This battle was never intended to be waged at the voting booth and the supreme court, it was always a battle of the heart. We were supposed to be a Spiritual city on a hill, that reflected the light of truth to the world, and the answer in Christ for which He came. We were never intended to be a governmental institution waging a legal battle, but rather a Spiritual entity engaged in a Spiritual battle for men's souls. It seems at some point it was easier for Christianity to put down it's own cross and the cost thereof, and pick up an earthly battle with no possible way to win. The result seems to be the light of that Spiritual City has faded, and darkness has settled in. Now it is nothing more than a bar room brawl.

****Some parts edited our of respect for OP thread. Felt I was veering some from original Point. Didn't want to derail*****

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All sin is equal in that it separates us from God, however all sin (no matter how big or small) can be forgiven by believing/following Jesus. (Saved by grace through faith/and faith being the constant). He will punish sin equally, the major sin is not believing in the Son of God and the redemption of the Cross and never knowing him.
I believe that as it relates to whether we have stolen a little or stolen a lot, or not stolen at all, but just thought about it, we are still in need of our savior. We don't need Him either a little or a lot based on the extent of what we have done . If we truly knew the condition of our heart we would know how much we all need Him in full.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
FYI, today I watched on YouTube, Jordan Peterson with a panel which included Denis Prager and other scripture and philosophical scholars discussing the book of Exodus. It was only an 8-minute segment, but it interested me enough to subscribe to The Daily Wire.

Anyway, I was able to watch one hour of the first part, which is two hours. It has much to do with the subject of this thread
and on the relative moralism.

I'm happy that I subscribed even just for this series.
Not possible, as it requires a subscription to The Daily Wire

Sorry!

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because the blame and responsibility is relative to motivation and/or circumstances. This is why the law of love covers more (moral) territory than specific laws. The law of love will always seek the good of the other; whereas, the specific law against lying might not always seek the good of others, e.g., do I lie to Nazi's when they come asking about hidden Jews, when I happen to be hiding some?

Again though, this doesn't seem like moral relativism. Kant's Categorical Imperative could apply to your example, which is not morally relativistic.

Upvote 0