Marital Status
Private
Venus is a star.

A "wandering star."

It took academia to come along and change it to "planet."

Now they ridicule anyone who uses the "outdated term."

Ditto for "fetus."
Text embolding by me.

AV, if you bothered to check the etymology of the word planet you would find it derives from the Greek asteras planetai, "wandering stars". The star part was dropped and the planetai, via the Latin planetes, became the English planet. It wasn't academia that produced the change, but the normal evolution of language. However, since you apparently thing the ancient Hebrews spoke Jacobean English I don't expect you understand.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,922,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
However, since you apparently think the ancient Hebrews spoke Jacobean English I don't expect you understand.

No, the ancient Hebrews didn't speak Jacobean English.

Jacobean English was gone before Abram was even born.

Genesis 11:1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

Genesis 11:5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Let me paraphrase for clarity:

Genesis 11:1 And the whole earth
[spoke and wrote in Jacobean English].

Genesis 11:5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there
[change Jacobean English to other languages] of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟281,371.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The moon does not take legal possession of the light. It cannot do so because it is an object. It cannot do anything legally or illegally. It just 'does'.
Do you ever stop and wonder responding to this nonsense is going down to the level of the poster making it?
It's one of the reasons I have put him on ignore, like many other members who have chosen the ignore function as well.

• Winner
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟362,118.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Do you ever stop and wonder responding to this nonsense is going down to the level of the poster making it?
It's one of the reasons I have put him on ignore, like many other members who have chosen the ignore function as well.

I'm not on any particularly high level as it is. I only seem like it because I follow the site's 'no swearing/cursing' rules.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟396,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not on any particularly high level as it is. I only seem like it because I follow the site's 'no swearing/cursing' rules.
But some of the posters on this site really bring out the Jarhead in me :D
And when I've has a bad day with the wife (She has Alzheimer's) makes it all the so much harder not to blow :D :D

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟281,371.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On the subject of shadows which destroys the argument the moon emits its own light, NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter created a video of the shadow movement at the moon's south pole.
Studying the shadows allows scientists to study the temperature at and below the surface.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

T.i.m.o.t.h.y.

Mar 7, 2024
Indiana
✟12,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes.

No argument there.

I don't believe in a flat earth.

That's no reason to abstain from interpreting the Bible.

I'm not a flat earther.
Aren't you the one who posted images of the moon and stated that the moon has it's own light? And that apparently is separate from believing in a flat earth.

I'm new to discussion boards and so many different beliefs. I'm flabbergasted to discover such myriads of views as I've never known existed before.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,922,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Aren't you the one who posted images of the moon and stated that the moon has it's own light?

Guilty as charged.

And that apparently is separate from believing in a flat earth.

I don't believe in a flat earth; and I fail to see what moonlight has to do with it.

I'm new to discussion boards and so many different beliefs.

Welcome to CF!

Good to have you here!

I'm flabbergasted to discover such myriads of views as I've never known existed before.

Here's what's in my profile:

Independent Fundamental Baptist
King James Version Only
Seven Theme Dispensation
Verbal Plenary Inspiration
Literal Creation
Pretrib Rapture
Premillennial

Upvote 0

T.i.m.o.t.h.y.

Mar 7, 2024
Indiana
✟12,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good grief are you so deluded into thinking the out of focus images of Venus and the star proves Venus is a star when they don’t even remotely look the same?

The concentric patterns in the out of focus star is caused by optical system of the telescope and is a technique used to adjust the collimation of the optics.
You do not see this concentric patterns in the out of focus Venus because Venus is an extended object which is magnified by the telescope, unlike the star which is a theoretical point source.

The first image which shows an in focus Venus is proof the science is right and the Bible is wrong as a support for geocentricism.
Venus and Mercury which are inside Earth’s orbit exhibit phases like the moon as explained in the diagram.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

A geocentric model using a stationary Earth at the centre will not produce phases.

No, the ancient Hebrews didn't speak Jacobean English.

Jacobean English was gone before Abram was even born.

Genesis 11:1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Let me paraphrase for clarity:

Genesis 11:1 And the whole earth [spoke and wrote in Jacobean English].

9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there [change Jacobean English to other languages] of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Guilty as charged.

I don't believe in a flat earth; and I fail to see what moonlight has to do with it.

Welcome to CF!

Good to have you here!

Here's what's in my profile:

Independent Fundamental Baptist
King James Version Only
Seven Theme Dispensation
Verbal Plenary Inspiration
Literal Creation
Pretrib Rapture
Premillennial
I haven't filled out such particulars yet.
I'm Whesley-Methodist. Dispensational. Biblical Creation.
Pretrib Rapture & Premillennial.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,922,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't filled out such particulars yet.
I'm Whesley-Methodist. Dispensational. Biblical Creation.
Pretrib Rapture & Premillennial.

Glad to have you aboard! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
God/Jesus did not accept man's testimony about who Jesus is.

Yet I do not receive testimony from man, but I say these things that you may be saved.
Context
“If I bear witness of Myself, My witness is not true. There is another who bears witness of Me, and I know that the witness which He witnesses of Me is true. You have sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth. Yet I do not receive testimony from man, but I say these things that you may be saved. He was the burning and shining lamp, and you were willing for a time to rejoice in his light. But I have a greater witness than John’s; for the works which the Father has given Me to finish—the very works that I do—bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me. And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form. But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

So why would God need mans testimony about God's creation. God has give mankind what He(God) wants them to know.

So God states the sun and moon are created lights to give light to the earth. So whatever man states that does not line up with God's creation descriptions is not true.

So man states the moon reflects the sun's light

God states He created two great light and that when Jesus returns the moon will not give its light.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,922,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
-
God/Jesus did not accept man's testimony about who Jesus is.

Many didn't accept Jesus for empirical reasons, and so wanted to see signs (evidence).

Jesus blistered them with this statement ...

Matthew 12:39a But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign;

And it's no different today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Which has nothing to do with the nature of the Moon.
-​

...Sure it does, God created the moon and stated it was a created light to give light to the earth. That is what God wants man to know about the moon.

...But men of science and more than likely "unbelieving men of science" came up with the idea that the moon is lit by the sun and which causes the moon to have phases and reflect light to the earth. Because of the movement of the moon and the movement of the sun, earth, etc...

...Now in describing in The Bible the moon. God could have easily stated how He created the moon to work as a created light. How He ordered to light to function in phases, how the moon produces its own light. etc.. But God did not, just like how God did not go into detail of how Jesus was able to walk on water. People are just given the account that Jesus walked on water. So you may believe it or not.

...So it really boils down to a person either believes God's testimony about His (God's) creation or a person believes mans testimony about God's creation.
...But now it has even traveled further away from being a creation by God. To a mystery beginning, that is not even defined as a creation but an un-caused beginning that has a un-caused process of evolution. that brought about what science calls the universe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟154,161.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...Sure it does, God created the moon and stated it was a created light to give light to the earth.
Genesis was not written by God. Its a mythological drama or possibly a vision written by a bronze-age human author. You may notice that God is described in the 3rd person, i.e. the author is not God and it is not even presented as a dictation or similar.

Also, the point of Genesis is theological, not scientific. And here lies its inspiration and timelessness.

Last edited:
Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0

T.i.m.o.t.h.y.

Mar 7, 2024
Indiana
✟12,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can delete the post by hitting delete at the bottom of your post.
The mess I made was when I'd been working on a reply with intent to post it.. but then while editing I decided not to post it and deleted it.
But then I went on to a different thread where I did post a reply.. but the previous thread where I aborted the post by deleting it, was included with the reply I actually posted: dif thread, dif reply.. like train cars still attached but no people in them.

I thought that if I could get into the editing part and delete the extras off from my one intended post reply then that would correct the problem. But after I'd accidentally hit the "quote all" button, nothing in my window seemed to change but when I checked some postings from others their post number had changed from for instance #521 to #0.7390 or something like that.

At other previous times I noticed the same problem but had managed to keep previous aborted postings from attaching to an actual posting. It's just that this time I thought I'd disconnected the extra train cars as it were.. but then realized too late that I hadn't after all.

An additional problem is that other times when I used the edit button it's duration was about 3 seconds or less then it refused to post my edit of a reply.

My method of completely eliminating an unwanted attachment is hit and miss as I try to work with the system that is being used on this forum.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟154,417.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Genesis was not written by God. Its a mythological drama written by a bronze-age human author. You may notice that God is described in the 3rd person, i.e. the author is not God and it is not even presented as a dictation or similar.

Also, the point of Genesis is theological, not scientific.
Genesis was written as, taken to be a
descriotion of real events.
Which is more like science than theology.

Falsely so- called real, but, thought to be.

Still is in some dark corners.

Upvote 0