Money - root of all evil?

What is the correct Biblical view on wealth?

• Material prosperity is a blessing from God - a covenant right for all Christians

• As Christians, we should give all that we have to the poor and live in holy poverty

• Material possessions are held in trust from the Lord, to be used as He directs

• If you are poor and a Christian, you must be either sinning or lacking in faith

• As Christians, we should own nothing, but have all things in common

• Wealth is a snare from the devil

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TruelightUK

Tilter at religious windmills
(And yes I do know I've misquoted the Scripture!)

Over the years there have been many differing views in various different churches about the right attitude of Christians to material things, from extreme asceticism to the 'name it and claim it' prosperity gospel. What would you see as the 'correct', Biblical stance on this one?

Anthony

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
the options from the poll should be combined, we all know that being Christinas means taking up the cross of Christ. Many Christians are hardly rich, yet God has promised to provide for our needs, sufficient for us only.
Money is "the root of evil" as Jesus said, when we see it greater than the Lord our God.
And if we cared for others as Jesus did, we should be willing to part with our money and help the poor, but not in the sense that we give everything and go out and live on the streets.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Me and my church certainly believes that God prospers and wants us to be well off.

Our church just bought a huge development (comprising restaurants) on a stretch of beach as an investment. IOW words, we own the place! and are making money from the world ie rent money from the tenants paid to us (i think) and the land appreciates. as far as we are concerned, we are now seeing the end-time transfer of wealth from the world to Christians. GLORY!

-------------
Made poor at the cross, that we might be made rich!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"As Christians, we should own nothing, but have all things in common"

Well I'd say this one is closest to the truth in my opinion, but then again, people can be greedy, even christians sometimes. In a perfect world this is it though in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
quote: "Where is all the "wealth" of "covenant right" Christians in poor, Third World countries? "

The blessings of Christ dont automatically fall into your lap the moment you are born again. One must know it (Bible knowledge), believe it and act on it (faith with works) b4 it manifest into the natural. That's what the "name it, claim it" 'move' is all about.

We ARE blessed with all spiritual blessings in Christ. Every blessing starts off spiritually. in terms of wealth, God gives us the wisdom and power to get wealth (that's a spiritual blessing), the Bible says,

He does not drop physical coins and dollar notes into your hands, but gives you the business ideas, favour with clients, puts you at the right place at the right time etc eg like Joseph.

Do we believe that our mansions are in heaven being prepared by Jesus? Do we believe that we will walk on streets of gold? so why do those who are against prosperity still pray "thy will be done on earth AS IT IS in heaven??

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"so why do those who are against prosperity still pray "thy will be done on earth AS IT IS in heaven??
"

Because its about obedience not about wealth. Its about submitting to God, not about lining our pockets. God gives out spiritual blessings to all, not physical ones.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Oh come on, spare me the holy moly religiousity. Is there sickness in heaven? Is there poverty/lack in heaven? Then thy will be done here on earth too.

God doesnt give physical blessings? So is your house a blessing? Your wife? Your car? Arent these tangible things? Of course, it all starts out spiritual, but then they manifest into the physical.

we are blessed to be a blessing to others. we are blessed to finance the kingdom work. of course, it aint abt lining our pockets. anyone who is led by the Holy Spirit wld know that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Then thy will be done here on earth too. "

I think you're taking the verse out of context by taking it too far. There isn't any death in heaven either, but there sure is down here. Sorry, it doesn't work like that ;)

"God doesnt give physical blessings? So is your house a blessing? Your wife? Your car? Arent these tangible things? Of course, it all starts out spiritual, but then they manifest into the physical. "
No..God told me to obey him and be productive and pay back my debts..so I went and got an education and a job. He gave me perservance to do that and the wisdome and intellect to learn. He did not just give me a car. He said, work for it. So I did. Sorry, God is not a meal-ticket. Go read about John the baptist, being one of the great christians of this time..and learn how he had NO worldly wealth at all...the guy work animal skins...or about Paul who made tents to pay his way through things...no stored up material wealth there either..and you're saying these men where not lead by the spirit?

God is not a meal ticket.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
quote: "There isn't any death in heaven either, but there sure is down here. Sorry, it doesn't work like that "

That's why we've got to pray it and it's thy will be done. If it was already like that in heaven, we wldnt have to pray it, wld we? :)

"Go read about John the baptist,.........."

So all Christians shld live like John the Baptist? Leave me out, you go ahead. BTW it's b4 the cross. rightly divide the word pls. But if you dont want to be hypocritical abt it, then you shld give up your job , house, car etc (cos there's just too much prosperity there compared to John) and go live in the desert feeding on wild locust.

quote:"so I went and got an education and a job. He gave me perservance to do that and the wisdome and intellect to learn."

There's your spiritual blessing from him.

quote: "He did not just give me a car."

But you did get favour from him to get a job, perserverance, intellect etc...and you did eventually get a car -- a physical type of blessing. So there's another blessing from him.

Paul? As far as I know, I'm not called to be an Apostle to the Gentiles.

If you'd stop being religious abt it, maybe you might see how much God has prospered you materially. :)

Upvote 0

TruelightUK

Tilter at religious windmills
Originally posted by Andrew
Is there sickness in heaven? Is there poverty/lack in heaven?
And is there money/bank accounts etc. in heaven???

We are blessed to be a blessing to others. we are blessed to finance the kingdom work. of course, it aint abt lining our pockets. anyone who is led by the Holy Spirit wld know that.
Indeed they would - so probably wouldn't accumulate multiple cars, luxury homes, private aircraft, designer clothes, gold and jewels galore while their brothers have neither home, food nor clothing!

And as for your words about
The blessings of Christ dont automatically fall into your lap the moment you are born again. One must know it (Bible knowledge), believe it and act on it (faith with works) b4 it manifest into the natural.
That basically interprets as 'the reason third world Christians are poor is they have no faith'! A very naive and destructive doctrine of the 'name it and claim it' 'move'!?! (Closely allied to 'they're just too lazy to work for a living'). Nothing at all to do with the fact that we prosperous western Christians support a system which loads all the dice against them? I've seen some of the damage this kind of teaching does in nations where the free market economy and abundant riches of America and the West are just not there - you can 'name it and claim it' as much as you like, but the magic doesn't work without the economic wherewithall to oil the wheels! (Tho'somehow the preachers still manage to rake in the offerings!)

Sorry to get drawn into such a heated exchange; I was on the fringes of the 'Faith Movement' myself for quite some time - but even then the financial side of it just dien't line up with the New Testament warnings about the dangers of wealth and the virtue of rejoicing in whatever circumstances God brings. Try reading the Sermon on the Mount, the Epistle of James, and then doing a word study on 'mnoney', 'wealth' etc.! In the Old Testament, Israel was involved in, basically, a material covenant - physical blessings and curses for physical obedience/rebellion - as a foreshadowing of a 'better' covenant, based on 'better' promises, yet to come. In the New Testament sin is not punished by stoning to death, neither is virtue rewarded by wealth and fertility; we are inheriting an eternal spiritual Kingdom, not an earthly, geographical one!

Anthony

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Leave me out, you go ahead. "

*chuckles* okay I will. I just can't believe you think God is a meal ticket...it asounds me.

"maybe you might see how much God has prospered you materially. "

No, God gave me ablitity to do things. Succeed of fail, that's up to me. If I pray really hard, sit and home and I am faithful, I'm going into chapter 11...sorry, God isn't a meal ticket. I don't see historically any of the disciples winning the lottery either.

Let check the bible on this one shall we?

"But those who want to get rich fal into temptation and a snare and many foolsh and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction." What does Paul say just before that? "If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content."

"So there's another blessing from him. "

Lets get something straight. I take pride in God for the gifts he has given me. He gave me those gifts and being faithful to use them I went out and worked for that car. It wasn't it fell into my lap because I was faithful. A good hard days work will prosper you, yes, but that's not what you're advocating.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Louis,

I think the problem here is that you have misconceptions about Christians who believe that God prospers. perhaps due to some bad experience. hence your term "meal ticket".

Granted, there are Christians that think God is a means to becoming rich, and that's all they are after. If you think that of me or my church, then you are way off the mark. God wants us to prosper and he gives us the "power" to get wealth. eg wisdom, health, intellect, favour, etc.

Lets see what the Bible says about God prospering us:

2Co 8:9* For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

3Jo 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Ge 13:2* And Abram was very rich in cattle, in silver, and in gold.

De 8:18 But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.

Ru 2:1* And Naomi had a kinsman of her husband's, a mighty man of wealth, of the family of Elimelech; and his name was Boaz.

1Sa 2:32* And thou shalt see an enemy in my habitation, in all the wealth which God shall give Israel: and there shall not be an old man in thine house for ever.

2Ch 1:12* Wisdom and knowledge is granted unto thee; and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and honour, such as none of the kings have had that have been before thee, neither shall there any after thee have the like.

Ps 49:16 Be not thou afraid when one is made rich, when the glory of his house is increased;

Ps 112:3 Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever.

Ec 5:19 Every man also to whom God hath given riches and wealth, and hath given him power to eat thereof, and to take his portion, and to rejoice in his labour; this is the gift of God.

quote: "*chuckles* okay I will."

make sure you do, and send me a photo!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.