Monetizing Christian Youtube Channel - is that wrong?

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
And what about that time Jesus was angry because people were selling things in the temple?

Ok? I'm not sure that 'youtube' is comparable with 'my father's house'. If you get my drift. I don't think people go to youtube to pray.

Even then, I'm not even sure it was that he was mad at them for selling stuff.

For example, I don't see that he was particularly angry at them selling birds or sheep for sacrificial purposes.

The specific phrase he used was "You turned my father's house into a den of thieves", and the people whose tables he turned over, were the money changers.

What we know is that the religious leaders, and the money changers, were conspiring together to rip off the people. They were using the old testament laws of giving a shekel, to say that people could not give the common currency that they were paid under the Roman empire. So in order for a jew to follow their faith, they had to exchange their denarious for shekels.

Knowing they had no choice but to exchange their money, the priests and money changers worked together to over charge the people. Essentially charging 20 dollars for 1 dollars worth of shekels, if you get my meaning.

So Jesus meant very specifically that they had turned the temple into a den of thieves.

My understanding is that this is what Jesus was angry about, and rightly so.

I don't think that if they were not thieving, that he would have been angry.

Now I'll be first to admit that this is my own take, and that no doubt different churches have their own views. Everyone should follow the views of the Christian community they are in. But I don't think there is any broad prohibition outlined by that one single passage in the Bible.

And certainly this has nothing to do with youtube.

• Agree
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys

There are some Christian youtube channels who are monetized.
Wouldn't it be wrong to monetize your youtube channel if you talk about Jesus?

Also, some channels mix videos like"christian advices" and other videos about "conspiracy theories" etc.

There are even christian youtube channels who have their own library, selling books.

Is this all ok or would all of this be wrong?
It would be difficult for a certain parable to be true if people were not selling oil for the lamps.

Take heed and be a wise virgin.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing wrong with it, its a source of income, all be it small in most cases. Many youtubers tend to say they aren't in it for the money. They do what they do because they enjoy it. So if your enjoying what your doing then doesn't hurt to make some money on it.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,794.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My Christian Web site (youtube.com/rockytopva) is currently at 1,670,496 views. In my channel description I say....
Promoting the Spiritual E/c2... An everlovin' shiner of light in dark places! Please note that I do not make money off these videos, and nothing pertaining to these videos is for sale. Schambach Ministries is kind enough to allow these videos. Please stop by and send some kind of thank you to GIVE — Schambach Foundation ... Thank you! "In Chinese, the word crises is composed of two characters- one representing danger, the other opportunity." -John F. Kennedy "Thinking Big Creates the Excitement Necessary for Accomplishment!" - Zig Ziglar "My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." - The Roman Poet Ovid Techniques in spiritual light (faith, hope, joy, and charity) and energy (warmth, love, motivation), noting the possibilities of success or failure, until we arrive at the final outcome, heaven, which is the ultimate reward. God bless! We love you! And in prayers for all who watch these videos.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,794.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My Christian Web site (youtube.com/rockytopva) is currently at 1,670,496 views. In my channel description I say....
Promoting the Spiritual E/c2... An everlovin' shiner of light in dark places! Please note that I do not make money off these videos, and nothing pertaining to these videos is for sale. Schambach Ministries is kind enough to allow these videos. Please stop by and send some kind of thank you to GIVE — Schambach Foundation ... Thank you! "In Chinese, the word crises is composed of two characters- one representing danger, the other opportunity." -John F. Kennedy "Thinking Big Creates the Excitement Necessary for Accomplishment!" - Zig Ziglar "My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." - The Roman Poet Ovid Techniques in spiritual light (faith, hope, joy, and charity) and energy (warmth, love, motivation), noting the possibilities of success or failure, until we arrive at the final outcome, heaven, which is the ultimate reward. God bless! We love you! And in prayers for all who watch these videos.
I feel it would be wrong for me personally to make money off these videos as someone else put the work into the messages.

Upvote 0