Mom's not doing well :(

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Brothers and sisters, I need to ask for your prayers for my mom. Seeing this is forum where I can share this without worrying about my family members seeing it. My mom needs prayers. She's been drinking steadily (those were the words of my sister via text only about 10 mins ago). She has clinical depression and alcoholic hepatitis. :( Before dad's departing this life, both my sis and I told her she needs to stop drinking, but toward the end of dad's life on earth, we didn't say anything because she was going through enough. well, she's not gotten much better at all. So, hearing that she's drinking vodka steadily really bothers me, but I have no control of the issue. Just that I pray for her nightly. My sister can't do much either. She has to choose. She doesn't do anything around the house - housework, cook, nothing. She reads FB and posts random poster stuff and watches tv all day. :( I have heard people w/depression don't feel like cleaning their homes. They don't feel like doing much of anything. This alcoholic is counteracting her meds, and she's on two: Lexipro and Wellbutrin. With this alcoholic hepatitis, the dr said months and months ago she can't drink at all. She hasn't listened. This hepatitis is the middle stage between the beginnings of some serious health issues with alcohol and the last stage - cirrhosis of the liver. If she doesn't stop drinking, she'll end up in the last stage because she's one stage away from it. This can be reversed - this alcoholic hepatitis, only if she quits drinking all together. I hate to see her doing this to herself. We know she's got to be so depressed over dad's passing, but she can't seem to feel or show or speak much about it because of the anti-depressant meds. Before the meds, she was in bed 24/7, not eating, throwing up, etc. It wasn't good. Anyhow, I don't know what we're supposed to do. I ask you my friends, please PRAY for my mom. She needs them so much. My sis plans to talk to her tonight about missing dad. Maybe if she can get mom to talk about that, it will be a start, and some kind of mini counseling (she needs a counselor/psychiatrist). :(

Lord I pray for Dorothea's Mother. I pray healing Lord for her. I pray for Dorothea's peace also Lord.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Lord, may (I) we worthily pray that Dorothea's mother's faith be increased to overcome her despair & that she will know that her husband awaits her when the Lord determines so. That she will hear her husband praying for her & the prayers of the saints & the Theotokos. Lord, have mercy.:crosseo:

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lord, may (I) we worthily pray that Dorothea's mother's faith be increased to overcome her despair & that she will know that her husband awaits her when the Lord determines so. That she will hear her husband praying for her & the prayers of the saints & the Theotokos. Lord, have mercy.:crosseo:

Amen! Thank you. That was a beautiful and much-needed prayer!

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dot, I don't know how you all feel about a "not yet Orthodox" praying with and for you but I'll send 'em up.
LOL, unwilling to call myself non orthodox :) I am, it's just a matter of time.

I have no problem with non Orthodox praying for my mom and my family. Many of my friends are not Orthodox, but are Christians, too. :) Thank you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rafaela

Dec 28, 2009
Southern US
✟15,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Praying for you and your mom. My mom has a depressive disorder (it just happened; did not appear to be caused by anything). She finally went to a hospital. That did help her, but it was a rough go of it for awhile. Sorry for my earlier post on her coming to help you. I had not read this thread then.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just now reading this having "been away." I'm so so sorry, Dorothy. It's just a tough year for you so far. It's often tough when a parent dies how the other gets depressed and issues ensue like this.

Drinking is a tough addiction to lick. And mixing it with meds is bad ju ju for sure. I'm going to pray for her and for all of you in dealing with her. Interventions and trying to talk to our addicted loved ones is often venemous and hard.

I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with your sweet father's passing, your mom's addiction and issues, and your own health. Hang in there, sweet sister. Prayers from all of us!:crosseo:

Almighty Father, Only-begotten holy Son, and all-holy Life-giving Spirit, look not only upon Dot's mother's addiction with healing and blessings, but also bless Dot and her family in coping with this tough situation. Give Dot's mom the intervention not only of her family, but of the Lord Most High. May the Holy Spirit open Dot's mom's eyes and ears to the wisdom of those who know her and love her most. Heal her addiction, Lord of Life, great Physician, bless and rejuvenate mom and give everyone hope. Help Dot to keep her chin up and to be strong. Heal, bless, forgive, and guide the whole family. In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, Amen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just now reading this having "been away." I'm so so sorry, Dorothy. It's just a tough year for you so far. It's often tough when a parent dies how the other gets depressed and issues ensue like this.

Drinking is a tough addiction to lick. And mixing it with meds is bad ju ju for sure. I'm going to pray for her and for all of you in dealing with her. Interventions and trying to talk to our addicted loved ones is often venemous and hard.

I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with your sweet father's passing, your mom's addiction and issues, and your own health. Hang in there, sweet sister. Prayers from all of us!:crosseo:

Almighty Father, Only-begotten holy Son, and all-holy Life-giving Spirit, look not only upon Dot's mother's addiction with healing and blessings, but also bless Dot and her family in coping with this tough situation. Give Dot's mom the intervention not only of her family, but of the Lord Most High. May the Holy Spirit open Dot's mom's eyes and ears to the wisdom of those who know her and love her most. Heal her addiction, Lord of Life, great Physician, bless and rejuvenate mom and give everyone hope. Help Dot to keep her chin up and to be strong. Heal, bless, forgive, and guide the whole family. In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, Amen
Thank you, Scott. :hug:

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers. I know that my father went through a tough time after my mother died. Your parents were married for a long time, and it has to be so hard to lose your mate after you were together for so many years. I am praying that you will all be able to get through to her about her drinking, especially mixing them with the anti-depressants.

Reactions: Colleen1
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers. I know that my father went through a tough time after my mother died. Your parents were married for a long time, and it has to be so hard to lose your mate after you were together for so many years. I am praying that you will all be able to get through to her about her drinking, especially mixing them with the anti-depressants.
She has her up and down days. Some days are better than others, which is normal considering, like you said, it's only been a few months since dad's passing. But now that my sister and niece are there living with her, I think this will help her. Also, we're planning a trip with mom (my family) back to Greece next May. I think this will be great for her. She was so happy last time we went in 2010.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But now that my sister and niece are there living with her, I think this will help her. Also, we're planning a trip with mom (my family) back to Greece next May. I think this will be great for her. She was so happy last time we went in 2010.

sounds like an awesome plan. Lord have mercy on her!

Upvote 0