North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Revealing clothing is inappropriate, since it does make men more likely to feel lust, and therefore can cause someone else to stumble. As Christians, no one is supposed to put a stumbling block in the path of someone else and make them more likely to sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Freedom&Light

and I will give you rest.
Jul 4, 2004
Longview, TX
✟12,566.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Modesty is a matter of the heart that is manifested in an outward way. I believe that, in America, we have lost a lot of modesty! I go to church and see people wearing shorts and tank tops! Beyond clothes, I have seen things in church that are not modest. For instance, a couple of Sundays ago I went to another church (one I used to attend) and sat 2 rows behind a married couple. When we would stand to sing, she would put her hand on the upper inner part of his thigh, into his groin area!! Have we lost the idea of private acts in a private place?! I really struggled during church that day.

I firmly believe in dressing modestly- no shoulders shown, nothing higher than the knees. Most of what I wear is full length skirts. Coming from a very liberal and feministic mindset, the attitude aspect is adjusting :) (thanks to the work of the Spirit!!).

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get enough skin showing at work here. I don't appreciate it when it's in God's house so I'll state my disapproval right there. Otherwise I have learned to just see it and let it go.

Agreed~whether baptist or catholic I've been quite shocked at what women will wear to worship. And in the baptist church it was deacons' daughters dress that shocked me most.

Upvote 0

JesusFreak78

Reformed Baptist
Feb 11, 2005
Minnesota, USA
✟27,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Why is it always focused on women when it comes to modesty?

Modesty is for both men and women, but I think it's easy to focus on women because when they are wearing something revealing it can sometimes be very revealing.

When I see men wearing their pants down to their knees I find that immodest and should be dealt with too.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is it always focused on women when it comes to modesty?

Modesty is for both men and women, but I think it's easy to focus on women because when they are wearing something revealing it can sometimes be very revealing.

When I see men wearing their pants down to their knees I find that immodest and should be dealt with too.

Yup, tends to be the girls that show the cleavage, show the curves. Guys are usually fairly well dressed or just slobs. I went into my insurance company yesterday and it was like a burlesque show, I mean they were attractive girls behind the counter but there is no reason for all the chest to be exposed except to tease us guys walking in the door:o

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟32,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
1 Timothy 2:9-10:

I have felt personally convicted about summer wardrobes and swimsuits in particular. I host a daily podcast and thought I might discuss this issue on my show. I was curious to hear your thoughts on it. Obviously, our culture fully accepts most swimsuits and other revealing clothing as appropriate. As a Christian, what do you believe?

Modesty is largely culturally determined. For example, are natives wearing loin cloths being immodest? Not really, because its not considered sexual, or provocative in their culture.

So, when it comes to our culture you have to ask, whats the intent? Of course, if we are honest, we'd probably have to admit that a lot of what is commonly 'accepted' in our culture is also deliberately intended to be immodest and to show of the body in a sexual manner.

Upvote 0

MaidforHim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
✟21,263.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know some of the swimsuits people wear are pretty shocking. I think that they should at the very least fully cover the private parts and the backside, but many don't even come close.

I guess a good rule of thumb for the Christian might be... Would you be comfortable wearing it if you were going to be standing before God Himself?

I see a lot of Christian parents who don't even monitor what their kids wear, almost like they expect their teens to be scantily clad if for no other reason than they are teens... I don't get that at all.

I went through a fairly immodest stage when I was younger and I can tell you it was solely because I was not walking with the Lord as I should have been because I was lacking in my Biblical education and did not UNDERSTAND what is was that God expected of me.

I believe that if your children are taught the Bible at home as well as at church they will develop a healthy relationship with God through Christ and they will UNDERSTAND what He expects of them. I have raised 3 children the youngest of which is 17 and all three are respectfully modest and yet still stylish and I can tell you I owe that to Jesus Christ and the relationships they have developed with Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LyraJean

Mar 6, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟8,900.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are lots of things I would feel uncomfortable doing if I was physically in front of God. As in I know that God is omnipresent so he is really with me all the time.

One thing that comes to mind is having sex with my husband. So the whole thing of doing it in front of God I think doesn't really sit well with me.

Again if my husband is okay with what I am wearing then I am okay with it.

Upvote 0

MaidforHim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
✟21,263.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are lots of things I would feel uncomfortable doing if I was physically in front of God. As in I know that God is omnipresent so he is really with me all the time.

One thing that comes to mind is having sex with my husband. So the whole thing of doing it in front of God I think doesn't really sit well with me.

Again if my husband is okay with what I am wearing then I am okay with it.

I see what your saying and the fact that we are as believers always with God is one thing I stressed with my kids about being modest because your right, He is always with us :thumbsup:

But you kind of lost me on the comparison between dressing modestly while out in the public and sex in the context of marriage. Sex in it's proper context (between husband and wife) is a gift from God, all the mechanics of which were designed by God. So I don't really see how doing something which is fine with God and dressing immodestly in public - which is NOT OK with God compares...:confused:

Upvote 0

LyraJean

Mar 6, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟8,900.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see what your saying and the fact that we are as believers always with God is one thing I stressed with my kids about being modest because your right, He is always with us :thumbsup:

But you kind of lost me on the comparison between dressing modestly while out in the public and sex in the context of marriage. Sex in it's proper context (between husband and wife) is a gift from God, all the mechanics of which were designed by God. So I don't really see how doing something which is fine with God and dressing immodestly in public - which is NOT OK with God compares...:confused:

Okay to me, it would feel public. Just like if I had a home swimming pool and would dress in a bikini to swim if my family came over for a swim. Where if it were just me and hubby and we decided to skinny dip when we were alone.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
1 Timothy 2:9-10:

I have felt personally convicted about summer wardrobes and swimsuits in particular. I host a daily podcast and thought I might discuss this issue on my show. I was curious to hear your thoughts on it. Obviously, our culture fully accepts most swimsuits and other revealing clothing as appropriate. As a Christian, what do you believe?
As YHWH says in HIS WORD: "MY people have forgotten how to blush"....

(they are in so much trouble, for so long a time .... separated from YHWH'S WORD)

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed~whether baptist or catholic I've been quite shocked at what women will wear to worship. And in the baptist church it was deacons' daughters dress that shocked me most.

:) almost 7 year old post...cool..thread necromancy is alive and well at CF.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums