Modern secular morality and it's inability to be authoritative

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Can you describe how good/right/true and bad/wrong/false is real to anyone? Or even just goodness and badness?
Good and bad is real to us because our brains, and everything we know about reality tells us this is good/bad. I would caution against assume subjective morals as somehow less than if it were objective. Objective simply means it can be demonstrated as good/bad; that it is regardless of how we feel about the situation

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good and bad is real to us because our brains, and everything we know about reality tells us this is good/bad. I would caution against assume subjective morals as somehow less than if it were objective. Objective simply means it can be demonstrated as good/bad; that it is regardless of how we feel about the situation
Okay, but I would say there is no good and bad apart from beings capable of experiencing it. You can observe beings experiencing good and bad regardless of how you feel.

How else would you prefer goodness and badness be demonstrated to you?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,572.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,572.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Man. That's a very weak position. Between not caring about any of this, but claiming your have demands...
I'll repeat what I said for you. I don't care what people think, unless their position affects me and mine. And then I will demand reasons for their position. What's the alternative? 'Oh, your God says it's wrong? Well OK then...'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neutral Observer

Nov 25, 2022
North America
✟27,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hope you're not going to argue that being robbed is a not bad thing?

But it seems to me that if someone were to take that position, you have absolutely no means by which to refute them, other than to proffer a standard of your own making.

Now you're perfectly free to do that, just as the other person is to reject it.

Which leaves you with a standard of morality that carries no authority beyond that which a person chooses to accede to it.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But it seems to me that if someone were to take that position, you have absolutely no means by which to refute them, other than to proffer a standard of your own making.

Which leaves you with a standard of morality that carries no authority beyond that which a person chooses to accede to it.
Being robbed is only good for one party involved. If it’s good for one, but bad for the other then it can’t really be good. It’s only really good if all involved think it’s good. Logic wins!

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,572.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Quite right. It's my position that it's up to each of us to determine what is right or wrong for us. Not some amorphous 'authority'. If someone said that being robbed wasn't a bad thing for them, then I'd have a great deal of trouble understanding that. But I couldn't possibly say 'You are wrong.' My only response would be bemused incomprehension.

That said, if we're looking for how something can be described as 'bad' as a basis for making moral decisions then an example of what we actually use the term for is needed. I'm quite prepared to keep upping the ante until we get agreement. How about 'watching your wife being beaten to death with a baseball bat'. If they think that's 'bad' then we can say the act is immoral and work from there.

You might have noted I tried that almost from the get go with the op by suggesting that bad was something we didn't like, like getting smacked in the mouth. And I couldn't get any agreement whatsoever up to the point where he literally stated that he couldn't care if he was beaten and died. At which point the prospect for a reasonable discussion headed out the nearest window.

• Haha
Reactions: Chriliman
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Shelob??
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,129,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have no idea what 'the good' is. I hope you're not going to argue that being robbed is a not bad thing? That is, not good.

What is "the Good," you ask? It's just one of those ideas of Plato that no one really believes in these days, but somehow we all still discordantly gripe incessantly about it as if we did, as we balk and twist our way through Axiology (the study of goodness and/or value, and can also include the whole of Ethics of various types).

The modern schtick of "the Good" that's often proferred is a kind of wilted, sickly version fit for modern evolutionary consumption that goes by "Well-Being" or some similar term. And yes, you probably do sense that I am mocking it just a bit, because I am.

Here's the sum rub of it all: If being robbed isn't an aspect of real evil, then to be consistent with our intuitions about both nature AND reality, we should just chalk it up to an "inconvenience" and let it go rather than getting all pouty about it, right?

I mean, if there's no underlying metaphysical backing by which to inject into our little brains some impetus to push the value of 'good' beyond preference or 'evil' beyond inconvenience, we're just gonna have to let it be when we lose some item to theft, whether it's a car or a wife. All of our griping over our psychological or physical pain should just be ignored and muted (kind of like in the former Soviet Russia), and stop griping when life hands us a bucket of lemons.

It'll just be, "You got your wallet stolen? Well, better luck next time, buddy. Maybe don't be so stupid while sitting at the bar..."

Of course, that's not how we feel about it, is it?

Now, that may sound real bad and apathetic, but I asure you [with the tiny bit of sense that I have left] I've read Barbara J. King's book and I believe that, at the minimum on a natural scale, she's right in that we all feel a little moral because, heck, we try to "belong." And that is a naturally "good" thing to try for, at the least. In nature, belonging is about all we really have, even if we barely have that. (Oops! Sorry. That did sound a little Hobbesian, didn't it?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Okay, but I would say there is no good and bad apart from beings capable of experiencing it.
Exactly! And in order to be subjective, it must be regardless of our experiences. There is a tree on my front lawn regardless of whether I or anybody else can experience it. 1+1=2 regardless of whether or not people exist on planet Earth. These things are objective because they don’t require human interpretation/views. Killing, rape, or torture, are only bad if there are people around to judge them as bad.
You can observe beings experiencing good and bad regardless of how you feel.

How else would you prefer goodness and badness be demonstrated to you?
Before I answer that question; is it your opinion that everything good is moral, and everything bad is immoral?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟730,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You are conflating democracy-in-general with the current state of the United States of America. Just because the United States of America does not have a dominant societal religion does not mean that democracy itself is inherently secular.
Isn't that exactly what it means? People vote based on their conscience whether they are Christian or not. Christians can support Christian laws but if they are out voted by secularists they lose.
Your implicit argument is, "Since America doesn't have a dominant religion, therefore no democracy can have a dominant religion." But again, democracy and the United States of America are two different things. The U.S. is a democracy, but it is not the only democracy
It still remains a secular democracy with laws based on majority rule. If the majority rule happens to be a Christian one but it is secular laws that allowed them to have the majority vote. We simply don't base our government on any religious dogma, You are welcome to vote with your Christian conscience but we do not base our laws on any Christian dogma. You are talking about a fantasy government. Should it be Catholic or Baptist?

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exactly! And in order to be subjective, it must be regardless of our experiences.
Did you misspeak here? You meant objective?

There is a tree on my front lawn regardless of whether I or anybody else can experience it.
Actually, you can’t prove the tree is there unless there’s someone around to experience the proof, otherwise it’s an assumption. But I agree, we assume it’s there when we’re not looking, QT be dammed!
1+1=2 regardless of whether or not people exist on planet Earth.
Actually, again, we assume math exists when we’re not comprehending it.
These things are objective because they don’t require human interpretation/views.
To prove they exist, they do require interpretation.
Killing, rape, or torture, are only bad if there are people around to judge them as bad.
And/or people around to experience them, which there are…
Before I answer that question; is it your opinion that everything good is moral, and everything bad is immoral?
I think I’d like you to address my question and the points I’ve brought up so we can hopefully come to an agreed understanding here soon.

Upvote 0

Neutral Observer

Nov 25, 2022
North America
✟27,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being robbed is only good for one party involved. If it’s good for one, but bad for the other then it can’t really be good. It’s only really good if all involved think it’s good. Logic wins!

But by what standard are you defining it as good?

It would seem as though you're defining it as good... because you're defining it as good.

@Bradskii takes the next step and defines bad as those things that I wouldn't want to have happen to myself. But what all of the sudden made me the arbiter of good and bad? So then you have to extend it to... what we collectively wouldn't want to have happen to ourselves. As if consensus determines good and bad. Which I would agree makes for an adequately functional definition of good and bad, and if functional is what your going for, well that's about as good of a definition as any.

Bad is therefore those things that we mutually agree that we wouldn't want to have happen to ourselves. It's morality by consensus.

Which is of course exactly what the OP is arguing against. If mutual consent is the foundation of morality, then one groups standard of morality, i.e. wearing a hijab, is just as valid as any other groups standard of morality.

So we're back to square one. Except for one small detail, whereas subjective morality can't provide a definitive standard, objective morality can't do any better, it only presumes an authority that it can't demonstrate that it has. Thus it's just 'morality by consensus' in disguise.

Which may be comforting to some people, but doesn't do me any good. Is stealing my wallet bad simply because we all agree that it's bad? And shouldn't we hereafter consult the hens before we go stealing all their eggs? Or is there some reason that they don't get a vote? How convenient for us.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟243,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This is probably my last post on this topic. I have given sufficient arguments for the position that democracy is not an inherently secular institution.

Isn't that exactly what it means? People vote based on their conscience whether they are Christian or not. Christians can support Christian laws but if they are out voted by secularists they lose.
What happens if the Christians out-vote the "secularists" and we end up with Christian laws? Is that still a secular state? Or does it magically become a non-democracy?!

It still remains a secular democracy with laws based on majority rule.
Majority rule is not inherently secular. This is the logical fallacy of begging the question.

You have no argument, but it is surely true that your belief is culturally conditioned. For some reason in Western Europe and the United States folks tend to hold the false belief that democracy is inherently secular. It is probably based on a sort of myopia where folks are not able to see beyond their own circumstances. For example, Westerners who know nothing about Asian or Indian countries might assume that all humans eat with a fork and a knife. It makes sense that they would believe this, but the belief is based on an ignorance of other ways of doing things. Similarly, Americans might think that all democracy looks like theirs does, and it makes sense that they would believe this. Still, it is based on ignorance.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Did you misspeak here? You meant objective?
Yes I did mean objective. Good catch; my bad.
Actually, you can’t prove the tree is there unless there’s someone around to experience the proof, otherwise it’s an assumption. But I agree, we assume it’s there when we’re not looking, QT be dammed!
Yes. But I think it is a bit more than just an assumption; it’s existence can be demonstrated.
Actually, again, we assume math exists when we’re not comprehending it.
A little more than an assumption; math DOES work even though there are those who don’t understand it. Math does not require your understanding to work.
To prove they exist, they do require interpretation.
True! But even if there is nobody’s around, it’s still just as much of a reality.
And/or people around to experience them, which there are…
If a lion goes to a female lioness den, kills her cubs and forces a sex act on her getting her pregnant, is that rape and murder? People only judge those actions immoral when people do it to each other.
I think I’d like you to address my question and the points I’ve brought up so we can hopefully come to an agreed understanding here soon.
Fair enough; IMO goodness and badness can only be demonstrated at the subjective level, because what we call good or bad is opinion based, and sometimes the same act can be either one depending on who you ask.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes I did mean objective. Good catch; my bad.

Yes. But I think it is a bit more than just an assumption; it’s existence can be demonstrated.
Right, but so can the existence of good and bad in the experiences of people.
A little more than an assumption; math DOES work even though there are those who don’t understand it. Math does not require your understanding to work.
This recent demonstration about QM may make you question that assumption. Interesting stuff Science | AAAS
True! But even if there is nobody’s around, it’s still just as much of a reality.
Maybe, maybe not given the QM info. Sorry, it really has me thinking…
If a lion goes to a female lioness den, kills her cubs and forces a sex act on her getting her pregnant, is that rape and murder? People only judge those actions immoral when people do it to each other.
Right, and for good reason
Fair enough; IMO goodness and badness can only be demonstrated at the subjective level, because what we call good or bad is opinion based, and sometimes the same act can be either one depending on who you ask.
yea, determining everything that’s actually good and bad isn’t easy, but the subjective view can be objectively analyzed by an outside source.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,572.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What is "the Good," you ask? It's just one of those ideas of Plato that no one really believes in these days...
If you'd have asked if I knew what Plato's 'the good' was then you'd have received the same answer. He was hardly up for defining it himself. From the Republic:

Adeimantus: We'll be satisfied if you discuss the good as you discussed justice, moderation, and the rest.

Socrates: That, my friend, I said, would satisfy me too, but I'm afraid that I won't be up to it and that I'll disgrace myself and look ridiculous by trying.
Here's the sum rub of it all: If being robbed isn't an aspect of real evil, then to be consistent with our intuitions about both nature AND reality, we should just chalk it up to an "inconvenience" and let it go rather than getting all pouty about it, right?
Let's avoid terms like evil. There are too many connotations there that will cloud the water. And as I said upstream, we can crank up the examples until we reach a point where your wife being beaten to death is a tad more than an inconvenience. The terms good and bad are simple enough to be used to describe actions that we term moral or immoral. Leaving my wallet at home is an inconvenience. Having it stolen is bad.
It'll just be, "You got your wallet stolen? Well, better luck next time, buddy. Maybe don't be so stupid while sitting at the bar..."

Of course, that's not how we feel about it, is it?
No. Which is precisely my point. But if you don't mind having it stolen then as far as you are concerned there has been no immorality. That's your call. That's what makes the morality of the action relative.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But by what standard are you defining it as good?
The logical standard that I stated. If all involved agree it’s good based on the facts then it’s actually good. If there’s someone in the mix who thinks it’s bad, let them try to provide the info to back that up. In the end, facts and sound logic/reasoning should convince those of sound mind.

Sorry to snip the rest of your post, I mostly agreed with it I think.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Right, but so can the existence of good and bad in the experiences of people.
Though the experiences can be objectively verified, the label of good/bad, moral/immoral will often vary from one person to another. Example; One person might say purposely giving false information concerning a specific event (lying) is bad, while the other person will say it is good. That’s because the good/bad label is subjectively determined by the person judging the event
This recent demonstration about QM may make you question that assumption. Interesting stuff Science | AAAS

Maybe, maybe not given the QM info. Sorry, it really has me thinking…
My point is; some things are objective, some things are subjective. IMO Morality carries the subjective label.
Right, and for good reason
Yes; because human morality only applies to humans. When something is objective, it applies to everything; humans and animals alike. If I jump off a cliff, the impact upon landing will cause injury; this is the case for animals as well.
yea, determining everything that’s actually good and bad isn’t easy, but the subjective view can be objectively analyzed by an outside source.
Getting 2 outside sources will probably result in them disagreeing with each other.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,572.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Bradskii takes the next step and defines bad as those things that I wouldn't want to have happen to myself. But what all of the sudden made me the arbiter of good and bad?
Good and bad things that happen you you? Obviously you make the decision. And if someone tells us that they had their wallet stolen, I don't feel it necessary to ask him if he thought it was a bad thing. I can assume that because it's a virtual certainty that he would. But...he is the person that will decide. If, for whatever bizarre reason, he thought it was acceptable then that's his call.
Is stealing my wallet bad simply because we all agree that it's bad?
No, it's bad because you think so. What the rest of us think is irrelevant. Hence relative morality.

Upvote 0