Visit site
✟15,925.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey. I'm only 18 right now, and fresh into college. But I have been praying about this for a while, and feel like God is leading me into full time missions. I'm not sure where, or how, just that God wants me out on the missions field. So right now I'm scoping out options. So I'd like to ask for some advice on where to look for jobs in missions, and also what kind of training organizations want in prospective missionaries. What colleges are good for people who want to be missionaries? Right now I'm really looking into transferring to Bethany College of Missions. Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on what kind of missions you want to be involved in, and what kind of background you're coming from. Would you be going with a denominational missions board? Or a non-denominational one? Do you want to be involved in medical missions? Education? Church planting? What kind of work do you want to be doing?

In general one of the better colleges for missions preparation is actually Moody Bible College. Depending on what you see youself doing you might need more than a bachelors though, some jobs will require a masters/seminary degree. For medical missions there is obviously training/certification needed there.

Some of the better organizations? East-West Ministries, TEAM (my personal favorite), CrossWorld, Christar (specializes in mulsim missions), World Vision, World Venture ... these are some of the larger, better non-denominational organizations. But there are still many, many others as well.

I myself have been called to full time missions as well, if you have specfic questions feel free to PM me or to e-mail me at toddinisrael@hotmail.com .

Upvote 0

oddchild

Sep 23, 2003
middle east
Visit site
✟377.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I would suggest getting involved with evangelism where you are at. If you can't do that much, then it will be much harder outside of the US.

These days there are a lot of good tract vendors that can help start conversations. Depending on where you are at, you might run into others while you are out.

One that, I would recommend would be livingwaters.com as they have a nice selection that are real easy to hand out.

Johnny

Upvote 0

GeorgeWW

Nov 5, 2008
Illinois
Visit site
✟15,280.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, hersheykiss and all!

1. I agree with oddchild. Start wherever you are at reaching out to those around you. If you have trouble doing it in a culture and language you are familiar with, doing it in another culture and language will be difficult.

2. Also, make sure you have consistent quiet times with God every single day. You need to be connected to the vine if you plan to bear fruit. (John 15:5)

3. I also suggest a systematic Bible study plan and a systematic Scripture memory program.

4. Find someone who can personally mentor you in your relationship with God.

5. Find someone or several someones who you can mentor. If you are more mature than they are, you can help them as far along as you are

I have written several practical suggestions about all of these here:

http://www.practical-discipleship.com/

6. Finally, pray everyday that God will guide you. You want to be absolutely sure you are exactly where God wants you to be when you arrive on the mission field and times get tough.

Praying for you.

ps. remember that everywhere is your mission field!

Upvote 0

tanya88

Veteran
Aug 7, 2004
Tacoma, Washington
Visit site
✟9,163.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I'm actually going through the same thing right now. I have these desires to be a missionary but I'm not really sure about alot of things. What I did was I searched some websites and resources about missionaries. I'm reading a book right now called Encountering Missionary Life and Work by Tom Steffen. This book has a lot of good information. Also check out this website: http://www.thejourneydeepens.com/askamissionary.asp
Another thing that I'm trying to do is see how God can use me right now in the things that I'm involved in at church. I want to make sure that I give 100% in everything that I am doing right now because I see it as preparation.

Upvote 0