USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Miseducation of America's Elite was posted on another thread. I felt the topic would be of interest to many here. Don't be derailed by the title or $40K sticker tag. There's something bigger at work. The miseducation of today's youth. This is a must-read for future parents and Christians as a whole.

Here's a few standouts:

For most parents, the demonization of capitalism is the least of it. They say that their children tell them they’re afraid to speak up in class. Most of all, they worry that the school’s new plan to become an “anti-racist institution”—unveiled this July, in a 20-page document—is making their kids fixate on race and attach importance to it in ways that strike them as grotesque.

That fear is shared, deeply, by the children. For them, it’s not just the fear of getting a bad grade or getting turned down for a college recommendation, though that fear is potent. It’s the fear of social shaming. “If you publish my name, it would ruin my life. People would attack me for even questioning this ideology. I don’t even want people knowing I’m a capitalist,” a student at the Fieldston School in New York City told me, in a comment echoed by other students I spoke with. (Fieldston declined to comment for this article.) “The kids are scared of other kids,” says one Harvard-Westlake mother.

The colleges want children—customers—that are going to be pre-aligned to certain ideologies that originally came out of those colleges,” says a STEM teacher at one of New York’s prestigious prep schools. “I call it woke-weaning. And that’s the product schools like mine are offering.”

Power in America now comes from speaking woke, a highly complex and ever-evolving language. The Grace Church School in Manhattan, for example, offers a 12-page guide to “inclusive language,” which discourages people from using the word “parents”—“folks” is preferred—or from asking questions like “what religion are you?”

A Harvard-Westlake English teacher welcomes students back after summer with: “I am a queer white womxn of European descent. I use [ she | her ] pronouns but also feel comfortable using [ they | them ] pronouns.” She attached a “self-care letter” quoting Audre Lorde: “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.”

I am in a cult. Well, that’s not exactly right. It’s that the cult is all around me and I am trying to save kids from becoming members.” He sounds like a Scientology defector, but he is a math teacher at one of the most elite high schools in New York City. He is not politically conservative. “I studied critical theory; I saw Derrida speak when I was in college,” he says, “so when this ideology arrived at our school over the past few years, I recognized the language and I knew what it was. But it was in a mutated form.”

This teacher is talking with me because he is alarmed by the toll this ideology is taking on his students. “I started seeing what was happening to the kids. And that’s what I couldn’t take. They are being educated in resentment and fear. It’s extremely dangerous.”

But physics looks different these days. “We don’t call them Newton’s laws anymore,” an upperclassman at the school informs me. “We call them the three fundamental laws of physics. They say we need to ‘decenter whiteness,’ and we need to acknowledge that there’s more than just Newton in physics.”

They replaced all the books with no input or even informing the parents.” The curriculum no longer features classics such as The Scarlet Letter, Little Women, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Lord of the Flies. New books include: Stamped, Dear Martin, Dear Justice, and Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your @ss.

At Fieldston, an elective is offered to high school juniors and seniors called “historicizing whiteness.” At Grace Church School, seniors can take a course called “Allying: Why? Who? and How?” The curriculum includes a ’zine called “Accomplices Not Allies” that declares “the work of an accomplice in anti-colonial struggle is to attack colonial structures & ideas,” alongside a photograph of a burning police car.

One teacher told me that he was asked to teach an antiracist curriculum that included a “pyramid” of white supremacy. At the top was genocide. At the bottom was “two sides to every story.”

“‘Two sides to every story,’” he said. “That was on the racist pyramid.”

Consider this story, from Chapin, the tony all-girls school on the Upper East Side, involving a white girl in the lower grades who came home one day and told her father: “All people with lighter skin don’t like people with darker skin and are mean to them.” He was horrified as she explained that that was what she had been taught by her teachers. “I said to her: that’s not how we feel in this family.”

For high schoolers, the message is more explicit. A Fieldston student says that students are often told “if you are white and male, you are second in line to speak.” This is considered a normal and necessary redistribution of power.

It’s not just Dalton, a school that has committed to being “visibly, vocally and structurally antiracist.” Bain & Company is tweeting about “Womxn’s History Month.” The Cartoon Network is imploring children to “see color.” Coca-Cola employees were recently instructed to “be less white.” You cannot buy or sell the newly problematic Dr. Seuss titles on eBay. This ideology isn’t speaking truth to power. It is the power.

In Burbank, the school district just told middle- and high school teachers to stop teaching To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men. The Sacramento school district is promoting racial segregation by way of “racial affinity groups,” where students can “cultivate racial solidarity and compassion and support each other in sitting with the discomfort, confusion, and numbness that often accompany white racial awakening.” The San Diego school district recently held a training in which white teachers were told that they “spirit murder” black children.

I have a friend in New York who is the mother to a four-year-old. She seems exactly the kind of parent these schools would want to attract: a successful entrepreneur, a feminist, and a diehard Manhattanite. She’d dreamed of sending her daughter to a school like Dalton. One day at home, in the midst of the application process, she was drawing with her daughter, who said offhandedly: “I need to draw in my own skin color.” Skin color, she told her mother, is “really important.” She said that’s what she learned in school.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This stuff has been going on for a long time. I can point to a few notable events in my undergraduate, and graduate school days of 1988-1992 that exactly mirror all the "White Privilege", Political Correct stuff that has gone mainstream on Twitter and the internet today.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I suspect you're opening a can of worms, tho I dost agree

I can handle it. ;)

Truth be told, I anticipated challenges. I'm not surprised. That's why I encouraged my daughter to pursue self-employment and hire a governess. I expected compromises.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just sounds like at the moment "trendy" hysteria to me. If you are rich and don't like the schooling you are paying for , research schools and send your kid else where. Or get involved and get on a school board.

If you're wealthy you have the option of hiring instructors. But the article mentions private and public schools.

Nice to see you posting here. It's been awhile. I hope you're well! :)

• Agree
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
This stuff has been going on for a long time. I can point to a few notable events in my undergraduate, and graduate school days of 1988-1992 that exactly mirror all the "White Privilege", Political Correct stuff that has gone mainstream on Twitter and the internet today.

What were your experiences?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
OK, everybody shove hard to the right!
OK, everybody shove hard to the left!
OK, everybody shove hard to the right!
OK, everybody shove hard to the left!
ALMOST THERE!

Screwtape Proposes a Toast

• Haha
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you're wealthy you have the option of hiring instructors. But the article mentions private and public schools.

I think the concern is it's the Elite who control this kind of stuff & it therefore ends up spreading everywhere.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think the concern is it's the Elite who control this kind of stuff & it therefore ends up spreading everywhere.

That's a fair argument. And we're learning new words too! But I'm not calling myself a womxn. How do you pronounce that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟100,556.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged

It's more of what I've seen in conversations with Q's and peers that went through the IBLP Gothard homeschooling stuff; it's a similar vein of absolute fear. It invokes emotional responses about children and schooling. "oh noes, schools are bad, they are teaching bad stuff and corrupting the youth of America!". I don't think it's particularly true in all schools everywhere, but something is driving the fear in order to push the myth that it is happening everywhere and all children are suffering and dooming America. So in pieces like these, I think it's a little bit of truth mixed with 99% hysteria to drive an idea that is not particularly truthful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Believe it is a good thing for people to seek out truth. There are so many deceptions out in the world when it comes down to it.

My mother taught me manners though, and to respect others. Though growing up and living with her for most of life, turned right around in teenage years into disrespecting her and misusing her for my own gain.

Terrible know it, but nothing new.

You know something that bothers me a lot are things like

You must love yourself, bud. - That is not true. How can someone love themselves if they do not know who they are to God? You are that which is a of creation of God. Ie: Love God first (understanding who you are)- then comes love for others.

Or misusing the words - I love you.

Saying something over and over loses its value.

Or misusing the words - I am sorry.

Remember saying I am sorry, and I love you many times to my mother thinking about it; just so she would think that something would change but never did it ever until now at this point in life.

Never had anyone to teach me communicational skills which are very useful in todays world believe it or not.

How can you be sorry, yet not be suggestive of how to solve the problem with a family member or a friend so you do not no longer make those mistakes, and grow stronger in your relationship and trusting of each other.

There are a lot of things out here that never get taught properly and guess that is why God allows us to experience so many different things in the world.

Thank you for reading.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's more of what I've seen in conversations with Q's and peers that went through the IBLP Gothard homeschooling stuff. It invokes emotional responses about children and schooling. "oh noes, schools are bad, they are teaching bad stuff and corrupting the youth of America!". I don't think it's particularly true in all schools everywhere, but something is driving the fear in order to push the myth that it is happening everywhere and all children are suffering and dooming America.

I'm not familiar with him but I looked him up. I think awareness is good. But ramping up fear to work people into a state is wrong. Homeschooling isn't for everyone. I did it for a time and had someone working with my daughter.

I don't believe all schools are bad either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What were your experiences?

OK I retell some of my stories.

1) Language in Mind, the Summer of 1988, UC Santa Cruz

I took this elective class called "Language and Mind" for Summer school as an elective. It was an interdisciplinary class in Cybernetics, that also referred to psychology, computer programming and probably a few other things.

Things went well in the class. I didn't really run into problems in the class until my oral presentation, and it was only the end of it where their was some fireworks.

I was really interested in the psychology of being a different culture. So I explored every book I could find on it. There are lot of interesting things between cultures:

A) Spatial zones. What your bubble of personal space is, where you don't want people crowding into it.
We Americans have the biggest personal space bubbles compared to I think everybody else.

B) Personal Boundaries regarding you personal space. this covers things like leaving a door open in your bedroom. or office. With Americans a person can be in the threshold of a doorway, but not invaded the space. Which is different than Germans. Where they are kind of absolutist about personal boundaries. e.g. they want you either behind the door, or in the house talking to them. Some kind of fence sitting thing of being in a doorway or just before a doorway talking to a person in the room is going to annoy them.

C) I got into a study that dealt with hand gestures across cultures. Things like the thumbs up sign, OK sign, various "phallic insults" etc. which was kind of fun.

And I should have stopped there... would have got a good evaluation (UC Santa Cruz was a university founded on an evaluation system rather than a traditional grade one). But I did do some reading on language vocabulary between cultures for point D)

And with feminism etc. being an important thing people talked about, and used to Critique things I mentioned a few interesting points I forget what they were except the big one that got me into trouble.
Growing up in my neighborhood their was a family that moved in that had done some lucrative contracting/ construction work in Saudi Arabia and Arab Emirates. But it seemed like the wife while living over their had some traumatic experiences. Like it seemed like she was sexually assaulted but we didn't know the details. But she told stories of living oversees and living in a compound for foreigners and basically being like a prisoner. Like playing tennis, in one of those little skirts, hitting the ball over fence but not being able to retrieve it lest you might be attacked etc.

Anyway that made an impression on me growing up. And it seemed like their was always something wrong with Islam or at least Arab culture. Anyway I read in this book that in Arabic there is not a "word for rape" (You have to use an entire phrase or sentence e.g. "he took her against her will") and I shared this with the class. And mentioned how I thought this kind of showed a problem in that society. And by the way this sort of Critique had been done by Feminism in other areas, Malcom X did something like it when came to looking at the use of light vs dark as literary tropes etc.

lol but boy did I step into it! The instructor said that I should have had some kind of warning statement before covering that last topic. (He basically wanted a "Trigger warning" disclaimer before that term was invented). He mentioned how if I said that kind of thing in this area of campus, where international students and other international studies majors are that I could be "Shouted down!" and face some kind of unrest / riot! But I pointed out, "Isn't that a problem?"

It was kind of funny I was sort of in the middle of a battle of perspectives between two liberal Jewish academics. I had a professor in junior college Don Rosenberg, who really encouraged people to push the envelope when it came to exploring the truth, and discussing things (believing in Dialectics) To not white wash things. But he did encourage people to "play the game" when it came to politics (a little bit of the be wise as serpents and peaceful as doves). Anyway this professor had a big impact on me. He especially took a great interest in his students, he tried to have really frank discussion of topics in class etc.

But this other guy, whose name I forget really was the first generation of people that wanted people to censure themselves. He was interesting he was "Jewish" but I didn't see any sign of him practicing, and had a black Muslim girl friend.

Anyway he tried to "deconstruct" my position. Trying to show how things are not "black and white". On average yeah, women in the Islamic world probably have it a little worse than folks here. But there is lots of variation etc. and recited some of the variations in dress etc. between cultures etc. But by and large his whole aim was to not unnecessarily offend people, while my point was trying to apply a universal standard of decency because the university will make every effort possible to show problems in "Western" culture. But why does it not practice this across the board to make the World a better place? Instead there is this giant elephant in the room that the most misogynistic society is also the most protected because it is "not western" thus it is off limits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
At this point we're past 'corrupting the youth of America' & are reaping it. I say that b/c these views are norms now. It's not 'oh, these are just a few wackos' or 'it's just at schools.' Those days are over. What do you think happens after a few decades of that? The youth grow up.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Anyway I read in this book that in Arabic there is not a "word for rape" and I shared this with the class. And mentioned how I thought this kind of showed a problem in that society.

Wow! I wasn't aware of that. We learned a lot about their culture in a Muslim evangelism class. Our instructor grew up in Egypt and several classmates were raised in Muslim countries. They provided a lot of insight.

The instructor said that I should have had some kind of warning statement before covering that last topic. (He basically wanted a "Trigger warning" disclaimer before that term was invented).

Good grief! I think there's something in the water in CA.

He mentioned how if I said that kind of thing in this area of campus, where international students and other international studies majors are that I could be "Shouted down!" and face some kind of unrest / riot! But I pointed out, "Isn't that a problem?"

LOL You were making sense. Wrong answer! :D

But by and large his whole aim was to not unnecessarily offend people, while my point was trying to apply a universal standard of decency because the university will make every effort possible to show problems in "Western" culture. But why does it not practice this across the board to make the World a better place? Instead there is this giant elephant in the room that the most misogynistic society is also the most protected because it is "not western" thus it is off limits.

Maybe that's the line he had to tow to keep his job...err tenure. ;)

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I got some more stories to tell from my graduate school "Multicultural Counseling" class I took in 1992 when I was in a program to be a "Marriage and Family Child Counselor" aka MFCC in California.

I also remember taking a Asian Literature class that reminded me of stories from the Korean war of Chinese brainwashing. Will post on them when I'm in the next story telling mood. :)

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well I will tell the Chinese brain washing story because that is kind of funny....

I had a bit of a rough time my 1st quarter transferring from UC Santa Cruz from my Community college. The stats class definitely was kicking my butt, I had to drop it before it damaged my record, only to try to take it again with an instructor that would hopefully be better or easier.

But this one Literature class that should have been easy for me, was giving my problems. It was Asian Literature, but they also put it in "The Woman's studies" to give all the Woman's studies folks something to take. I remembered the professor Dr. Dalip Basu who seemed kind of like a cool guy, and I liked to hear him lecture on Indian culture and history for the class.

The problem was with the Teacher's assistant for my class section. I'm not sure, how standard sections are in college. It kind of reminds me of the church cell groups, that are designed to give more hands on time to take questions and discuss topics. I had some kind of Chinese feminist section leader, who also graded my papers for the class which was rough. I was never supper exact in my learning and applying all the right grammar rules, in my writing but most professors don't care not being picky so your OK if the content is good. But this lady was "a grammar Nazi" in the language of Seinfeld. And she wanted every little thing perfect, and deducted points for every little thing off.

Her approach actually reminded me of a saying I would learn letter from a role playing game concerning Chinese poetry, that hand writing was the most important thing much more so than lyrical content. Because that is how she was with out essay writing, except that grammar was the issue rather than hand writing. She really didn't seem to care for original thought at all. It was sort of OK if you could make a thesis etc. But you actually ended up being much better if you basically took her point of view and just modified it a tiny bit for just a small touch of originality and sometimes you really didn't have to do that, recycling her points also could work too.

In some ways, the class did remind me of Chinese brain washing that I learned a few years prior going to school (like in the article below). Where opinions could be gradually shaped by asking for small concessions, then getting people to commit in public etc. and building on it. But being a psych student and especially well versed in Social psychology and persuasion I was about as armed against it as I could be. I adopted her positions; because I wanted to satisfactory pass the class. I realized that I would have rather wrote my papers from my own point of view, but that made things harder as far as the evaluation went so I went with the path of least resistance.

Chinese Brainwashing Tactics of the Korean War | The Masculine Epic

Upvote 0