Mirror on ceiling?

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Chastity is not the same as fidelity. Chastity is not appropriate within a marriage. Fidelity is.

On that note, you are not committing infidelity to be lustful for each other. So I don't see why a mirror or portraits of each other, that only you will see or derive pleasure from, would be sinful.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is having a mirror over the bed a sin?
no
How about having a canvas made of pictures of the couple- him posing in underwear/her in lingerie to decorate the bedroom wall?
I guess it would depend on WHY you made such an artistic choice. Was it for lustful purposes? Then it would be.
Having trouble with defining chastity in marriage and the boundaries of lust in marriage.
"Chastity" means not having sex and applies to singles. Avoiding sex in marriage is not a good thing.
As to "boundaries of lust," you have to define "lust" properly. In the Greek NT, the word [epithumeo] just means a strong desire which can be good or bad. But in English we usually mean it in the negative. And for that, it means a desire for sex that is prohibited to you. Which means that lust would not be allowed at all.

BTW - strong sexual desire for your spouse once you are married is NOT lust.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
People don't "sit around all day and try to come up with sins" - but people who want to live Godly lives and have Godly marriages might be concerned about whether something they are doing is a sin, and would rather err on the side of caution. Those people might seek out the advice of other Christian married couples on a forum intended for discussion and advice among Christian married couples. I'm not sure what benefit there is to mocking those individuals.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sins? No.

Though I will say you have to be prepared for people (including any kids you have) to see those things. It will happen. Whether or not you are OK with that is up to you. I would not want to try to explain either of those to parents or children or the exterminator or the HVAC guy or the ... But that is me.

Reactions: snoochface
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is having a mirror over the bed a sin?

How about having a canvas made of pictures of the couple- him posing in underwear/her in lingerie to decorate the bedroom wall?

Having trouble with defining chastity in marriage and the boundaries of lust in marriage.

When the 10 commandments were translated into Greek, the word for 'covet' was the same word used for 'lust.' The 10 commandments say not to covet your neighbor's wife, etc. It is sinful to covet something that belongs to your neighbor, that is not your own. But we are talking about a husband and wife desiring each other, not coveting. Coveting is something you do with that which is not your own.

If you put a mirror on the ceiling, make sure it is bolted/ hung/etc. really solid so that it doesn't fall on you two.

Notice the contrast in this passage. The sexual relationship with one's own wife is allowed and encouraged, but not one with the neighbor's wife.

Proverbs 5
15 Drink water from your own cistern,
And running water from your own well.
16 Should your fountains be dispersed abroad,
Streams of water in the streets?
17 Let them be only your own,
And not for strangers with you.
18 Let your fountain be blessed,
And rejoice with the wife of your youth.
19 As a loving deer and a graceful doe,
Let her breasts satisfy you at all times;
And always be enraptured with her love.
20 For why should you, my son, be enraptured by an immoral woman,
And be embraced in the arms of a seductress?
(NKJV)

Upvote 0

ex-pat

Building my house...
Jun 30, 2011
Canada
✟16,064.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You're asking this online, so it must be making one of you uncomfortable. If that is the case, then don't do it. Consider, however, how you will feel when others go into your bedroom (guests, babysitters, cleaning lady, kids, decorators, electricians, plumbers, insurance agents, etc.) and see those pictures you mentioned, and your mirror. IF you're both OK with that, fine...but I suspect someone isn't. You may also refer this to your pastor in case your religious affiliation has views on this. Not comfortable referring it to the pastor? Again, if you are feeling uncomfortable about this issue because you believe it to be wrong...then, deep down, you have the answer that works for you.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Years ago, you could buy a waterbed with a mirrored canopy. Not my thing but...whatever floats your boat. If you're into watching while you get your groove on...good for you! If you leave the lights on, good for you! If you get busy on the kitchen counter, please clean the counter before you cook dinner. We just kick the cats out of whatever room we're in...they're way too nosy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nothing sexual you can do, so long as consensual and confined between the two of you, can really be sinful in a marriage.
Eh - maybe and maybe not. Since "inappropriate contentia" (rendered fornication) is prohibited in the NT (Acts 15), and that word was used in the Greek speaking Jewish diaspora to mean ANYTHING that violated OT sexual rules; having sex during menses may fall into that category.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Song of Songs is a very erotic book. The visual pleasure from looking at one another's body and being looked at too is very apparent. Eroticism is a valid and enjoyable component of human sexuality when associated with healthy sex. That does entail a context of intimacy and relationship, not mere voyeurism, which can become a substitute for those greater aspects of sexual union.

'Lust' is far too commonly employed amongst Christians. That is an unfortunate way of thinking which results in far too much unnecessary guilt and confusion instead of mutual enjoyment and pleasure.

John
NZ

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0