Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a question, about these two miracles that are reported in Mark chapter 8, and how Jesus asked the disciples how many loaves and fishes there were, and how many baskets were left over. What is the significance of the baskets left over?
From five amongst five thousand he had twelve baskets
From seven amongst four thousand there were seven.

Then Jesus asked them verse 21 How is it that ye do not understand?

Well I'm racking my brains over that one. Are we suppose to understand something mathematical? Or is it just Jesus was joshing with the disciples that they had a great abundance and it was a miracle...?!

Reactions: Gabriel Anton

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello again Goodbook, good question. Main points >
Little is much when God is in it. Jesus does the impossible. It’s “‘not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the LORD Almighty” (Zechariah 4:6).
These miracles were done in the Old Testament in the life of Elisha in
2 Kings. Elisha told his servant to feed 100 men, although there was not enough food for them.
They had not enough to eat, but leftovers.
Our Lord does more than provide for His people; He gives abundance.

What this all means in the Gospel; Jesus is a prophet greater than Elijah and Elisha, by multiplying 5 barley loaves and feeds 5,000, leaving 12 baskets left over.
Jesus Moses and the manna. 5 is the symbolic number associated with Moses; 5 books of Moses which are called the Torah or Pentateuch. Jesus is transforming the Mosaic Law into something much bigger, greater, and more nourishing. Moses predicted that God would raise up a prophet like himself (Deut 18:18).
In John 6 Jesus reveals He is the bread of life. The miracle of the loaves points backwards to great events in the Old Testament to give us clues as to who Jesus really is. 12 baskets > 12 tribes, 12 patriarchs, and 12 apostles.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What about the seven baskets? Was Jesus pointing toward the twelve baskets of leftover like the shewbread was 12 loaves?
In revelation, he spoke to seven churches, not twelve...

Just wondered what the significance of both numbers is.

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
7 is used in the Bible more than 7 hundred times. Considering words related to 7 like 7 fold or seventy or seven hundred, the count is higher.
First use of the number 7 in the Bible relates to the creation week in Genesis The 7 day is the Sabbath a holy day of rest (Deuteronomy 5:12)
7 is identified with something being finished, complete, or divine perfection. The command for animals to be at least 7 days old before being used for sacrifice (Exodus 22:30), the command for leprous Naaman to bathe in the Jordan River 7 times to effect complete cleansing (2 Kings 5:10), the command for Joshua to march around Jericho for 7 days (and on the 7th day to make seven circuits) and for 7 priests blow 7 trumpets outside the city walls (Joshua 6:3–4). 7 signifies a completion of some kind: a divine mandate is fulfilled.

7 pairs of each clean animal on the ark (Genesis 7:2); 7 stems on the tabernacle’s lampstand (Exodus 25:37); 7 qualities of the Messiah in Isaiah 11:2; 7 signs in John’s Gospel; 7 things the Lord hates in Proverbs 6:16; 7 parables in Matthew 13; and 7 woes in Matthew 23.

70 weeks prophecy in Daniel 9:24 concerns 490 years (7 times 7 times 10). Jeremiah 29:10 predicted the Babylonian Captivity would last for 70 years (7 times 10). According to Leviticus 25:8, the Year of Jubilee was to begin after the passing of every 49th year (7 times 7).

Jesus is the 7-fold “I AM” in the Gospel of John. Jesus told Peter to forgive a wrongdoer 70 times 7 times (Matthew 18:22, NKJV). 7 bowls of the Great Tribulation. (Revelation 16:1) or God’s warning to Israel in Leviticus 26:18.

The book of Revelation, 7 is used more than 50 times. 7 letters to 7 churches, 7 spirits before God’s throne (Revelation 1:4), 7 golden lampstands (1:12), 7 stars in Christ’s right hand (1:16), 7 seals of God’s judgment (5:1), 7 angels with 7 trumpets (8:2), etc. 7 represents completeness or totality: the 7 churches represent the completeness of the body of Christ, the 7 seals on the scroll represent the fulness of God’s punishment of a sinful earth. The Book of Revelation, with all its 7’s, is the capstone of God’s Word to man, the Word is complete (Revelation 22:18).

Not every instance of the number 7 in the Bible carries a deep significance. Sometimes, a 7 is just a 7, and we must be cautious about attaching symbolic meanings to any text, especially when Scripture is not explicit about such meanings. But, there are times when God is communicating the idea of divine completeness, perfection, and wholeness by means of the number 7.

Upvote 0

HeartThaw

Jun 1, 2016
Metaire La
✟8,213.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have a question, about these two miracles that are reported in Mark chapter 8, and how Jesus asked the disciples how many loaves and fishes there were, and how many baskets were left over. What is the significance of the baskets left over?

Well I'm racking my brains over that one. Are we suppose to understand something mathematical? Or is it just Jesus was joshing with the disciples that they had a great abundance and it was a miracle...?!

Mark 8:15 (KJV)
And He charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod.

He's talking about not accepting " the word " of the pharisees and of herod. His Words ( Jesus Christ ) are the bread of life. He was warning the apostles to take heed not to follow those who say they see and were blind, they would lead them to destruction.

John 6:35

35And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gabriel Anton

Exitus Acta Probat Acta Non Verba Deus Vult 11:18
May 19, 2016
Oz
✟89,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Praise be to Jesus Christ, Bread from Heaven.

I think Jesus was warning His Disciples that when they are suffering from lack of necessities of life, to not turn to lesser providers like authoritive church figures or the authoritive government but to trust in Jesus Christ for the provision of your spiritual needs who is the Most Benevolent and Generous Provider of Spiritual Life.

Blessed be the Holy Spirit, Light of the soul. Amen.

Reactions: HeartThaw
Upvote 0

HeartThaw

Jun 1, 2016
Metaire La
✟8,213.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Praise be to Jesus Christ, Bread from Heaven.

I think Jesus was warning His Disciples that when they are suffering from lack of necessities of life, to not turn to lesser providers like authoritive church figures or the authoritive government but to trust in Jesus Christ for the provision of your spiritual needs who is the Most Benevolent and Generous Provider of Spiritual Life.

Blessed be the Holy Spirit, Light of the soul. Amen.
Ah, yes this adds on correctly to what im trying to say, when we are " empty " don't look to anyone but Christ. I agree..

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It is about how God can multiply in purpose and function from very little...this miracle still is happening but on a much greater scale...from Teds $10 and Bassies $5 in the offering plate (and the offerings all over) and Bill and Iesha's tithes (and tithes from all over) we feed millions EVERYDAY and house 100s of 1,000s and provide medical resources clothe the naked and much more (without a single tax dollar we do more than any ten nations)

Did you know that Mother Teresa and her group started over 150 schools and hospitals in India without a single tax dollar? Who needs caesar when you have God?

We have those who will be willing to help, and the little that can be provided by the people, mixed with faith and blessed by God and viola...miracles!!!!

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
First, I think we should acknowledge that Jesus doesn't tell us what the significance of the number of baskets left over are.
So any answer would be a guess in my view.

My guess is that Jesus is simply saying something like when God moves there is more than enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 6, 2017
Australia, New South Wales, Albury
Visit site
✟16,930.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The story of the miracle at the wedding at Cana should be added to these two stories. The series in its entirety consists of six events, with the Eucharist, a seventh, and they correspond to the P creation series of Days. The 'feeding' (read 'Eucharistic') miracles are sadly neglected. I think contemporary sensibilities find them too difficult to deal with:

I have not found one work which dealt in any way with the figures of these miracles. Commentaries which are intended to explain the Gospels line by line suddenly skip over entire verses when they come to the miracles of the multiplication of bread and fish.

A clear example of what may be termed resistance to understanding is provided by the first rate commentary by Father Raymond E. Brown to the gospel of John in the Anchor Bible. He includes a presentation in table form of all details of the two miracles of multiplication, lining up in parallel columns against each other the two miracles according to each of the four gospels. Every single item in the accounts is compared, but the figures in the miracles are left out. The same blind spot is to be found in similar comparisons by other scholars. (See Livio C. Stecchini, A History Of Measures, Part IV: Hebrew Measures, They Have Eyes And Do Not See.)

Upvote 0

Loaves and Fishes

Dec 25, 2020
canada
✟16,843.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seven is God's number of completion. The 7000 year completion is part of this as well.The 7 thousandth year is the millennial 1000 year reign of Christ.8 is perfection as in the 8000 year when Christ delivers the Kingdom to the Father.1 Corinthians 15:24,picturing the creation of new heavens and a new Earth, and the descent from Heaven of the New Jerusalem.Revelation 21

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
1 symbolizes echad.
2 symbolizes the 2 tablets.
3 symbolizes community.
4 symbolizes Gentiles.
5 symbolizes the 5 books of Moses.
6 symbolizes sinful man.
7 symbolizes the 7 Gentile nations or completion.
8 symbolizes a new creation or infinity
10 is 3 + 7, so it symbolizes a complete community.
12 symbolizes the 12 tribes.
40 symbolizes a time of testing.
1,000 is 10 x 10 x 10, so it symbolizes the whole community.
4,000 symbolizes the whole community of Gentiles
5,000 symbolizes the whole community of Israel

So Jesus took the 5 books of Moses and the 2 tablets of Moses, and 5 + 2 is 7, so he took the complete law and gave it to his disciples to feed the 5,000, which the whole community of Israel. When people take and eat the Torah that they received from Jesus, there was 12 baskets left, so there was enough for everyone. So Jesus was playing the giving of the law, where went up on a mountain, and brought the law down to whole community of Israel. Essentially, Jesus was saying that he is the second Moses that they were expecting (Deuteronomy 18:15-19), so when we let him interpret the Mosaic Law and completely trust him with it, then there is enough for all of God's people.

So with the feeding of the 4,000, which is the whole community of Gentiles, Jesus returned to the Decapolis in same region where he had previously healed the demoniac. There were 7 loaves, which are the 7 Gentile nations (Joshua 3:10), so he was saying that he is also enough for the Gentile nations.

Upvote 0