Ministers threatened with jail and thousands in fines for refusing to marry gays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Maybe. That hasn't been determined, but my guess is that there are other Christian business owners who will find themselves in a predicament because of this bullying law
No matter how many times you repeat it, telling all businesses they must abide by the same laws is not bullying.

Upvote 0

YeShallTread

Nov 11, 2012
✟2,637.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm an ordained pastor, Garfield. Why don't you tell me which laws I am specifically exempt from?

As an "ordained pastor" which laws should you specifically follow? The warped laws man has suddenly instigated that are works of darkness or...those of the One you are ordained to serve?

Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.​

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As an "ordained pastor" which laws should you specifically follow? The warped laws man has suddenly instigated that are works of darkness or...those of the One you are ordained to serve?

Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.​

Why do you choose to live in a country with warped laws?

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Being against homosexual marriage =/= against homosexuals. I'm not sure how these are taken as discrimination cases.

What happens if they refused service for a interracial marriage I wonder? Which race would they be discriminating against with this logic?
"A tax on wearing yarmulkes is a tax on Jews."

Guess which Supreme Court Justice said that?

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Hi, Artemis. :wave:

Let's consider the definition of bullying to see if the municipality's actions qualify: Bullying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion ...​
Yep, the municipality is employing the threat of fines and jail time to coerce.
... to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively dominate others.​
Was the municipality intending to intimidate? :scratch:

Given the threat of jail time and thousands of dollars in fines, the answer is an unqualified yes.

Perhaps you disagree, but by definition the municipality's actions appear to be a clear case of bullying.
Is the government also being a bully when they tell you that there will be fines and jail time if you break other laws? Theft? Vandalism? Murder? Speeding?

Are you seriously claiming that if the government says that there will be negative consequences if you break the law, then that is bullying?

Upvote 0

YeShallTread

Nov 11, 2012
✟2,637.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why do you choose to live in a country with warped laws?

I love this country...wouldn't live anywhere else. The laws are warped by liberals. Here we have the ability to vote them out. :clap: Then, perhaps, they would go to live in Cuba? Russia? A number of places would welcome them with open arms. Until then the battle rages of right vs left. As Jesus said:

John 21:6 And He said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.​

Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I love this country...wouldn't live anywhere else. The laws are warped by liberals. Here we have the ability to vote them out. :clap: Then, perhaps, they would go to live in Cuba? Russia? A number of places would welcome them with open arms. Until then the battle rages of right vs left. As Jesus said:

John 21:6 And He said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.​

Better also throw out the conservative judges that ruled for SSM as well.

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"A tax on wearing yarmulkes is a tax on Jews."

Guess which Supreme Court Justice said that?

I don't get how that is even relevant... A yarmulke just identifies a person as Jewish, it is a part of religious garb...

Nobody is proposing to tax someone based on who they sleep in the same bedroom with...

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Incorrect.

The city, according to the legal filings, imposed both fines and incarceration as penalties for non-compliance with its new ordinance.
Has the chapel been fined or has anyone been incarcerated?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
People who run businesses are now assumed to have forfeited their rights, including their right to conscience.

They are being bullied.
Disagree?
Well bully for you.
Not even close. A more correct statement would be;

"People who run businesses are assumed to know that they must follow the law when running their business."

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Could you be so kind as to provide and explain to us the verses in the Bible, and specifically ones directly quoting Jesus, that pertain to marriage?

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

What about the morality of marrying all those strangers without proper pre marital counseling?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I don't get how that is even relevant... A yarmulke just identifies a person as Jewish, it is a part of religious garb...
Just like getting married in a same-sex wedding identifies a person as a homosexual...

Nobody is proposing to tax someone based on who they sleep in the same bedroom with...
:doh:<sigh> Discriminating against the behavior of a certain group, is discriminating against that group.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What about the morality of marrying all those strangers without proper pre marital counseling?

Does not appear to be a concern of theirs. And, by their website, they didn't have a problem marrying those with different religious beliefs either.

Big problem with homosexuals though.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Does not appear to be a concern of theirs. And, by their website, they didn't have a problem marrying those with different religious beliefs either.

Well in that case my sympathy for them is considerably lowered.

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

So they may have married couples from different Christian Denominations, I fail to see the point you're trying to make.

Except those other marriages were between 1 man and 1 woman, in accordance to biblical teachings...

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
So they may have married couples from different Christian Denominations, I fail to see the point you're trying to make.
Probably because you didn't actually read any of the posts that showed what type of marriages the wedding chapel used to host. They included Christian ceremonies as well as those of other religions and civil (non-religious) ceremonies.

Except those other marriages were between 1 man and 1 woman, in accordance to biblical teachings...
Too bad they married those of other religions in spite of Biblical teachings. I bet they even, at some point, married a Christian to someone of another religion!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.