Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Here's an ethical scenario to think about.

Say a company of 500 starts everyone off at $5 per hour, with annual pay raises of $1 per hour. Let's say the government mandates that everyone should get paid at least $7 per hour. Now, all new hires are making just as much money as those who have been loyal to the company for over 2 years. So, to be fair, EVERYONE in the company has to get the same percentage pay raise.

Are you starting to get the picture?

Upvote 0

Baseballfan

Its a Great Day for baseball
Aug 27, 2004
SOCAL but from NY
✟563.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
TheBear said:

Say a company of 500 starts everyone off at $5 per hour, with annual pay raises of $1 per hour. Let's say the government mandates that everyone should get paid at least $7 per hour. Now, all new hires are making just as much money as those who have been loyal to the company for over 2 years. So, to be fair, EVERYONE in the company has to get the same percentage pay raise.

Clearly!!!:thumbsup: Great Post.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
TheBear said:
The minimum wage should be abolished.

I have touched on just a few of the many problems with it. Street Smarts brought up other points I was getting to.

what do you think would happen if we abolished the minimum wage?

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟34,858.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No one here has pointed out the obvious. Workers make comparitely less than they used to. Business are unable to pay more in wages without having to lay people off. We have a catch 22. Business rely upon consumers. The consumers are making less so are able to buy less. Business are less able to pay wages. Consomers are making even less. Round and round we go.

The problem is the vicious cycle. Someone has to figure out how to end it.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
mhatten said:
what do you think would happen if we abolished the minimum wage?
As an employer, my payroll budget supports 100 employees in training, @ $5 per hour. The same budget only supports 71 employees in training, @ $7 per hour - a loss of 29 job trainee positions.

Upvote 0

arnegrim

...still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Jun 2, 2004
California
✟20,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TheBear said:

I experienced this scenario...

Worked hard for 3 years to get my promotion... then the company with the union stepped in a month later and gave EVERYONE the promotion.

Worked hard for my next promotion... my boss (who was being transferred) refused to give it to me... 1 year later, new boss, I got the promotion, but then the LAST level I could have been promoted to was dropped.

A few years later... same company... a number or workers were moved from one 'job classification' to another... most had 20+ years... but thanks to the union again, they had to start over at the bottom in wages. A $15-20/hour pay cut.

Soon after I was downsized.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
MInimum wage is the minimum amount of money a person is worth
with no worthwhile skills.

Minimum wage is the starting wage.

Everytime the MIN wage increases, how many people get raises?
So your wage actually decreases in buying power.
If you make 10/hr. and minimum wage becomes 9/hr, you have just lost buying power.
The job that was good is now mediochre.

Minimum wage and welfare is meant to keep people alive until they can increase their value to the place of employement. To EARN a better living.

If you work for a year most places give you a raise. If you learn a trade you won't have to worry about minimum wage. If you quit job, after job, after job, you will remain in Minimum wage. If you keep the job you can get above Minimum wage.

Reactions: mhess13
Upvote 0

Iron Sun 254

Insane Genius
Aug 23, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Visit site
✟20,473.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Holly3278 said:
Lets go back to the beginning here.

The article says the following:
"The coalition's "housing wage" assumes that a family spends no more than 30 percent of its gross income on rent and utilities, since anything more is generally considered unaffordable by the government"

This conclusion about only 4 counties was based on the assumption that people could find housing for one worker for less than 3,000 a year. It doesn't address those people who are willing to pay more than that for housing.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Billnew said:
Everytime the MIN wage increases, how many people get raises?
To be consistently fair and ethical, every employee working should get the same percentage pay increase...all the way up to the top positions.

Fair is fair. After all, someone did mention 'ethics'.

Upvote 0