Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have this friend on Xbox who is a devout Christian, more than I. She was really sheltered growing up. Anyway, she's been playing Minecraft with me for about 2 years now and today (and I don't know how it took this long) she learned about Minecraft's "Nether" dimension, and now wants to stop playing the game because she believes by playing the game with the Nether existing, she's supporting a Satanic company. I'm trying to explain to her that's she's taking the Nether the wrong way, but I'm at a loss of words on how to do that. Help.

Mikemc

Nov 29, 2015
Western Canada
✟15,112.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Well if she believes there's a Satanic anything, maybe she should end it all. I mean, if Mojang inserting a Hell-like realm into a game makes the whole thing evil, then God inserting a hell-like realm into Earth means that God is really the devil.
* If she plays MC on Xbox, you probably shouldn't be that sarcastic :p

Minecraft is about creating life (farming and breeding) and expanding your creativity using blocks. The Nether is simply another part of that world, and a great place to get Glowstone! Their sand is perfect for 1-way doors too :). I think she's thinking too much into it. Just look at 'Respawning' in general: If a game doesn't use the save-deletion system, it's showing the player that there is no afterlife! Respawning traps the player in an eternal limbo, not even making them wander around as a spirit like in World of Warcraft.

The Nether is simply another place to get resources. It is also scarier and provides a greater challenge for those who have conquered the overworld.

I'd be interested to see what a devout christian builds in Minecraft.

Upvote 0

HarvestTheFields

Great White North
Mar 7, 2016
Indiana
Visit site
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Honestly, I'm a bit worried for her. Does she really want to shelter herself that badly?

If she can't handle imagery in children's video games, how would she respond to certain aspects of the real world? As you said, she was obviously sheltered growing up. In this day and age, perhaps sheltering your children to this extent is just as risky as exposing them to darker concepts.

Reactions: Julie.S
Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2016
California
✟15,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That sounds a lot like scrupulosity OCD. Depending on how well you know her, you might want tell her to look into that. I have it and it sucks, but realizing you have it makes it far easier to manage. Something that helped me tremendously, is remembering the good that has come from the activities I feared.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've met many sheltered people that when they do anything outside of their bubbled they were raised with the freak out and think its evil. Thats the down side to over bubbling and over sheltering your kid. I mean yes, technically we could get into the details that Minecraft lets you craft potions, has witches, has "hell" like realms, has all kinds of stuff. But in the end its a game made for all ages. Sure maybe some parts of it aren't that great but I don't think theres anything wrong with a christian playing it. Well unless they make it into an idol.

Though to be fair I have heard others argue just because you don't have to make the poitions in the game and just because its kid like in nature, that it doesn't mean its ok to play because then we are downplaying it. Such as saying "I don't hate people as bad as Hitler did, therefor I am ok!". I get what they are saying. But you can drive yourself nuts with what you should and shouldn't do. If she doesn't understand what the nether is (or that it is optional), then maybe she shouldn't play games.

• Agree
Reactions: Crescima
Upvote 0

JMiahMan

Jun 30, 2016
Arizona
✟7,611.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I run a Christian Minecraft server ChristianCraft.org, we even have a Bible verse display in chat every 2 minutes. It's a great opportunity to talk to people about Christ and have fun as well. I see resources like this as opportunities to reach out to people and not have a spirit of timidity. However, if she feels convicted about something then maybe it's not for her. I'd leave it at that.

Upvote 0

Paperthinhymn

When life is in discord, praise ye the Lord
Nov 20, 2016
Chatsworth
✟10,452.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well if she believes there's a Satanic anything, maybe she should end it all. I mean, if Mojang inserting a Hell-like realm into a game makes the whole thing evil, then God inserting a hell-like realm into Earth means that God is really the devil.
* If she plays MC on Xbox, you probably shouldn't be that sarcastic :p

Minecraft is about creating life (farming and breeding) and expanding your creativity using blocks. The Nether is simply another part of that world, and a great place to get Glowstone! Their sand is perfect for 1-way doors too :). I think she's thinking too much into it. Just look at 'Respawning' in general: If a game doesn't use the save-deletion system, it's showing the player that there is no afterlife! Respawning traps the player in an eternal limbo, not even making them wander around as a spirit like in World of Warcraft.

The Nether is simply another place to get resources. It is also scarier and provides a greater challenge for those who have conquered the overworld.

I'd be interested to see what a devout christian builds in Minecraft.
You just ruined Minecraft for me. Great.lol jk

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I myself play some video games occasionally, but the ones I play would be considered really cheesy and corny (usually "cutesy" games and those old Atari classics like Pacman and such) to a true, diehard gamer, so I'm not really sure what to say here. I see the name Minecraft pop up from time to time. I know it is a video game, but I am not very familiar with what it's about, so I don't understand what the stink would be about it unless I do some research on it. What I have read of it, I cannot see where there would be much of a problem, even from a Christian perspective. But hey, there were some Christians who were strongly against playing cards and dice - and still are - because of the supposed associations with gambling (and I have also heard stories about tarot, or fortune-telling cards supposedly being predecessors to what we know now as a modern deck of playing cards). But even if that were the case, it seems to me that practically everything has something evil associated with it, and it is up to each individual to practice wisdom to know what to weed out, and follow God's lead on such things. I mean, if we knew the true history behind everything, including many of our everyday items we use in our homes and yards, and focused only on the "bad stuff", we would be sitting still not doing anything. Everyone's convictions are different, as He speaks to us as the individuals we are.

I hope this is clear, as I explained the best I could.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Celestial Warrior

Nov 19, 2016
sutton wv usa
✟8,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our Lord Jesus went to the nether world, so why can't' we. My 10 year old daughter just got the game and she loves it. We are also devout Christians. There is nothing wrong with Minecraft.

I have this friend on Xbox who is a devout Christian, more than I. She was really sheltered growing up. Anyway, she's been playing Minecraft with me for about 2 years now and today (and I don't know how it took this long) she learned about Minecraft's "Nether" dimension, and now wants to stop playing the game because she believes by playing the game with the Nether existing, she's supporting a Satanic company. I'm trying to explain to her that's she's taking the Nether the wrong way, but I'm at a loss of words on how to do that. Help.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
She has a living , good , active conscience.
Encourage her to continue doing what is right,
trusting and relying always on YHWH (God) .

Upvote 0

Celestial Warrior

Nov 19, 2016
sutton wv usa
✟8,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She has a living , good , active conscience.
Encourage her to continue doing what is right,
trusting and relying always on YHWH (God) .

I do agree that her decision is very person and her decision is very personal. In and of itself, there is nothing evil about minecraft, but if she believes it is, then it is a sin to her. The following verses apply to all things, not just food or days to worship on :

Rom 14:1 ¶ Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks

Upvote 0

Celestial Warrior

Nov 19, 2016
sutton wv usa
✟8,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
sorry for my misspelling and repeating of the same thing! I feel stupid now.

I do agree that her decision is very person and her decision is very personal. In and of itself, there is nothing evil about minecraft, but if she believes it is, then it is a sin to her. The following verses apply to all things, not just food or days to worship on :

Rom 14:1 ¶ Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Newbienow

Dec 19, 2016
Ireland
✟9,542.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Please stop playing minecraft. Stop your children playing it. The game is very deceptive, its luring children into the occult. It has almost destroyed our family. Im not going into details, it has been very traumatic & horrifying. My eyes have been opened. This game is dangerous. If any of your children have been playing this game for a while, keep an eye on their behaviour. It wont take long til you notice but you may not have connected the game with it. Please get rid of this game. I signed up for this site because my family are right now trying to get our lives back & ive been researching other peoples experiences & i was horrified to see on a christian forum that people are being fooled. I felt i would of been guilty if i didnt try warn others. Please do your own research.

Upvote 0