Manila
✟34,975.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I do understand the Bible say we need to renew our mind with scripture.

I also understand the Bible say that if our mind full of negative, our actions will be negative.

So my question, if our mind is full of worldy, is it will enter to our hearts? Then actions will be wordly?

OR It will be just mind only, then manifest to actions?

What is also the connection of our mind to the heart to actions?

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I also understand the Bible say that if our mind full of negative, our actions will be negative.

So my question, if our mind is full of worldy, is it will enter to our hearts? Then actions will be wordly?

Renew your mind with the Holy Spirit. When we walk with the Holy Spirit He brings us back to Holiness.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Proverbs 20:27. The spirit of a man is the lamp of the LORD,
searching all the inner depths of his heart.
The Holy Spirit, the promise of the Father that the Son provides, is in our heart to speak to our spirit.
1 Corinthians 2:9-16 is essential here to answer your question. I will leave it to you to let the Spirit speak to you.
But as it is written, Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him.
But God has revealed them to us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knows no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teaches, but which the Holy Spirit teaches; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
But the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness to him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he that is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
No, the opposite. The heart and mind are bound in the spirit. The spirit of man in the heart. The inner man. The mind reflects the storehouse of the heart. The more our heart becomes filled by the Holy Spirit, the less the spirit of the world can influence your thoughts, and your actions.
Ephesians 4:23. And be renewed in the spirit of your mind.
2 Co 10:5. Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
The spirit of the world is enmity with the Spirit of Truth. again, a thorough and prayerful
reading of 1 Co 2:9--16 will continue to reveal this to you. I have read Paul's letters at least 40 times, so I am confident in testifying to you that the more often you apply yourself to inspired writing, the more your spirit will receive, an be inspired. You must receive from above!

Reactions: childeye 2
Upvote 0

robinriley

Jun 15, 2015
Port Orchard, Washington
✟18,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
1 Corinthians 2:9-16 is essential here to answer your question. I will leave it to you to let the Spirit speak to you.
But as it is written, Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him.

(Robin)
Again ... it's not the sentiment or the doctrinal conclusions
that I wish to respond to, but simply the matter of ...
FIRST...knowing what (as near as currently possible), just what God has said (via Paul, in this case).

(Sophie)
Do you think, they think it matters, Robin ...

(Robin)
Trivial I expect, just a small, silly little matter of words ... God's words

(James)
But as it is written, Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
neither have entered into the heart of man,
the things which God has prepared for them that love him

(Paulos)
alla kathOs gegraptai ha ophthalmos ouk eiden kai ous ouk Ekousen kai epi kardian
anthrOpou ouk anebE hahEtoimasen ho theos tois agapOsin auton

(Robin)
Ahhhh ... right from the horse's mouth; thank you Paul

(Paul)
Ya ... that "entered into the heart" ... sort of had me squirming, also.

(Robin)
First the words ... FIRST the words ... why is that so hard to grasp?

(Paulos)
Because it's too simple a rule ... the object, of some, is to quickly get to the conclusion,
the doctrine, so to speak, never mind the little details, it's the greater thought that counts ...

(Robin)
God's little details ... God, surely won't mind if we just quickly skip the "small stuff" ... right?

(Paul)
It's been said that "the devil's in the details" ...
however, I think it better said, that the devil is when the details are overlooked.

The actual words, here, are ... I should know, if anyone, just exactly what I said ...
the actual words, here, are ... "epi kardian" ...

(Robin)
...on/ at {1909 PREP} to~a~heart {2588 N-ASF}....

That is, dear reader, there is nothing, here, which reads ..."entered" ...
And, the actual proposition is ... "on" ... not "in"

That is, the things that God has readied (for the one's loving Him) ...
DO NOT
enter into the human heart ...

These matters that God has readied for us ...
they up-step ...ON... the heart.

(Sophie)
Small potatoes! Does such a minor detail really matter, Robin ...

(Robin)
You tell me, Hon ...

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
(Robin)
Again ... it's not the sentiment or the doctrinal conclusions
that I wish to respond to, but simply the matter of ...
FIRST...knowing what (as near as currently possible), just what God has said (via Paul, in this case).

(Sophie)
Do you think, they think it matters, Robin ...

(Robin)
Trivial I expect, just a small, silly little matter of words ... God's words

(James)
But as it is written, Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
neither have entered into the heart of man,
the things which God has prepared for them that love him

(Paulos)
alla kathOs gegraptai ha ophthalmos ouk eiden kai ous ouk Ekousen kai epi kardian
anthrOpou ouk anebE hahEtoimasen ho theos tois agapOsin auton

(Robin)
Ahhhh ... right from the horse's mouth; thank you Paul

(Paul)
Ya ... that "entered into the heart" ... sort of had me squirming, also.

(Robin)
First the words ... FIRST the words ... why is that so hard to grasp?

(Paulos)
Because it's too simple a rule ... the object, of some, is to quickly get to the conclusion,
the doctrine, so to speak, never mind the little details, it's the greater thought that counts ...

(Robin)
God's little details ... God, surely won't mind if we just quickly skip the "small stuff" ... right?

(Paul)
It's been said that "the devil's in the details" ...
however, I think it better said, that the devil is when the details are overlooked.

The actual words, here, are ... I should know, if anyone, just exactly what I said ...
the actual words, here, are ... "epi kardian" ...

(Robin)
...on/ at {1909 PREP} to~a~heart {2588 N-ASF}....

That is, dear reader, there is nothing, here, which reads ..."entered" ...
And, the actual proposition is ... "on" ... not "in"

DO NOT

(Sophie)
Small potatoes! Does such a minor detail really matter, Robin ...

(Robin)
You tell me, Hon ...
Is all this discussion of verse 9 necessary, when verses 10-16 fully elaborate on the OT scripture that Paul is quoting. Paul clearly makes his point, The mind of Christ is not attained by language study OR doctrinal interpretation. It is received from above from the Holy Spirit. The wisdom from above, not attained by analyzing the Greek used in James, it is received from above. Most assuredly I tell you,
you must be born from above.

Upvote 0

robinriley

Jun 15, 2015
Port Orchard, Washington
✟18,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
(James)
2 Co 10:5. Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

(Robin)
Not a bad translation, what are you using?

Myself, I would prefer to group "accountings, and every highness" together ...
and only then the verb "down-taking" ...kathairountes...down-taking {2507 V-PAP-NPM}

By the way, down-taking is the actual verb, present here in this verse ...
your reading, which has "casting down" would be the word ... katabolEs ...
2602 GK2856 katabolEs (1) of~a~down-casting N-GSF.10

Down-casting is only used once .. in Ephesians 1:4 ...where Paulos tells us that we in the Body of Christ,
were already chosen, by God, before the down-casting of the regulated world ... long time ago, before we physically existed.

Also, the other word ... one of the other misspoken words in the translation you are using is ....
..."into captivity"...
That is, there is NO preposition ..."into" ... and the actual Greek word is a verb, not a noun ...
captivating {0163 V-PAP-NPM}

Just minor details ... or are they so minor ... after all these are suppose to be God's words.

Upvote 0

robinriley

Jun 15, 2015
Port Orchard, Washington
✟18,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is all this discussion of verse 9 necessary, when verses 10-16 fully elaborate on the OT scripture that Paul is quoting. Paul clearly makes his point, The mind of Christ is not attained by language study OR doctrinal interpretation. It is received from above from the Holy Spirit. The wisdom from above, not attained by analyzing the Greek used in James, it is received from above. Most assuredly I tell you,

(Robin)
Is all this discussion ... of what God, Himself actually says to us via Paulos ... really all that important?
You tell me, James ...
If God said it a particular way, do you really think that He expects to be ignored...,have it changed?

(James)
Wisdom is received from above ...

(James)
Wisdom is received from above ... not from what God actully says to us ...
Now, that sounds like subjective doctrine ... that only the initiated are privy to ...
And, am I to conclude that if one doesn't agree, then they are something other than a believer?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
(James)

(Robin)
Not a bad translation, what are you using?

Myself, I would prefer to group "accountings, and every highness" together ...
and only then the verb "down-taking" ...kathairountes...down-taking {2507 V-PAP-NPM}

By the way, down-taking is the actual verb, present here in this verse ...
your reading, which has "casting down" would be the word ... katabolEs ...
2602 GK2856 katabolEs (1) of~a~down-casting N-GSF.10

Down-casting is only used once .. in Ephesians 1:4 ...where Paulos tells us that we in the Body of Christ,
were already chosen, by God, before the down-casting of the regulated world ... long time ago, before we physically existed.

Also, the other word ... one of the other misspoken words in the translation you are using is ....
..."into captivity"...
That is, there is NO preposition ..."into" ... and the actual Greek word is a verb, not a noun ...
captivating {0163 V-PAP-NPM}

Just minor details ... or are they so minor ... after all these are suppose to be God's words.
Wow Robin, you really pick this Greek chicken down to the bone! Isn't the real issue your thought life? Not to intrude, and speaking rhetorically, have you or I been casting down these strongholds?
That is the crux.
Here is one for you to break down for me if you would be so kind:
1 John 5:21.(KJV) And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
In particular, the use of the word dianoia, which is translated both mind and understanding, but I find that comprehension would better express the intent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

The mind is the entry point to the heart. However, thinking alone is not enough. You can memorise the Bible and still not be spiritual. The heart is the real person. That's where the Word must dwell in order to change the individual.

We need the mind renewed so that it does not argue against what is in our heart. For example, we may believe in out heart that we should be givers. Logic says that we don't have enough for our own needs. God's word says that if we give, God will ensure that our needs are met. Which will we follow? Logic or God's word?

The world bombards us with distractions, lies, deceptions, attractions, fear, worry and all kinds of messages to keep us occupied with its affairs. Those concerns can choke the growth of God's word in our lives (parable of the sower). I used to believe that the parable of the sower only applied to the gospel, the initial acceptance or rejection of the gospel. I've come to see that it is an issue every time that the Word is presented to us.

When the heart and the mind are in agreement, it is much easier to follow the direction of God in our heart. It is always a decision of the will.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
(Robin)
Is all this discussion ... of what God, Himself actually says to us via Paulos ... really all that important?
You tell me, James ...
If God said it a particular way, do you really think that He expects to be ignored...,have it changed?

(James)
Wisdom is received from above ...

(James)
Wisdom is received from above ... not from what God actully says to us ...
Now, that sounds like subjective doctrine ... that only the initiated are privy to ...
And, am I to conclude that if one doesn't agree, then they are something other than a believer?
You kind of missed my point. Paul is quoting the word of God in verse 9, he then fully expounds on what God is saying through the prophet.
DO NOT

Okay, let's use that then. Paul is still expounding on your translation in verses 10-16. That is all I am saying. Your finer translation, does it change Paul's exposition that follows in any way? That was my point. Of course, God said He would write His Torah on our heart...must relate to this verse somewhat.
Not written in the letter, Hebrew, Greek or English. But in the spirit, a renewed mind. If I pray and ask for understanding of a passage, I don't care if I am reading you, Eugene Peterson, Or Jerome's Latin version, according to Paul here, I can get an understanding. You are overplaying your hand a bit. You seem to think your comprehension is superior because your Greek is superior. No way!

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It goes both ways. What's in our mind affects what's in our hearts. And what's in our heart affects what's in our mind. And both influence our actions.

• Agree
Upvote 0

robinriley

Jun 15, 2015
Port Orchard, Washington
✟18,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Paul is still expounding on your translation in verses 10-16. That is all I am saying. Your finer translation, does it change Paul's exposition that follows in any way? That was my point...If I pray and ask for an understanding of a passage, I don't care if I am reading ... I can get an understanding.

You are overplaying your hand a bit.
You seem to think your comprehension is superior because your Greek is superior. No way!

(Robin)
Again, I agree with most of what you have to say ...
where I think there's room for improvement,
is in coming to a better reading of the very words.

Dynamic translations and broad-brush readings of scripture usually result in a sufficient understanding (but not always, mind you); however, plucking the chicken,
and getting to the marrow of the bone, are two different things.

And I did not say (or intend to indicate), that my comprehension is so-called superior ...
but what I do say, and fully intend to indicate, is that my reading of the scriptural wording is above par ... and it would be somewhat unwise to just toss it off ... it's my God graced gift; intended to be shared; it may not be awsome doctrine or even easy on the English ear (deaf that that seems to be, most often),
but there are treasures among the rubble ... all I'm doing is brushing the surface debris off, so that others can see the uncovered gleaming ... The verses may then still be misused (often are), but one would, at least, be able to quote them more intelligently.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
(Robin)
Again, I agree with most of what you have to say ...
where I think there's room for improvement,
is in coming to a better reading of the very words.

Dynamic translations and broad-brush readings of scripture usually result in a sufficient understanding (but not always, mind you); however, plucking the chicken,
and getting to the marrow of the bone, are two different things.

And I did not say (or intend to indicate), that my comprehension is so-called superior ...
but what I do say, and fully intend to indicate, is that my reading of the scriptural wording is above par ... and it would be somewhat unwise to just toss it off ... it's my God graced gift; intended to be shared; it may not be awsome doctrine or even easy on the English ear (deaf that that seems to be, most often),
but there are treasures among the rubble ... all I'm doing is brushing the surface debris off, so that others can see the uncovered gleaming ... The verses may then still be misused (often are), but one would, at least, be able to quote them more intelligently.
Hey, that's why I value your input, I am not casual in reading the scriptures, but I also don't believe that I can figure it out. I remain prayerful in all my devotions. I look at the interlinear all the time, what it mostly reveals is the difficulty translators demonstrate with the text!
Get wisdom first! Then with that wisdom get an understanding! Proverb 4:7.
I can receive from you, but your way of presenting is pretty 'lofty'. Condescend to those of us in our low estate. haha. You know full well that the average person on this site is limited in language (even English!) I remain eager and hopeful for your view of
1 John 5:21 That we have been given a dianoia. that we may know the true...
Not interested in awesome doctrine, just sound, inspired Truth, which is not a concept, it is the very Spirit of God!
Thanks again!

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Our life should be a balance between the natural and spiritual. You have to realise God created the natural as well as the spiritual. We just need to be good stewards of God's gifts.

Take for example a mans desire for, a partner. We can step out of God's will and seek after that desire in a lustful way. That kind of worldliness will end up ruining the things that God has planned for us in the future. So we should always condition our mind to remove lust from it. We also should not feed that desire, by watch things on TV, movies, games etc, that feed those desires.

The bible says "guard your heart for out of it flow the issues of life". We need to trust that God's word will lead us toward a place of blessing. We should not wallow in worldly lusts, but renew our thinking, according to God's truth.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

The mind and heart of Christ, together is the sacrificial Holy Spirit powered care for the other other including our begging God for the church and christians to seek maturing.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

“No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of". Luke 6:43-45

Its all about the heart and what's in the heart. You cannot fool or deceive God with good actions if your heart is not sincere. He knows our mind, thoughts, emotions and our feelings. Stay repented.

Here is how Jesus explains how He measures the attitudes of the heart.
Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man `unclean. ' For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. Matthew 15:17-19

• Agree
Upvote 0

robinriley

Jun 15, 2015
Port Orchard, Washington
✟18,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
1 John 5:21 That we have been given a dianoia. that we may know the true...
(James)
1 John 5:21...That we have been given a dianoia ...

(Robin)
I'm not sure I'm following you?

Dianoia (Greek: διάνοια, ratio in Latin) is a term used by Plato for a type of thinking, specifically about mathematical and technical subjects. It is the capacity for, process of, or result of discursive thinking, in contrast with the immediate apprehension that is characteristic of noesis.

Paulos uses This word a total of three times, in Eph 2:3; 4:18; and Col 1:21
1271 GK1379 dianoia (2) unto~a~thorough-comprehension N-DSF.11
1271 GK1379 dianoiOn (1) of~thorough-comprehensions N-GPF.14

2:3* and among with~which [ones], when-once' we all [ones], we were up-transitioned among with~the cravings of~the flesh of~ours; and to~the wills of~the flesh, of~the thorough-comprehensions doing; and, we were children with~a~nature of~aggravation, as also, the remaining [ones].

4:18* [they] having had been darkened unto~the thorough-comprehension; being [ones] having had been away-alienated of~the life of~the God through the incomprehension, the [incomprehension] being among with~same [ones] through the callousness of~the heart of~same [ones];

1:21* And, when-once' being having had been away-alienated, and hostile [ones] with~the thorough-comprehension among with~the works, the wicked [works]; [1:22] yet right-now, to~you He had from-down-another-exchanged,

(James)
1 John 5:21...

(Robin)
My plate is already full, with a focus upon the words of God to us, the Body of Christ, via Paulos ...
So I haven't much interest, anymore, with anything that is not addressed to us by Paulos, our apostle.
But since you ask, ask me twice, here's my reading of this short and succient verse ...1John 5:21 ...

5:21 teknia {5040 N-VPN} phulaxate {5442 V-AAM-2P} heautous {1438 F-2APM}
apo {0575 PREP} tOn {3588 T-GPN} eidOlOn {1497 N-GPN} amEn {0281 HEB}
wee-children
be you keeping
to~yourselves
away/ from
of~the [things]
of~idols
amen/ it be indeed

Idols ....Anything that replaces the real God.
The theme of this epistle: Divine life and fellowship between the children of God and their Father God.

But again, my focus is on that which Paulos has to tell us; and, the closest I can come (for now), is an aside comment that he made in Ephesians 5:5, where he equates an exploiter with an idol-liturgist.
... an~exploiter {4123 N-NSM} ...
... an~idol-liturgist {1496 N-NSM}...

5:1 Therefore, yourselves~be you becoming imitators of~the God, as beloved children; 5:2 and be you about-walking in with~love, accordingly-as also, to~us the Anointed had loved, and over us, Himself to~a~towards-brought-offering and sacrifice He had beside-given unto~the God, for’ a~fragrance of~well-smelling.

5:3* Yet fornication, and every uncleanliness or exploitation, be it named no[t]-yet among with~you, accordingly-as it behooves with~sanctified [ones]. 5:4* And a~shamefulness, and stupid-wording or well-turned-insinuation (the [things] not up-presenting), but rather’ a~well-gracing. 5:5* For to~this [matter], you be knowing, that every fornicator, or uncleansable [one], or exploiter (which~an [exploiter], he be an~idol-liturgist), to~an~allotment he be holding not, in with~the kingdom of~the Anointed and of~God. 5:6 No[t]-yet-a-one to~you be him seducing with~empty words, for through these [matters], on to~the sons of~the unpersuasion the aggravation of~the God, herself~she comes.

• Informative
Upvote 0