• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Mind/body in autopilot

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,934.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes I find it a little disturbing. My conscious mind wants to walk straight but it would weave around "obstacles" I'm not even aware of.

For example, walking in a dimly lit street at night, I was walking straight and intend to so but my body would suddenly turn to the left and right and I'm not in control! :o

Eventually, I am able to resume control, stop and look back and look carefully at the ground to see debris that is faintly visible due to the poor lighting and could have tripped me if I went straight!

It's not just obstacles we're talking about. I was walking in a crowded market, I was walking straight but browsing items to the right when suddenly, I stopped walking out of my control and there was no obstacle ahead. And then looking carefully, I realize there are two people in front of me that are about to exchange items! I did not see them and my mind is preoccupied with browsing merchandise.

It also happens in other activities, other than walking. The irony, is that if I try to take full, 100% conscious control all the time, that's when I start making mistakes.

I am indeed a clumsy person for all my life until this "autopilot" thing in my mind starts taking command in some situations and now I'm no longer clumsy if I allow it to do it's job! :o

It seems like a very good thing for me apparently....I'm just a little worried if it could be the result of an underlying trauma. But the irony is that it's actually really helpful for me as it virtually cured my clumsiness.

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I used to experience things like that to an extent, usually there'd be a beating in my ear drum that sounded like a heart.

I still hear my heart. It tells me I'm still alive.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Sometimes I find it a little disturbing. My conscious mind wants to walk straight but it would weave around "obstacles" I'm not even aware of.

For example, walking in a dimly lit street at night, I was walking straight and intend to so but my body would suddenly turn to the left and right and I'm not in control! :eek:

Eventually, I am able to resume control, stop and look back and look carefully at the ground to see debris that is faintly visible due to the poor lighting and could have tripped me if I went straight!

It's not just obstacles we're talking about. I was walking in a crowded market, I was walking straight but browsing items to the right when suddenly, I stopped walking out of my control and there was no obstacle ahead. And then looking carefully, I realize there are two people in front of me that are about to exchange items! I did not see them and my mind is preoccupied with browsing merchandise.

It also happens in other activities, other than walking. The irony, is that if I try to take full, 100% conscious control all the time, that's when I start making mistakes.

I am indeed a clumsy person for all my life until this "autopilot" thing in my mind starts taking command in some situations and now I'm no longer clumsy if I allow it to do it's job! :eek:

It seems like a very good thing for me apparently....I'm just a little worried if it could be the result of an underlying trauma. But the irony is that it's actually really helpful for me as it virtually cured my clumsiness.

It may be that you are experiencing something completely normal and fairly common. It sounds like a variation on the driving on autopilot thing where we can reach the destination but have no clear recollection of the driving process.

This NewScientist article might help to explain it.
Your autopilot mode is real - now we know how the brain does it
OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,934.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I used to experience things like that to an extent, usually there'd be a beating in my ear drum that sounded like a heart.

Interesting. I don't usually hear anything out of the ordinary when it happens.

In extremely rare occassions I would hear a female voice, but it kinda sounds like a robot.

Its activity or level of intervention is increasing as time goes by. I've had it since reaching my teens. It seemed to have coincided with the same time I became a Christian.

In the last couple of years, it has significantly raised in activity. And exponentially gone more active in the last several weeks.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,934.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It may be that you are experiencing something completely normal and fairly common. It sounds like a variation on the driving on autopilot thing where we can reach the destination but have no clear recollection of the driving process.

Except, I do recall everything. I even feel it.

It literally feels like walking to an invisible forcefield.

And it does more. It also affects my reflexes. Sometimes, I could literally catch things that fall behind me. It seems to work even against objects that are outside of my field of vision.

It seems tied to defense mechanisms. Might be trauma related but don't remember any severely traumatic event in my life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

For example, walking in a dimly lit street at night, I was walking straight and intend to so but my body would suddenly turn to the left and right and I'm not in control! :eek:

I am indeed a clumsy person for all my life until this "autopilot" thing in my mind starts taking command in some situations and now I'm no longer clumsy if I allow it to do it's job! :eek:

You are tapping into your unconscious mind. Be careful with this, as it becomes particularly problematic if it begins to affect your thoughts. Don't surrender in this way for long periods at a time until you are able to control it better.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't think I do. I don't know how to do it in the first place.

In order to limit the phenomenon you can just do activities that require more conscious effort and attention, such as playing a complicated card game. You can also override the unconscious behavior directly, but it takes some effort and it isn't always possible to subdue it completely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,934.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In order to limit the phenomenon you can just do activities that require more conscious effort and attention, such as playing a complicated card game. You can also override the unconscious behavior directly, but it takes some effort and it isn't always possible to subdue it completely.

I work almost 20 hrs a day. That's on the computer. That definitely counts as more conscious activity.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I work almost 20 hrs a day. That's on the computer. That definitely counts as more conscious activity.

Okay. If you are working 20 hour days on a computer it may be a consequence of tiredness and lack of sleep. Sleep is simply the best known way to integrate the conscious and unconscious mind. If you are running on less than 4 hours of sleep on a continual basis and the unconscious mind is manifesting itself in these ways then I would be especially careful. As interesting as these phenomena are, there are dangers too.

• Informative
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0