Milley secretly called Chinese officials out of fear Trump would 'attack' in final days, book claims

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Milley secretly called Chinese officials out of fear Trump would 'attack' in final days, book claims

During the final months of former President Donald Trump's term, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley made two phone calls to Chinese officials in fear that Trump would create conflict with the communist nation, a new book has claimed.

The book, excerpted in the Washington Post, also stated that Milley told Zuocheng that he would warn him in advance should America decide to "attack."

The book also noted that Milley requested senior officers swear an "oath" that his involvement be necessary should Trump give an order to launch nuclear weapons during his final days in office.

Comments?.....Opinions?......
Sounds like a confession to treason and espionage.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is not treason to plan to refuse illegal orders if you think you might get one.

It is not like he was planning to remove Trump.
I’ve been seeing the T word get thrown around a lot today. I’m no expert and could be totally wrong on this and probably am but I think a condition of the treason charge is that it has to be conspiracy with a country we are actively at war with. Idk though and I’m willing to be corrected by anyone who knows better than I do in this field.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I think you are reading too much into it.
Nope, that is the definition of sedition......Soliciting oaths from junior officers to support him if he commits a military coup?.......classic sedition.......

• Agree
Reactions: Oompa Loompa
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That senior military chiefs felt the commander in chief was mentally unstable, and a threat to national security.
What is your point? Are you saying you are in favor of a military coup should a general feel the president is unstable? You know there are legal and constitutional provisions in place for that and it doesn't involve a military overthrow of a president?

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope, that is the definition of sedition......Soliciting oaths from junior officers to support him if he commits a military coup?.......classic sedition.......
No, sedition is now a flag wearing viking dancing on Pelosi's desk.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not treason to plan to refuse illegal orders if you think you might get one.

It is not like he was planning to remove Trump.
Should any president give the order to launch a nuclear strike on anyone, explain how that would be an "illegal order"? What law would be violated by those carrying out the order?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

What military coup?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Based on what info?

It seems you probably have never served in the military but it is entirely proper to refuse to carry out orders that are illegal.....which Milley was certainly able to do. But 'planning' for it......well.......that begins treading in the realm of treason........If this story is accurate hopefully this story will be fully vetted and investigated though with the Dems in charge that part is unlikely.......
I agree that military are required to obey all "lawful orders," but what would be "unlawful" about ordering a nuclear strike? Should airmen in a nuclear silo be able to refuse to turn the key and push the button because they decided the president shouldn't?

To be fair, I think there was a situation in which a drunk Richard Nixon ordered a nuclear strike on Russia and the Secretary of Defense told the generals to stand down until he sobers.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can try to justify it as much as you want but it still boils down to a coup. And, BTW, what actions were taken that would convince Milley that was a risk of Trump starting a war?......maybe you have inside info that we don't?

I am simply describing his motive. The article notes the General had intel indicating the Chinese thought the US may attack them. He established a communication channel with his counterpart to assure them that was not the case.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Should any president give the order to launch a nuclear strike on anyone, explain how that would be an "illegal order"? What law would be violated by those carrying out the order?

That would be a major act of war. Under the Constitution, Congress would have to pass a war declaration first, or at least an authorization to use that scale of military force against the country.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’ve been seeing the T word get thrown around a lot today. I’m no expert and could be totally wrong on this and probably am but I think a condition of the treason charge is that it has to be conspiracy with a country we are actively at war with. Idk though and I’m willing to be corrected by anyone who knows better than I do in this field.
The definition of treason in the US Constitution is intentionally narrow:
"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort."

Enemies, however refers to official enemies, e.g. those declared war on (as you indicated). It certainly isn't a term for a country like China that the US engages in active trade with.

It's exactly why the Rosenbergs were charged with espionage, not treason. Julius Rosenberg gave military secrets to the Russians during the Cold War (who were certainly more of an "enemy", even in the colloquial sense, than China is right now), but because they weren't an official enemy, he wasn't charged with treason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The article notes the General had intel indicating the Chinese thought the US may attack them. He established a communication channel with his counterpart to assure them that was not the case.
Uh huh......and China is also known as the 'Peoples Republic' of China.......you believe that also? You haven't been watching Dr. Strangelove by any chance have you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Congress would have to pass a war declaration first, or at least an authorization to use that scale of military force against the country.
Nope, nuclear strike is within the power of the CinC of the Armed Forces.......no Congress involved........

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Enemies, however refers to official enemies, e.g. those declared war on (as you indicated). It certainly isn't a term for a country like China that the US engages in active trade with.
Maybe you have some official (governmental) definition that the rest of us don't? IIRC the Taliban are considered our 'enemies'.........No CinC is going to wait for Congress to debate a war declaration before responding......otherwise we would all be glowing in the dark......

Upvote 0