Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When will Jesus return? Christ warned that no man knows that day and hour. This has not stopped rash theologians from announcing dates. All have subsequently been embarrassed by events, but it is doubtful anyone ever had more egg on the face than Baptist preacher William Miller.

Miller gained a large following, predicting that Christ would return on this day, October 22, 1844. His theories were not far fetched if one accepted interpretations in vogue through much of church history. The argument goes something like this: The prophet Daniel's eighth chapter speaks of 2,300 days. Many of the greatest scholars of the church (Augustine and Bede for example) took these days to stand for years. 490 years (the seventy "weeks" mentioned in Daniel 9:24) were "cut off" from the 2,300 years, leaving 1810 years. It was assumed that Christ died early in 31 ad. with 3-1/2 years of Daniel's 70th week still to run. Adding those 3-1/2 years to 31 ad. brings us to late 34 ad, at which time the 1810 remaining years supposedly began. 1810 + 34 brings us to 1844. Technical considerations placed the date in October 1844.

Under this interpretation, it seemed possible to match actual historical events with the sequence of events in Daniel chapter eleven. Byzantium, the pope, Egypt, Turkey, France and other countries, supposedly fulfilled various predictions derived from the Bible. The whole argument was developed at length and convinced thousands of people.

As many as 100,000 followers gathered in makeshift temples and on hillsides to "meet the bridegroom." Maxwell Pierson Gaddis attended one of these rallies and reported the result. When midnight came and Christ had not returned, people grew restless. Some walked out. One person said allowance must be made for differences of latitude and longitude between Palestine and the US. At about one o'clock one of the leaders rose and said "I never did fix upon the precise time myself, and I always told my brethren they would get into trouble if they did; but they would not listen to me, but followed other leaders...I believe the most important thing after all is, to be ready..."

Humiliated by what has been called "The Great Disappointment," many Millerites shucked their faith completely. Others became Seventh-Day Adventists. The majority returned to more traditional churches.

http://www.gospelcom.net/chi/DAILYF/2001/10/daily-10-22-2001.shtml

yajyu

Sep 21, 2003
Oregon
Visit site
✟346.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I never try to set a date for HIS return, but i do know that it is going to happen soon, but I am also always reminded that GOD's idea of time is almost always different than mine. In my opinion, however, the potental, for HIS return has never been greater. never before have we had the technology to have the prophecy fulfilled, I mean with the mark of the beast.

Upvote 0

I_are_sceptical

Senior Veteran
May 21, 2004
✟19,271.00
Faith
Other Religion
And what if William Miller was right?

I've heard of a "Messianic" school of thought in Islam which believed in the imminent coming of a new prophet. Someone (in what is now Iran) claimed, on the night of May 22-23, 1844, to be the person that school was expecting. Today the religion he founded has about six million believers worldwide, including hundreds of thousands of Christian converts in Europe and North America.

Upvote 0

montenague

May 18, 2004
Wagga
✟7,658.00
Faith
Catholic
2012 has become a popular date, as this was the date the mayan calander comes to an abrupt halt after precisly (unmatched to this day) predicting and timing many events perfectly, including cosmic events.
but all in all we shouldnt assume to predict what christ told us we cant.
so dont, just be ready.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Swart

ÜberChristian
Mar 22, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I_are_sceptical said:
And what if William Miller was right?

I've heard of a "Messianic" school of thought in Islam which believed in the imminent coming of a new prophet. Someone (in what is now Iran) claimed, on the night of May 22-23, 1844, to be the person that school was expecting. Today the religion he founded has about six million believers worldwide, including hundreds of thousands of Christian converts in Europe and North America.

The Prophecy refers to the "Cleansing of the sanctuary". The sanctuary is cleansed through the shedding of blood. 1844 was also the year that the Prophet Joseph Smith was martyred. So, it could be argued that this is in reference to that event.

Although, LDS do not make this claim. It is interesting.

Upvote 0

oldrooster

Thank You Jerry
Apr 4, 2004
Salt lake City, Utah
✟8,141.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Swart said:
The Prophecy refers to the "Cleansing of the sanctuary". The sanctuary is cleansed through the shedding of blood. 1844 was also the year that the Prophet Joseph Smith was martyred. So, it could be argued that this is in reference to that event.

Although, LDS do not make this claim. It is interesting.
It is wise that they have stayed out of the dating game.....

Upvote 0

Swart

ÜberChristian
Mar 22, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
oldrooster said:

I think the rule of thumb is: anyone who sets a date is wrong.

I respect the SDA's for admitting they were wrong. Unlike the JW's who deny the event occurred.

In Sydney, for many years there was a concrete monstrosity that was erected by the JW's. It was the "stairway to heaven" that Jesus was supposed to walk down on. The JW's all gathered there in 1975, lining the stairway and waiting for something that never happened. Of course, the JW's deny the stairway ever existed. According to my Uncle, Jehovah wasn't happy with them as there was more work to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

adamdavid

Apr 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Visit site
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I respect the SDA's for admitting they were wrong. Unlike the JW's who deny the event occurred.
SDA's didnt really completely admit they were wrong... they made up another odd doctrine and said that they were correct about the date, but wrong about the place the event occured... instead of coming to get His people from the earth, Christ waited until 1844 to enter the "Holy of Holies" in the "Heavenly Sanctuary" and go to the right hand of God, where he is, even now, as we speak, judging Christians to see whether they can go to heaven or not... (kindof an off-key belief, if you ask me... the bible seems to say that Jesus was already at the right hand of God, but ya know.... whatever floats their little sabbath-keeping boats :D )

AdamDavid

Upvote 0

Megachihuahua

Ex-Christian
Jul 30, 2003
World heroin capital(Baltimore), Maryland
Visit site
✟17,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
montenague said:
2012 has become a popular date, as this was the date the mayan calander comes to an abrupt halt after precisly (unmatched to this day) predicting and timing many events perfectly, including cosmic events.
but all in all we shouldnt assume to predict what christ told us we cant.
so dont, just be ready.
2012, december 23rd. Earth ends through fire (or earthquake? I'm sure it was fire) Thought it was the Aztec calender, but I guess i was wrong. Toltecs also had stories about world flood and a guy who survived by living in a big box. Also had stories about people turning into monkeys when the world ended through wind. Or monkeys turning into people? Their calender was better, 20 months 18 days?/18 months 20 days + 5 "useless" days?:confused:

Gibberish intended to make peoples stop implying I'm stupid. I wonder where they get that idea?:|

Upvote 0

Swart

ÜberChristian
Mar 22, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
adamdavid said:
SDA's didnt really completely admit they were wrong... they made up another odd doctrine and said that they were correct about the date, but wrong about the place the event occured... instead of coming to get His people from the earth, Christ waited until 1844 to enter the "Holy of Holies" in the "Heavenly Sanctuary" and go to the right hand of God, where he is, even now, as we speak, judging Christians to see whether they can go to heaven or not... (kindof an off-key belief, if you ask me... the bible seems to say that Jesus was already at the right hand of God, but ya know.... whatever floats their little sabbath-keeping boats :D )

AdamDavid

I believe you're right about the 1844 prediction. They decided that 1844 was correct but about something else, so they came up with a few other dates for Christ's return. The SDA's I spoke to didn't shirk about it. The dates, like 1872(?) were what I think they were specifically referring to.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My sister used to love that show! I remember watching it once when Arnold Schwarzenegger was on it, it ...was....pretty......funny? (tulc suddenly realizes perhaps this isn't about the old TV show, he stops and reads the rest of the thread.) Oh....never mind. :sorry:
tulc( :blush: )

Upvote 0