Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some More Of Mike's Notes:

"Be of good cheer."
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow." (Matthew 6:34)

I have nothing to do with tomorrow, my Father knows all I can bear,
He comforts in sadness and sorrow, and saves me from withering care.

I have nothing to do with tomorrow; why yield then to terror and tears?
Its mercy I never can borrow; ’twill come when the morrow appears.

I have nothing to do with tomorrow, though I know not the grief it may bring;
But the hand that provides for the sparrow o’er me its protection will fling.

His love can dispel all my sadness, so that songs of rejoicing I raise;
His care has turned gloom into gladness, and sighing and sorrow to praise.
(Anon)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Stand Still

Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord – Exod 14:13

These words contain God’s command to the believer when he is reduced to great straits and brought into extraordinary difficulties. He cannot retreat; he cannot go forward; he is shut upon the right hand and on the left. What is he now to do?

The Master’s word to him is "stand still." It will be well for him if, at such times, he listens only to his Master’s word, for other and evil advisers come with their suggestions. Despair whispers, "Lie down and die; give it all up." But God would have us put on a cheerful courage, and even in our worst times, rejoice in His love and faithfulness.

Cowardice says, "Retreat; go back to the worldling’s way of action; you cannot play the Christian’s part; it is too difficult. Relinquish your principles."

But, however much Satan may urge this course upon you, you cannot follow it, if you are a child of God. His Divine fiat has bid thee go from strength to strength, and so thou shalt, and neither death nor hell shall turn thee from thy course. What if for a while thou art called to stand still; yet this is but to renew thy strength for some greater advance in due time.

Precipitancy cries, "Do something; stir yourself; to stand still and wait is sheer idleness." We must be doing something at once—we must do it, so we think—instead of looking to the Lord, who will not only do something, but will do everything.

Presumption boasts, "If the sea be before you, march into it, and expect a miracle." But faith listens neither to Presumption, nor to Despair, nor to Cowardice, nor to Precipitancy, but it hears God say, "Stand still," and immovable as a rock it stands.

"Stand still"—keep the posture of an upright man, ready for action, expecting further orders, cheerfully and patiently awaiting the directing voice; and it will not be long ere God shall say to you, as distinctly as Moses said it to the people of Israel, "Go forward." —Spurgeon
--------------------------------------------------------------

"He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength as our labors increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.

His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again."

- A. Flint (this was my grandma & grandpa's favorite hymn - Mike)

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MORE QUOTATIONS FROM MIKE:

No fear. Trust and rest...

"God is in every tomorrow,
Therefore I live for today,
Certain of finding at sunrise,
Guidance and strength for the way;
Power for each moment of weakness,
Hope for each moment of pain,
Comfort for every sorrow,
Sunshine and joy after rain."
-
from a source
*************************************************************​
No chance hath brought this ill to me;
’Tis God’s own hand, so let it be,
He seeth what I cannot see.
There is a need-be for each pain
And He one day will make it plain,
That earthly loss is heavenly gain.

Like as a piece of tapestry
Viewed from the back appears to be
Naught but threads tangled hopelessly;
But in the front a picture fair
Rewards the worker for his care,
Proving his skill and patience rare.

Thou art the Workman, I the frame.
Lord, for the glory of Thy Name,
Perfect Thine image on the same.

—Selected

**************************************************************​
The following incident is related by Mrs. Charles Spurgeon, who was a great sufferer for more than a quarter of a century:

"At the close of a dark and gloomy day, I lay resting on my couch as the deeper night drew on; and though all was bright within my cozy room, some of the external darkness seemed to have entered into my soul and obscured its spiritual vision. Vainly I tried to see the Hand which I knew held mine, and guided my fog-enveloped feet along a steep and slippery path of suffering. In sorrow of heart I asked: "’Why does my Lord thus deal with His child? Why does He so often send sharp and bitter pain to visit me? Why does He permit lingering weakness to hinder the sweet service I long to render to His poor servants?’

"These fretful questions were quickly answered, and through a strange language; no interpreter was needed save the conscious whisper of my heart.

"For a while silence reigned in the little room, broken only by the crackling of the oak log burning in the fireplace. Suddenly I heard a sweet, soft sound, a little, clear, musical note, like the tender trill of a robin beneath my window.

"’What can it be? surely no bird can be singing out there at this time of the year and night.’

"Again came the faint, plaintive notes, so sweet, so melodious, yet mysterious enough to provoke our wonder. My friend exclaimed, "’It comes from the log on the fire!’ The fire was letting loose the imprisoned music from the old oak’s inmost heart!

"Perchance he had garnered up this song in the days when all was well with him, when birds twittered merrily on his branches, and the soft sunlight flecked his tender leaves with gold. But he had grown old since then, and hardened; ring after ring of knotty growth had sealed up the long-forgotten melody, until the fierce tongues of the flames came to consume his callousness, and the vehement heart of the fire wrung from him at once a song and a sacrifice. ’Ah,’ thought I, ’when the fire of affliction draws songs of praise from us, then indeed we are purified, and our God is glorified!’

"Perhaps some of us are like this old oak log, cold, hard, insensible; we should give forth no melodious sounds, were it not for the fire which kindles around us, and releases notes of trust in Him, and cheerful compliance with His will.

"’As I mused the fire burned,’ and my soul found sweet comfort in the parable so strangely set forth before me.

"Singing in the fire! Yes, God helping us, if that is the only way to get harmony out of these hard apathetic hearts, let the furnace be heated seven times hotter than before."
**************************************************************​

2 Corinthians 5:17 (KJV)
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A FEW MORE OF MIKE'S BLESSINGS

I am enjoying reading a book right now called "The battle plan for prayer". What an amazing opportunity we have in our freedom to petition the God of the universe on behalf of our needs and the needs of our loved ones! I am more and more convinced that prayer is not about us telling God what we would like Him to do for us but our hearts being brought into conformity with His marvelous plan.

Selected Thoughts

On a day in the autumn, I saw a prairie eagle mortally wounded by a rifle shot. His eye still gleamed like a circle of light. Then he slowly turned his head, and gave one more searching and longing look at the sky. He had often swept those starry spaces with his wonderful wings. The beautiful sky was the home of his heart. It was the eagle’s domain. A thousand times he had exploited there his splendid strength. In those far away heights he had played with the lightning, and raced with the winds, and now, so far away from home, the eagle lay dying, done to the death, because for once he forgot and flew too low. The soul is that eagle. This is not its home. It must not lose the skyward look. We must keep faith, we must keep hope, we must keep courage, we must keep Christ. We would better creep away from the battlefield at once if we are not going to be brave. There is no time for the soul to stampede. Keep the skyward look, my soul; keep the skyward look!

"Keep looking up—
The waves that roar around thy feet,
Jehovah-Jireh will defeat
When looking up.

"Keep looking up—
Though darkness seems to wrap thy soul;
The Light of Light shall fill thy soul
When looking up.

"Keep looking up—
When worn, distracted with the fight;
Your Captain gives you conquering might
When you look up."

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MIKE ENJOYED THESE THOUGHTS

Are you encompassed with needs at this very moment, and almost overwhelmed with difficulties, trials, and emergencies? These are all divinely provided vessels for the Holy Spirit to fill, and if you but rightly understood their meaning, they would become opportunities for receiving new blessings and deliverances which you can get in no other way.
Bring these vessels to God. Hold them steadily before Him in faith and prayer. Keep still, and stop your own restless working until He begins to work. Do nothing that He does not Himself command you to do. Give Him a chance to work, and He will surely do so; and the very trials that threatened to overcome you with discouragement and disaster, will become God’s opportunity for the revelation of His grace and glory in your life, as you have never known Him before. "Bring them (all needs) to me." —A. B. Simpson

"My God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus" (Phil. 4:19).
What a source—"God!" What a supply—"His riches in glory!" What a channel—"Christ Jesus!" It is your sweet privilege to place all your need over against His riches, and lose sight of the former in the presence of the latter. His exhaustless treasury is thrown open to you, in all the love of His heart; go and draw upon it, in the artless simplicity of faith, and you will never have occasion to look to a creature-stream, or lean on a creature-prop. —C. H. M.

"MY CUP RUNNETH OVER"
There is always something over,
When we trust our gracious Lord;
Every cup He fills o’erfloweth,
His great rivers all are broad.
Nothing narrow, nothing stinted,
Ever issues from His store;
To His own He gives full measure,
Running over, evermore.

When we, from the Father’s hand,
Take our portion with thanksgiving,
Praising for the path He planned.
Satisfaction, full and deepening,
Fills the soul, and lights the eye,
When the heart has trusted Jesus
All its need to satisfy.

When we tell of all His love;
Unplumbed depths still lie beneath us,
Unsealed heights rise far above:
Human lips can never utter
All His wondrous tenderness,
We can only praise and wonder,
And His name forever bless.
—Margaret E. Barber

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would venture to say we don't have to be in such extreme condition as brother Mike to depend on God, but his plight has proved bearable and strengthening with such poems and shared ministries. There is also such a nice counsel on the web site for January at biblecounsel.net, which is encouraging.
We surely need to be reminded of God's love and care for those "whose mind is stayed on Thee" (Isa. 26:3). Let us look up always!

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It has been a long while since I have shared some of Mike's meditations on our God. He has now been moved to an excellent and licensed nursing private home near to where we live in Washington State. It is limited to only six patients, and he is getting excellent care by this Christian family who operates the home. Our family can visit him weekly or more, and the saints in our Christian assembly spend time with him often. He can attend most of the Assembly meetings on Lord's Day each week with transportation in a special van provided. He remains bright and clear, though still unable to move anything but his head. He can operate his chair fairly well with a stick in his mouth, which also allows him to push buttons on his chair and cell phone (amazing equipment provided in this age). His wheelchair is equipped to allow him to speak his whispering voice in an amplifier. He continues praise and blessings to all who meet him. Here is one of his messages sent in the past that I have obtained:

Finding Jesus In The Storm
I have had lots of quiet time the last few months, and I was enjoying my quiet time with the Lord one morning; and I believe he led me to write a few thoughts down. Many of these thoughts have been bouncing around in my head for some time, but this passage in Mathew 14 just seemed to bring them all together and it felt like they just kind of "poured out". I know I have been under an above average stress load in my condition, and that this may very well just be the effects of a desperate mind trying to find purpose in things I have had trouble reconciling. These are my thoughts on finding Jesus in the storms of life. The disciples in Matthew 14 were in trouble. They were in a boat and the weather was getting very ugly. They had been up all night ---it was still dark, they were alone, and they were tired. Naturally speaking, they were having a very bad night. Then, when they thought things could not get worse they see what they assume is a ghost. They were so terrified that these grown men cried out in fear. Then straightway Jesus spake unto them saying: "be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid" (Mathew 14:27).
I love the fact that the Lord starts with "cheer up". He doesn't say: "I'll fix the problem, then when everything is sunny and calm, cheer up". He says: "be of good cheer" ---immediately, right now, in the storm! He does not insist that we just slap a stupid grin on our face. He follows with a fact ---"it is I". Three little words given here that can take what looks like the very worst imaginable trial in our lives and turn it into an opportunity for us to see his power and experience his love. Can we find Him in our trial? Once we acknowledge Him in the storm, it is then that we can obey his simple command to "be not afraid".

The Lord had a personal work to do in Peter’s heart. There were others in the boat, why was Peter different? What did he learn about the Lord and himself? You have got to appreciate Peter’s attitude. He recognized the significance of the Lord being there in the storm walking on the water and he wanted to be with him. He was still a little afraid and skeptical and asked: "Lord, if it is you, bid me come". He was not willing to sit in the relative comfort of the boat if this really was Jesus. He wanted to be with the Lord. His heart was in the right place but, perhaps, he still wanted to play a part in "choosing" to be with the Lord? The Lord simply says: "come".
Peter stepped out of the boat in his own power. He was going to walk to Jesus on the water. I admire his desire and his purpose, but sometimes the Lord needs for us to experience how far we will make it if we think we can follow him in our own strength.

Dear Peter ---he wanted the right things. I don't read about the other disciples stepping out of the boat. Peter genuinely wanted the right things. The Lord, in love, needed to allow him to recognize his own weakness. Peter later proved that this was not a lesson that he fully learned that early morning. The Lord is so very patient with us; even when we don't learn the lesson the first time, He does not give up. He continues to work with us.

Peter stepped out in faith seemingly ---a great start. He heard the Lords invitation and acted on it. It was beautiful practical faith. It was going great ---he left the safety of the boat and he was walking on water. Very few people have ever done that. All was going great until he took his eyes off of the Lord and looked at his circumstances. It is almost like his mind jerked him back to the reality of the wind and the waves; then he saw the sheer impossibility of the situation from a natural perspective, and he was afraid. Fear is one of Satan's most effective weapons. It undid all of the wonderful choices Peter had made in his own strength. It caused him to look at the absurdity of the situation, make a few quick calculations based on all he knew, and the faith melted ---why? It was Peters faith/reasoning ---he had stepped out in his own faith ---faith that "he" could walk to Jesus. I don't think anyone should question Peters desire, for his intentions were good. I believe the mistake that Peter made was assuming that following Jesus was some kind of formula. If God does this + and I do this + then I can expect = a specific result. It is human reasoning, and God tells us: "My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways" (Isa. 55:8), and yet I always find myself wanting to bring something of my own strength to the equation.

I searched this passage to see if I could find where things got off track for Peter. There is the obvious lesson of "what happens when we take our eyes off of the Lord", as many believers have said; but I believe there is an earlier lesson in this for me. I believe it comes down to one little word in the 28th verse: "if" ---"if it is you, bid me come". Peter was using "common sense". Common sense told him that "if" he could verify that this was indeed the Lord then he could step out. He was putting faith in his own reasoning.

Our faith only has power when it fully comes from and is completely dependant upon the Son of God and his finished work. This means truly dying to self ---"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which I now live, I live by the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me." (Gal. 2:20). This verse tells me "I live by the faith of the Son of God". I cannot even claim that I live by my own faith. He has provided everything needed for a personal relationship with Him and His Father. Peter stepped out in his own faith. It is our nature to want to claim our own faith as it gives us reason for personal pride. We long to play a critical role.

Every good thing in our lives is a gift from God. Every sin that we allow in our lives stems from our lack of faith in the goodness of God and His purposes for us. Peter got his eyes off of the Lord and on to the storm. He started to sink, and he cried out "Lord save me". This was not a cry of confidence or pride. This was the desperate cry of a man who realized his need and complete dependence upon the Lord. The Lord immediately reached out ---He saved Peter. He met him where he was. Why is this passage so valuable to me? It shows me one of the reasons God allows storms in our lives. HE ALLOWS STORMS FOR OUR BLESSING. Those six words are so hard to accept when I am in the bitter winds of the storm but, they are true. Peter questioned if he was really seeing the Lord in that storm. Did Peter's lack of confidence make the reality of the Lord being with him in the storm any less real? No, the Lord was there! I can remove that critical little word
"if" from my vocabulary when I simply accept the fact that Jesus is with me in the storm.

All of the disciples saw God's awesome power that morning, but Peter experienced it. He knew it personally. He was caught up and held by the Lord himself. One day soon, I plan to ask Peter how it felt to be physically held by Jesus in the storm. Perhaps we will compare notes, and most certainly, we will praise God.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After a recent visit with brother, Mike, I am happy to say he continues the same as last reported, though he has been sent for more visits recently from his care home (run by real saints of God) to the hospital to stabilize him. He is still able to come to Church meetings most Lord's Days ---in a special prepared van, and be with the saints for an hour or two; and he requests worship songs at times by whispering to a brother sitting with him. Some days his voice is stronger and speaks over a microphone provided. He said the Covid virus everywhere seems to him a present day warning to mankind that the more severe judgment (Tribulation time) is coming soon, which means that the Church ---"bride of Christ", will soon be called up to Heaven. That is the same feeling of many of us who are "born again" saints as John 3:16. This prophetic age does seem to be drawing to a close. Let us all praise our God for His "so great salvation" in the Lord Jesus, the Christ of God. Mike says he hopes to be faithful in witness in the little while left here.

I think often of brother Mike as having the 'gift of suffering' (as some call it) and in particular part of what we read in 1 Corinthians 12:10 ("through one the gift of miracles"). As I talked with Him, he thanked God for all care and blessings to all dear saints of God everywhere. I love this dear brother!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A writing here found from Mike's collections. As of this date he has been preserved by God ---presumably to show all visitors how God can use even one out of social circulation?? He encourages all who come to visit at times. Mike can be transported to Church services some weeks ---and all present are protected from the virus in services there, as needed. He is weak, but spiritually strong. Here is one of his papers discovered:

From Grandpa's Notebook

A: Although things are not perfect
B: Because of trial or pain
C: Continue in thanksgiving
D: Do not begin to blame
E: Even when the times are hard
F: Fierce winds are bound to blow
G: God is forever able
H: Hold on to what you know
I: Imagine life without His love
J: Joy would cease to be
K: Keep thanking Him for all things
L: Love imparts to thee
M: Move out of "Camp Complaining"
N: No weapon that is known
O: On earth can yield the power
P: Praise can do alone
Q: Quit looking at the future
R: Redeem the time at hand
S: Start every day with worship
T: To thank is a command
U: Until we see Him coming
V: Victorious in the sky
W:We'll run the race with gratitude
X: Exalting God most high
Y: Yes, there will be good times, and yes some will be bad, but
Z: Zion waits in glory....where none are ever sad (i.e where Christ will reign on earth in Millennium time).

Love you all!
--Mike

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought to share for those interested in Mike's condition, that he endures yet; and when I visited recently I found him ever faithful and giving thanks to our God. Since I kind of expect the 'rapture' up of the universal Church to Heaven soon, I suppose this brother will continue helping others on. He seems to be a faithful servant.
All who visit him are inspired by his loving outreach --with a whispering voice yet. As I have often said: he has shown me there is such a thing as a 'ministry of suffering'.
Whatever state and condition, a true "child of God" is in, they might share blessings with others they meet, rather than complain ---would you say?

Upvote 0