Michael Voris update: RealCatholicTV changes it name to ChurchMilitant.TV...

J

JesusIsTheWay33

Maybe, but when those who are listening to you don't speak the language that you're using, it does reduce the incentive to alter the wording of the Mass.
Maybe, but it also increases your ability to get away with it.

You usually have to have both ability and motivation to do something, after all. Speaking in Latin with the only being present who can understand you being God Himself, you're only likely to alter the words if you believe that you need to in an effort to please Him, so you would have to have doctrinal differences with the Church before you would do it.
Again, I disagree.

Actually there were abuses prior to. They did happen. Saying mass in twenty-minutes flat; rushing the prayers was one of them.
You don't say.

No-one says that it was 'perfect' prior the Liturgical Revolution;
Actually, that's precisely what a lot of trads do argue.

but it was better doctrinally and liturgically.
Doctrinally? Perhaps, though Vaggagini suggests that widespread ignorance of doctrine was as common then as it is now, if not moreso. Liturgically? There were fewer guitars and tambourines, perhaps, but in terms of its actual form, the 1962 Missal and prior revisions (going back to 1570) were just as problematic as the 1970 MR.

Upvote 0

Standing_Ultraviolet

Dunkleosteus
Jul 29, 2010
North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
VirgiltheRoman said:
Global: It's mainly the prayers that got me. I read and saw the depth of the prayers years before I ever actually was able to attend the TLM. It was humility and depth of the Tridentine Mass that made me want to go. It is so much more Catholic; explicitly and in depth than the Novus Ordo. That's why waited years to want to go to one; I wasn't disappointed. I got the same reverence and holiness from the Holy Ghost a Byzantine Mass, the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom as well. Truly an encounter with God and a 'meeting of Heaven and Earth'.

I will say, I actually like the text of the Tridentine Mass and don't have any issues with it, but I hope that you can understand my perspective on this, too. For a person who didn't know what they were saying, the wording of the prayers, the liturgy, and everything else would seem completely meaningless. In the Middle Ages, for instance, and in many parts of the Catholic world right up to Vatican II, whether most people would have even understood what they were saying is questionable (in the Middle Ages, highly questionable). The Church doesn't just make decisions for those of us in America, who have the liberty of being able to access a translation of the words of the Mass. Those of us in the U.S. and in other first world nations actually probably make up a minority of the Catholic faithful. The Second Vatican Council was faced with a world where the life of worship of the laity was separated from the liturgy, and they sought to remedy that by making the Mass more available to people in different regions throughout the world.

Maybe, but it also increases your ability to get away with it.

True, although parishes with the highest chance for the more serious instances of liturgical abuse also aren't likely to have the best catechesis. I know that there were problems with the formation of the faith of Catholics prior to the institution of the modern form of the Mass (and I would actually argue that understanding was lower in some ways then than it is now), but areas where the sort of liturgical horror shows that G-com refers to happen are also the type where the priest is most likely to be more liberal theologically. At any rate, yes, you have a point.

Again, I disagree.

To be fair, what I had in mind were different forms of liturgical abuse than what you're probably thinking of. Virgil brought up a few that might have been common prior to the institution of the newer form of the Mass. I was thinking more of intentional alterations to the Mass. The "horror show" types of liturgical abuse that G-Com was talking about usually occur as a result of misunderstanding the nature of the Mass and mixing it with elements from mega-church Protestant worship services.

For Protestants, Sunday worship is centered primarily around the message given by the preacher, and so at some Evangelical mega-churches, it's not uncommon to bring in a certain element of showmanship to help get the message across or draw attention from an audience that might not be tremendously receptive to more traditional forms of preaching. Sometimes this is done more tastefully than at other times, and so it's not always a bad thing in that context. The liturgy, though, is qualitatively different. At the liturgy, the focus should be primarily on the Eucharist and on Christ's presence. As a result, we can't do that and you get events like the "clown Mass" that people bring up when they refer to liturgical abuses.

It's easier for a priest with a malformed understanding of the liturgy to mistake its holy nature now that it's in the vernacular, since the Tridentine Mass was much more clearly separate. That isn't to suggest that anything is wrong with Mass in the vernacular. I actually support the use of the vernacular in Mass. It is to say, though, that there needs to be a better understanding of the nature of the liturgy in Catholicism in a nation where the services most people go to on Sundays look similar externally but are in reality much different.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The text of the Tridentine rite really appeals to me, too. That is what got me interested. It isn't my favourite liturgy, though. The Divine Liturgy is the pinnacle for me.

I don't like it when people claim that the Novus Ordo just cut out a lot of repetition and simplified things. It isn't comparable to the Tridentine rite in any way - it is an entirely new liturgy of its own. It uses the bare-bones of historical liturgical elements that appear in a few different rites, but it really is a different liturgy altogether, devoid of many things the ancients clearly felt important enough to keep in their liturgies for well over a millennia.

I don't idealise the TLM and I don't like the attitude that a lot of the community seems to have embraced. The TLM isn't perfect. It is mainly idealised among people who were born after it was replaced, and only then because of its novelty and the beauty of the prayers. It has its issues.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It's easy to idealise. Especially whenever you have had to defend it for years against others and they call into question your Catholicity over your promotion of it. And you always feel like a lone voice out in the wilderness; at the losing end of a long battle in a very long liturgical, theological, and spiritual Battle with the forces of the Devil and his evil ilk . . . It had its own set of peculiarities and perhaps, some that needed remedying. However, one must return to the TLM and fix the New Liturgical Movement that has went off of its hinges . . .

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
:clap: You came back to our community! It's clear now that you want to be an active member and that your motives are pure....what with all of your posts having been on the very narrow topic of Mr Vorris.

I wonder why they changed their name?

I wonder why so many have come forward and said (as I did) that they like his message but dislike his obvious pride and arrogance, and feelvthat he does more harm than good.

Did you ever notice how much overlap there used to be between Corapi fans and Voris fans? I mean, back when either Corapi or Voris had audiences?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StThomasMore

Christian Democrat
Feb 27, 2011
✟17,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with this commenter...I also like her name, Aimee.

I agree with you, Mark. I watched RCTV for a year or so several years ago, but came to dislike it and quit. It was so negative, Voris a bitter, self-appointed prosecutor, judge, and jury. And the style of the show – calculated to get attention and cause scandal, like reading the tabloids in the supermarket. Even if what he says is true, it is done in a way so lacking in charity as to be a source of scandal in itself.

ChurchMilitant – what a perfect name for a militant, defiant guy like Voris. I’m sure it will just be more of the same, only worse. And I don’t look forward to the day when he bites the dust for good, like so many other Catholic “heroes” of recent fame who got a little too carried away with themselves, their popularity, their power, only to suffer the most humiliating public fall from grace.

And for those who’d like to shut you up, Mark – good grief, Voris makes a living out of publicly criticizing others. Yet no one is supposed to criticize him? Have people learned nothing from the Corapis and Euteneuers of this world, their supporters hotly shouting down everyone else because of what “heroes” for the faith they were? Yet look how they turned out.

The only heroes in my book are the saints – and they didn’t go around publicly criticizing and defying their bishops while trying to squirm around all the rules.

This woman doesn't seem to know much about Corapi it seems or the lives of the saints. Scandal and calumny from unknown 3rd parties is what brought down Corapi. As has done many priests these days.

I wonder if she has even read the sermons from many of the saints. They make Voris look like a kitten in comparison. St. John Chrysostom especially and Robert Bellarmine. And of course Thomas More :). As well as friars like Thomas De Torquemada

Voris sometimes has very valid reasons in his works. Especially regarding the CCHD issue where openly pro-homosexual people were in that council. Things like that it is good to report. Personally I think trying to degrade the reputation of priests and ruining their vocations is much worse scandal and calumny than putting out news regarding the problems in America's Church.

While Voris can be harsh at times, I don't see him causing calumny against former employees or priests or trying to ruin peoples reputations. Orthodox commentators and priests tend to be targets among the liberal crowd. Lambs among the wolves

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Voris, along with Hahn, Akin, Keating, and a few others, definitely helped me to move out of Catholicism, not into it. Corapi was my favorite guy....we all know how he turned out. Al Cresta and a few others have such a Republican Party agenda and I hear so much anti-educator stuff from them all. When Corapi was out, I was out with Catholic radio, too.

I always thought Father Benedict Groeschel was a class act. Father Mitch Pacwa is a good guy also. The World Over Live guy Raymond Arroyo was cool, too. The hardcore, packaged apologists always turned me off. Voris is a good example. Like Catholic Answers, they make Catholicism almost like a product. Groeschel presented it as something powerful, a theological way of life, something deep and spiritually permeating. Corapi made it comprehensible for the typical working joe. He put things into a very crisp, sometimes humorous, but always thought-provoking perspective. I miss him. While I'm not Catholic anymore, I have a lot of respect for them. I hope and pray Father Corapi has repented and is on the path of Christ again.

Voris is like the Catholic equivalent of TBN....

Reactions: Gwendolyn
Upvote 0

StThomasMore

Christian Democrat
Feb 27, 2011
✟17,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Voris, along with Hahn, Akin, Keating, and a few others, definitely helped me to move out of Catholicism, not into it. Corapi was my favorite guy....we all know how he turned out. Al Cresta and a few others have such a Republican Party agenda and I hear so much anti-educator stuff from them all. When Corapi was out, I was out with Catholic radio, too.

I always thought Father Benedict Groeschel was a class act. Father Mitch Pacwa is a good guy also. The World Over Live guy Raymond Arroyo was cool, too. The hardcore, packaged apologists always turned me off. Voris is a good example. Like Catholic Answers, they make Catholicism almost like a product. Groeschel presented it as something powerful, a theological way of life, something deep and spiritually permeating. Corapi made it comprehensible for the typical working joe. He put things into a very crisp, sometimes humorous, but always thought-provoking perspective. I miss him. While I'm not Catholic anymore, I have a lot of respect for them. I hope and pray Father Corapi has repented and is on the path of Christ again.

Voris is like the Catholic equivalent of TBN....

Personally I think we should be worrying about the real divisive 'Catholics', like Kathleen Sebleius, Biden, Pelosi,Susan Collins , and Andre Couomo. The ones who actually cause great moral harm

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That's one thing I didn't like about Corapi, Hahn, Voris, Shea, & 'Catholic Answers': they've turning being apologists into a profit or commercial business. It to me seemed increasingly like a corporate interest rather than the good of souls. That's why I became more and more disinterested with them. And why I don't generally listen to them much anymore these days. They're like Catholic televangelist; chocked full o' gimmickery and the like.

Reactions: Gwendolyn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StThomasMore

Christian Democrat
Feb 27, 2011
✟17,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's one thing I didn't like about Corapi, Hahn, Voris, Shea, & 'Catholic Answers': they've turning being apologists into a profit or commercial business. It to me seemed increasingly like a corporate interest rather than the good of souls. That's why I became more and more disinterested with them. And why I don't generally listen to them much anymore these days. They're like Catholic televangelist; chocked full o' gimmickery and the like.

Maybe EWTN, but Catholic Answers? with a 300k of net assets? Its Revenue is lower than its expenses

Charity Navigator Rating - Catholic Answers

TOTAL REVENUE $5,636,096
EXPENSES Program Expenses $3,806,547
Administrative Expenses $504,678
Fundraising Expenses $1,462,796
TOTAL FUNCTIONAL EXPENSES
$5,774,021
Payments to Affiliates $0 Excess (or Deficit) for the year $-137,925
Net Assets $332,735

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hear that!

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Okay. Still not big on the whole lay Catholic money making business. Why doesn't he have a priest assisting? I mean they are the chief apologists --- that is to say, it is one of the duties of the clergy in spreading the faith . . .

Upvote 0

G-Com

Traditional Catholic
Nov 7, 2008
Trenton, OH
✟17,122.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay. Still not big on the whole lay Catholic money making business.
It costs money to run what is essentially a studio. Plus Michael broke into his retirement account to be able to found St. Michael's Media. Why should he not make a living?

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Do you not think that these ventures could well easily turn into Corapi-style dens of hyprocrisy, vice, money, and pure avarice? To my view, this tendency of gimmicky Catholic televanglism seems to water-down and gimmickise the faith. It's a belief in God; not a product one is trying to sell. It's an encounter with God that one lives, breathes, experiences, lives out, and speaks and loves.

Upvote 0