Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Michael Voris helped me on my path toward joining the Catholic Church. I can’t help but find his recent resignation and his own public scandal to be somewhat painful.

Michael Voris and the work of Church Militant helped me on my path toward joining the Catholic Church. I found their work to be fascinating. Voris seemed to rail against the scandals of the Church with unrivaled indignation. He was rightfully outraged at the mishandled abuse cases and cover-ups. What I did not understand was why he continued to be Catholic.

Protestants who were scandalized by their denominations simply left and sought different churches. Voris stayed Catholic, even in his outrage. That demonstrated to me that the Catholic Faith was different. I came to understand that faithful Catholics are not Catholics because they like being Catholic, or because it’s the easiest choice, or because they like the Vatican. They are Catholic because they believe that to be so is to serve Christ in the best way possible because it is to join the Church that He founded and that the Holy Spirit guides. It is to practice the Christian Faith as it was supposed to be practiced and has been since the Apostolic Age.

Thus, I can’t help but find Voris’s recent resignation and his own public scandal to be somewhat painful. This is despite the fact that his resignation seems appropriate and probably should have happened much earlier, for he was not in a position to lead. Not long after I joined the Church, I stopped watching Church Militant, for it seemed to often get swept up in the very turmoil that will make Voris’s recovery harder—the hunt for the public destruction of others, with disregard for the truth, led by the excitement of the audience, the views, and the increased fame. The aggression shown by Church Militant to people merely accused (and sometimes falsely) of impropriety was sometimes…scandalous.

Continued below.