✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
kdet said:
The United Methodist Church defrocked a lesbian minister who lives with her partner Thursday for violating the denomination's ban on actively gay clergy -- the first such decision by the church in 17 years.
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...sts-gays,0,206356.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

My husband is a member of the United Methodist church and he is delighted by this decision.

Since the denomination was created by a gay Pentecostal minister (Troy Perry) primarily for gays and lesbians; and it's also one of the fastest-growing denominations in the country, I'm sure MCC could put that woman to very good use!

Of course, heterosexuals are welcome at Metropolitan Community Churches -- which is more than I can say about many churches in many mainline denominations, and their treatment of gays.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ff578 said:

Good.

1 Timothy 5:20 Them that sin rebuke before all, that others may also fear.

1 Therefore you are without excuse, man, whoever you are who judge. For in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself. For you who judge practice the same things.
2 We know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things.
3 Do you know this, O man who judges those who practice such things, and do the same, that you will escape the judgment of God?
4 Or do you despise the riches of his goodness, forbearance, and patience, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lets try and understand that a church should stand by it's own discipline. The United Methodist Church does not and never has condoned homosexuality. Therefore it cannot let someone who admits to being in a homosexual relationship be a pastor of one of their churches.

Upvote 0

elanor

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Nov 9, 2003
Left Coast
Visit site
✟16,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29826-2004Dec2.html?sub=new

Stroud, who had urged supporters not to regard the church as an enemy, hugged each member of the jury after the penalty was announced.

"I did not go into this trial expecting to win," she told reporters as she held back tears. "I went into it knowing that it would be a painful moment in the life of the United Methodist Church. . . . I am hopeful that in time, and that through God's spirit, the United Methodist Church will change its Discipline."
Obviously, this is not the kind of person we'd want leading others on their walk with God. :sigh:

elanor (also a member of the UMC, but not so "delighted" about this decision)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

elanor

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Nov 9, 2003
Left Coast
Visit site
✟16,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
kdet said:
Lets try and understand that a church should stand by it's own discipline.
I do understand what you are saying, kdet. I know that the jury had to find according to the rules, and the rules were hardened (and I use that word deliberately--hardened, not strengthened) after this year's general conference. But many are praying and working to change that. It may not happen quickly, but I firmly believe it will happen ultimately.

The heresy of one age becomes the orthodoxy of the next. -- Helen Keller

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
GMRELIC said:
surely they will start getting rid of all the overweight preachers next, and the ones that have been divorced and remarried, The Methodist minister in my small town has to be at least 75 lb overweight.

I'd like to point out that being overweight doesn't necessarily indicate a sin. As well, people can be considered underweight and complete gluttons.

As for the minister, if the denomination teaches against a particular behavior and you go and openly do it, I don't think you should be surprised they let you go.

There are many churches out there, perhaps she will find one better suited for it. Seems a little odd someone would be a minister in a church of a denomination which condemns something that is a major part of her life.

Upvote 0

GMRELIC

Jan 30, 2004
texas
✟1,623.00
Faith
Christian
stray bullet said:
I'd like to point out that being overweight doesn't necessarily indicate a sin. As well, people can be considered underweight and complete gluttons.

As for the minister, if the denomination teaches against a particular behavior and you go and openly do it, I don't think you should be surprised they let you go.

There are many churches out there, perhaps she will find one better suited for it. Seems a little odd someone would be a minister in a church of a denomination which condemns something that is a major part of her life.
you do have a point there, If it is in the bylaws of the Methodist church that a gay or lesbian cannot be in the clergy, then she should have picked another church, and you are right not all fat people are gluttons, but it really
burnes me to go to a church that has a very fat minister, standing up there and preaching against others sins, I personally feel obesity is a sin, if someone has no pride in thier "temple" and can't exercise to maintain a healthy appearance, then they really shouldn't be up there preaching (but that is another thread) It seems to me that alot of churches will accept alot of sin if it affects most of the congergation, but sins that affect so little of thier congergation they jump on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
GMRELIC said:
but it really
burnes me to go to a church that has a very fat minister, standing up there and preaching against others sins

I'd probably get up and leave if I saw that. I generally go for the use of the bible in practical every day usage, not how bad of a person I am :)

Upvote 0

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
UberLutheran said:
1 Therefore you are without excuse, man, whoever you are who judge. For in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself. For you who judge practice the same things.
2 We know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things.
3 Do you know this, O man who judges those who practice such things, and do the same, that you will escape the judgment of God?
4 Or do you despise the riches of his goodness, forbearance, and patience, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?
"For you who judge practice the same things."

If person A is gay, and a person B who is not passes judgement on A, especially if B is an authority figure, then the judgement is OK and clearly necessary. This lesbian minister is a wolf in sheeps clothing. The shepard of the flock, (THE LEADER OF THE CHURCH/DENOMINATION) needs to do something about it by using spiritual discernment.

Upvote 0

Piano Player

Order of the Candle
Apr 12, 2004
Cleveland, Ohio
✟15,881.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
GMRELIC said:
you do have a point there, If it is in the bylaws of the Methodist church that a gay or lesbian cannot be in the clergy, then she should have picked another church, and you are right not all fat people are gluttons, but it really
burnes me to go to a church that has a very fat minister, standing up there and preaching against others sins, I personally feel obesity is a sin, if someone has no pride in thier "temple" and can't exercise to maintain a healthy appearance, then they really shouldn't be up there preaching (but that is another thread) It seems to me that alot of churches will accept alot of sin if it affects most of the congergation, but sins that affect so little of thier congergation they jump on.
Slightly off topic, but in the this really happened department, I attended a church service (whose name and denomination I will not disclose) in which the visiting bishop, who was really fat, told the congregation that if they just observed the church's fast days, they would not have a weight problem. I guess some people's irony meter just doesn't work very well.

Upvote 0

Caylin

Formerly Dracon427
Feb 15, 2004
Olympia, Washington
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Piano Player said:
Slightly off topic, but in the this really happened department, I attended a church service (whose name and denomination I will not disclose) in which the visiting bishop, who was really fat, told the congregation that if they just observed the church's fast days, they would not have a weight problem. I guess some people's irony meter just doesn't work very well.

*Snicker*

Upvote 0