✟8,763.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi all,

I am a christened and raised Methodist Christian, attending a Methodist church for the first ten or so years of my life - however, due to my parents' non-believing, and several other issues, it has taken me almost eight years to rediscover God, scripture, and the Bible.

My boyfriend is a Literalist Baptist - I was just wondering what differences in faith we would come across as a result of our denominational differences? I am learning, almost from scratch, about His love and the lessons of the Bible. I want to be the best Christian and best girlfriend that I can be. I fear that I am uneducated, and I genuinely want to learn and talk with people about faith, God, and life.

Many thanks for reading :)

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi all,
I am a christened and raised Methodist Christian, attending a Methodist church for the first ten or so years of my life - however, due to my parents' non-believing, and several other issues, it has taken me almost eight years to rediscover God, scripture, and the Bible.
My boyfriend is a Literalist Baptist - I was just wondering what differences in faith we would come across as a result of our denominational differences? I am learning, almost from scratch, about His love and the lessons of the Bible. I want to be the best Christian and best girlfriend that I can be. I fear that I am uneducated, and I genuinely want to learn and talk with people about faith, God, and life.
Many thanks for reading
:)
I am a Baptist pastor. One of my brothers-in-law is a Methodist pastor. I would say very little difference in faith and practice. The main difference is in church government.

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have been both. And it depends somewhat on what kind of Baptist you're talking about.

One pretty big difference is that most Baptists believe that once you are truly saved, you will always be saved, no matter what you do.

Methodists believe in the possibility of Christian perfection on earth. Baptists are more likely to believe we are all worms and utterly corrupt.

Methodists do believe in the second coming of Christ, but they don't believe in the rapture, which most Baptists believe in.

Methodists believe in the Apostles Creed. Baptists believe everything the Creed says, but they don't believe in reciting it.

And a big one- many Baptists are oppressive against women. They don't allow female leadership in the church, and may stress male headship at home. The SBC is big into such gender roles.

May the Lord guide you.

• Useful
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most Baptists believe if you are going to be received as a member in their congregation, you must be baptised by immersion. Your sprinkling as an infant would not be considered as a baptism.

THAT is the biggie right there, along with church government. There are differences within Baptists and Methodists on many of the points Gregorikos mentioned, because not all Baptists are SBC. The American Baptists in the northern and midwestern states ordain women, for instance.
Among the Southern Baptists, the pre-trib rapture is slowly waning with the rise of Calvinism.

Upvote 0