Metaphysical and epistemological questions about Gods Word, Bible, and God.

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On your first point. I'm talking about knowing/interpreting the absolute truth/language of the creator, not necessarily man made objective truth. Maybe i mean objective truth in it's most pure sense. It would be like an absolute objective way for us to know the objective truths from the calculus book in their true essence outside the agreed upon parameters of the calculus book. Just knowledge/reality in its true sense outside of human language, even if we have to use some form of human language to interpret it and explain it.
What you're looking for is Direct Revelation of premium quality - prophet-quality revelations. All sheep hear the voice at least vaguely (Jn 10:27) - also known as the Inward Witness - but typically that voice isn't terribly loud and clear until you've risen to the level of a prophet.

Prophet-level Direct Revelation is infallible revelation. It was this level of revelation necessary to write the Scriptures in the first place. That same level is needed to fully and infallibly comprehend the Scriptures today.

How can I can be sure that I've received an infallible revelation? When I feel 100% sure! It's the Spirit's job to convict/convince you, to cause you to feel sure/certain. This leads to tautologies of this sort:

"I can accept a revelation without question if, and only if, I find it impossible to question."

That describes a state of 100% certainty. Even if a revelation is received at less than 100% certainty it is still obligatory, if the certainty is high enough such that you are unable to disobey or repudiate the message in good conscience.

I am a huge advocate of the absolute primacy of Direct Revelation (1Cor 14:1) and, by implication, a huge opponent of Sola Scriptura. The chief responsibility of the church, in my view, is to wait upon the Lord, day and night, in prayer and praise, for Direct Revelations received as outpourings of the Spirit (revivals). This was the whole point of the Galatian epistle, in my view.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To your second question. Ok, this is tough. I'm fascinated by how we know things, I'm coming at this from a philosophical perspective. To start at the beginning, I believe there is a Creator. Then things get complicated. Many philosophers and religions say, that anything our finite mind and language can use to describe the Creator, the Creator is not that. It is Infinitely outside of that, much more. Which makes perfect sense. So i agree with that, We simply can't know the Creator in the sense that we know other things such as that we think therefore we are!
Baloney. Don't fall into such hollow and deceptive philosophy. You can comprehend the Creator perfectly - otherwise there would be no hope.

I'm speaking qualitatively, not quantitatively. For example you can fully comprehend God's love in a qualitative sense (love simply means kindness) but not in a quantitative sense (you cannot grasp the full magnitude of His love, at least not without Direct Revelation to aid you).

Upvote 0

Michael Garrett Andrews

Oct 6, 2019
perry
✟37,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, You're right JAL, I just have to not get frustrated. In a sense i'm relieved you admitted we need prophecy level direct revelation to understand the scriptures. Because that logically makes sense! Something that is very rare these days!

A good example of this would be Genesis 1:27 " God created man in his own image; male and female he created them". I believe this verse could have very profound meanings that even some of the greatest minds could easily misinterpret or not understand.
Other verses include Romans 10:14-18 " 18
But I say, surely they have never heard, have they? On the contrary:
“Their voice has gone out into all the earth,
And their words to the ends of the world.”
and the cross reference Psalm 19:4 Their sound has gone out into all the earth,
And their words to the end of the world.
In them He has placed a tent for the sun,"
Psalm 19:4 could have some really interesting interpretations, because stars do make sounds and have a frequency, however the sounds are unable to be heard without an atmosphere. And interpretations and correct understanding of Romans 10 could have some major influence on some of our doctrines. I don't claim any specific knowledge, i'm still studying myself. However, perhaps i have experienced direct revelation on some scale which confirm my beliefs in a Creator(intelligent design) and also my morals.
Another thing that interests me is, in the meantime, how are we to interpret the bible correctly?
Yesterday i researched how ex Jehovah's Witnesses recover from from indoctrination, and misinterpreting scripture which in turn negatively affected their view and knowledge of God's word and God. I was looking to see how they went from misinterpreting scripture to interpreting it correctly. Sadly, i discovered a very high percentage of them were so negatively affected by misinterpreting the bible, that they no longer believe in God. Am i am completely sick of false prophets on youtube, Todd White, Colton Kelly to name a few. Straight up lying about God. Then Justin Peters calls them out, but his version of how to interpret scripture is quite obviously incorrect as well !! Would you say we are to remain quiet and just stick to the basics and not lie to ourself or one another?
Sorry for the rambling, i am just putting some things out there so we can narrow it down and get to the heart of the matter.
Edit: I've had my share of hardships, and not understanding/ questioning God. But at the end of the day I'm ok, just trying to learn and do my best. But if you want to cry your eyes out, go read about what the ex JW's have been through, my heart really goes out to them, and it wouldn't surprise me if God makes special care and conditions for what they went through.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another thing that interests me is, in the meantime, how are we to interpret the bible correctly?
You're right. While we wait upon God for Direct Revelation in the meantime we must deal with the question as to how, until then, can we best employ exegesis to (tentatively) interpret Scripture.

Since exegesis was never God's intended approach, I can only give you my opinions on how to practice it. The following rules might sound trite but actually, time and again, make for a radically different theology than traditional thinking.
(1) Honor the law of non-contradiction (LNC). Mainstream theology buys into a set of assumptions presumed non-negotiable such as DDS (Doctrine of Divine Simplicity), and the claim that God is infinite. Such assumptions take precedence over LNC. Huge mistake, in my view. LNC should take precedence over everything.
(2) Doctrinal clarity. Always tend to favor a clear doctrine over one less clear. In fact if a doctrine is too unclear to comprehend at all, do not consider it a real doctrine, relegate it to the status of gibberish (for example the Hypostatic Union). That's why I reacted so strongly when you made a comment about God being too infinite for us to comprehend.

For more than 20 years, these principles have led me to a very simple theology where:
(1) I accept nothing magical, supernatural, or spiritual. God Himself is physical like us (i.e. tangible albeit not necessarily arranged as atoms) and operates on the same basic physical principles as we do.
(2) This makes the Incarnation and Trinity a cinch to define and explain.
(3) I reject creation ex nihilo. Again, if a theory is touted as "beyond human comprehension", it's gibberish. Look for an alternative.

I suggests you read post 54 on this thread, which links to posts 850 and 856 on another thread, and 856 has some more links. Taken together, all these links provide a non-orthodox theory of who Yahweh really is, how He incarnated Himself, and how He created the world. All points are explained in simple physical terms that anyone can comprehend. Along the way these posts expose some contradictions in traditional thinking. Enjoy the ride.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟918,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If bible and gods word are objective truth, then knowledge of characters and events described in Gods Word / Bible must be available to us through some means, and we could also use the same means to obtain knowledge of early native Americans and even know every fact in reality about Columbus. .

I am not sure what your proposing... that infinite God might turn his attention away from the matter of saving mankind - and focus more on giving us a lot more details about Columbus??

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟918,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday i researched how ex Jehovah's Witnesses recover from from indoctrination

2 Peter 1: 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess what i'm getting at , is I feel as if there is a way to know reality through abstract thinking and imagination.
the Bible describes different kinds of states of being just like nature reflects different states of being. Each human is a world and is a unique microcosm and so you cannot merely abstract them away because they are a more complicated reality than just mere thoughts.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Michael Garrett Andrews

Oct 6, 2019
perry
✟37,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the Bible describes different kinds of states of being just like nature reflects different states of being. Each human is a world and is a unique microcosm and so you cannot merely abstract them away because they are a more complicated reality than just mere thoughts.

Can you be more clear. I am completely lost on what you said! Abstract what away?
Edit: Ok, i kinda get what you're saying. So , you're saying, No, we can't know reality through abstract thinking and imagination. Maybe not as a whole, but what about certain facts?! I'm also wondering if those different states of being you mentioned are facts in reality. To me an example would be the Holy Spirit manifesting in tongues of fire, maybe something along those lines. How would we know the facts about that and not just our interpretations?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Garrett Andrews

Oct 6, 2019
perry
✟37,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Peter 1: 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
Yes, My question was more along the lines of , How are we to interpret scripture correctly, and avoid misinterpretations and false beliefs in general or about God from reading the text? Seems to me this happens more often than not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael Garrett Andrews

Oct 6, 2019
perry
✟37,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure what your proposing... that infinite God might turn his attention away from the matter of saving mankind - and focus more on giving us a lot more details about Columbus??
What i'm saying is more along the lines of . If we are to depend on history to know anything at all about God, then there must be a way of accurately verifying this history. Which could be carried over into other historical events. Laplaces demon comes into play here . here is an article citing how this may even be possible. Take article with grain of salt, its only to give perspective of kind of where i'm coming from with my questioning. World’s biggest computer chip can simulate the future ‘faster than the laws of physics’
Me personally, what good is historical facts or opinions about God if we are not able to replicate any of this now? If you say we can, that's wonderful, all you have to do is tell me how, and we're good to go.
Also a disclaimer: I am a christian, theologically barely, but in my daily life and core beliefs, i'm team Jesus all the way. I'm simply trying to make sense of the bible, and line up my theology with my core beliefs .

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To me an example would be the Holy Spirit manifesting in tongues of fire, maybe something along those lines. How would we know the facts about that and not just our interpretations?
We have an experience in this reality which you could call brute fact but I don't know how much that alone could get one to know God who is truth/wisdom and goodness/love itself. I think a good example would be the resurrection of Jesus Christ. None of us physically saw it. but if it happened in this objective reality it is therefore an brute fact of the reality. But we are separated in time and space from the occurrence. the Bible says that people accused Jesus of Miracles by the spirit of Beelzebub. Jesus said for them to believe him by the works that were good that he did if that was all that they were capable of accepting from him. None of us saw Jesus do the things he did.

it seems to be important that human beings have their own perceptions. What a persons soul is matters to God and I guess that's why we have a problem of subjectivity. in naturalism subjectivity is not as important as it is in spiritual life. Subjectivity is the realm of personality. In hell people tend to be delusional and in heaven they tend to see God. Someone in Hell existing with their delusions when exposed by God suffers torments because they see themselves for what they are in the light of God.
the soul.png

Yes, My question was more along the lines of , How are we to interpret scripture correctly, and avoid misinterpretations and false beliefs in general or about God from reading the text? Seems to me this happens more often than not.
It's important to know that we are spirits, not just bodily creatures.
I think one of the main points is that we have our own interpretation. There are better and worse interpretations and they are dependent on what manner of being we are. But we do have a set of scriptures and so we can try to look at all of them in order to come to better conclusions.

Scripture is a kind of capacity that your own spirit, angels, demons and God can shine through. So too are peoples souls this way.

In the spiritual World there are all kinds of spirits and all are trying to make an influence on you by the mere fact that they are what they are. So things like God's Providence, virtue, purity of heart, prayer, faith, and various spiritual practices that get us closer to God are of Chief importance in understanding.

in order to understand we must be as near to God as we can. This means growth and it ultimately means Union with God. Different beings have God for themselves in their own way and so the greater the angel or teacher the more they can potentially give but your understanding is also dependent on your receptivity to God. Evil spirits don't commune with God as much and so if we listen to them we will be made in their image.

this objective world is considered to be fallen in comparison to the spiritual world. The brute force of this reality some what makes us conform to it. It is a reality that is not as free as the reality of our subjectivity. But this world can still be contemplated, which is a type of spiritual communion. so one of the chief meanings of this world is symbolic in nature. It's also an outermost capacity and a starting point to things. It's a medium in which to act. Spiritual life is both understanding and will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Garrett Andrews

Oct 6, 2019
perry
✟37,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are most welcome, brother.
The focus of our faith is in loving the Lord Jesus Christ, spreading the good news, and loving others (loving the brethren, loving the poor, loving our enemies, etc.), and in living holy unto the Lord. Just a friendly tip, brother. I hope you do not take it the wrong way.
Peace, and blessings be unto you and your family in the Lord.
Sound advice! This seems to be what i have learned most about myself since i started this thread! Thank You.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Garrett Andrews

Oct 6, 2019
perry
✟37,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're right. While we wait upon God for Direct Revelation in the meantime we must deal with the question as to how, until then, can we best employ exegesis to (tentatively) interpret Scripture.

Since exegesis was never God's intended approach, I can only give you my opinions on how to practice it. The following rules might sound trite but actually, time and again, make for a radically different theology than traditional thinking.
(1) Honor the law of non-contradiction (LNC). Mainstream theology buys into a set of assumptions presumed non-negotiable such as DDS (Doctrine of Divine Simplicity), and the claim that God is infinite. Such assumptions take precedence over LNC. Huge mistake, in my view. LNC should take precedence over everything.
(2) Doctrinal clarity. Always tend to favor a clear doctrine over one less clear. In fact if a doctrine is too unclear to comprehend at all, do not consider it a real doctrine, relegate it to the status of gibberish (for example the Hypostatic Union). That's why I reacted so strongly when you made a comment about God being too infinite for us to comprehend.

For more than 20 years, these principles have led me to a very simple theology where:
(1) I accept nothing magical, supernatural, or spiritual. God Himself is physical like us (i.e. tangible albeit not necessarily arranged as atoms) and operates on the same basic physical principles as we do.
(2) This makes the Incarnation and Trinity a cinch to define and explain.
(3) I reject creation ex nihilo. Again, if a theory is touted as "beyond human comprehension", it's gibberish. Look for an alternative.

I suggests you read post 54 on this thread, which links to posts 850 and 856 on another thread, and 856 has some more links. Taken together, all these links provide a non-orthodox theory of who Yahweh really is, how He incarnated Himself, and how He created the world. All points are explained in simple physical terms that anyone can comprehend. Along the way these posts expose some contradictions in traditional thinking. Enjoy the ride.
@JAL Jal, id like to ask you something, Can you give me a clear answer as to what exactly is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?! Thanks.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@JAL Jal, id like to ask you something, Can you give me a clear answer as to what exactly is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?! Thanks.
While I'm flattered that you value my opinion, I've never come to any definite conclusions about it. Anyone who has taken the time to study the issue could probably give you a better theory than I.

In fact in all my Christian studies, I've only skimmed - lightly skimmed - a precious few topics in the Bible - my interests lie mostly in revival, regeneration, sanctification, metaphysics (the nature of God, the Incarnation, cosmogony), Direct Revelation (as opposed to Sola Scriptura), Continuationism (as opposed to Cessationism), and Covenant Theology. I'm not a scholar, I just form simple, clear opinions by identifying easily-spotted logical conflicts and ambiguities in traditional thinking.

Thanks for asking, and I'm sorry I can't be of more help here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,198,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I believe based on reading the context that it is referring to speaking bad words against the Holy Spirit. Most in the sin and still be saved camp of believers oddly insert the false belief in the Bible that it is referring to rejecting Jesus as Savior in this life.

“Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.” (Matthew 12:31-32).​

The contrast is:

#1. Speak a word against the Son of man (JESUS), (vs.)
#2. Speaking against the Holy Ghost.

To make this passage say that the blasphemy of the Spirit is a rejection of Jesus Christ, it would need to specifically say that. But it simply doesn't.

Now, what most people do not probably understand about Matthew 12:31-32 is that the condemnation of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit only applies to the Spirit filled believer and not the unregenerate unbelieving person or unregenerate religious individual who never was filled by the Spirit yet. (Note: The Holy Spirit indwelling is a New Covenant exclusive package deal and promise for all believers. In the Old Testament, only kings and prophets were filled with the Holy Spirit).

I believe the condemnation of “the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit” only applies to Spirit filled believers, and not unbelievers. If an unbeliever commits this sin, they are in danger of hellfire, but they are not actually condemned by this sin. While Paul may have not committed this sin, Paul said, “Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.” (1 Timothy 1:13) (Note: Why is Paul concerned about being forgiven of these sins?).

Anyways, here are my 4 major points why only a regenerated Spirit filled believer can commit the unforgivable sin only.

Point #1. Matthew 12:32 - “Neither the world to come.”

“And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.” (Matthew 12:32).​

The word “whosoever” in Matthew 12:32 can be used for a specific people group like believers only and not just all people. We see a clear example of this in 1 John 3:15. For 1 John 3:15 says,

“Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.” (1 John 3:15).​

Can unbelievers hate their spiritual Christian brother? No. Only believers have spiritual brothers in Christ. Unbelievers are not partakers of the body of Christ (whereby they could have true spiritual Christian brothers); They are unbelievers outside the body.

In Matthew 12:32: The “whosoever” is in context to the believer who has tasted of God’s Spirit because it says that this sin can be committed in the “world to come.” The “world to come” is the Millennium or the future 1,000 year reign of Jesus Christ. Everyone will all start out be a Spirit filled believer in the Millennium because Christ will be living and reigning in this time period. So only the Spirit filled Christian who seeks to turn away from God and who speaks bad words against the Spirit will never be forgiven.

Point #2. Matthew 12:33 - “Make the tree good, and his fruit good.”

Jesus says to the Pharisees:

“Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.” (Matthew 12:33).​

If these Pharisees were forever condemned by their committing the unforgivable sin here, then why is Jesus telling them to make the tree good and his fruit good? This means that there is still hope for these Pharisees because they said what they did in ignorance like Paul’s actions were done in ignorance before encountering Jesus and His grace.

Point #3. Mark 3:29 - “In Danger of Eternal Damnation.”

Jesus says,

“But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:” (Mark 3:29).​

“Danger” is the keyword here to focus on here. If you are in danger, you have a chance to change your course, and be safe and out of danger. If you get a warning of danger by seeing a shark fin in the water, you would swim as fast as you can to safety. If you were in a burning building, you would be in danger of being burned up, unless you got out and or you called the fire department to rescue you. Danger means you are seriously close to a bad thing happening but it does not mean that bad has already happened to you. When we experience “danger” we are receiving a warning or sign that we are very close to disaster, harm, or destruction.

Point #4. Luke 12:8-12 are words spoken to the believer.

“Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God: But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God. And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.” (Luke 12:8-12).​

In Luke 12:8-12: It starts out talking to the believer and it ends with talking to the Spirit filled believer (for the passage ends saying that the Holy Ghost shall teach you what you ought to say); Yet, in the middle of this conversation, it refers to how blasphemy against the Spirit can never be forgiven. This implies that only the Christian who tasted of the Spirit can only speak bad words towards the Spirit and it is not referring to the unbeliever here. For obviously if we denied God as an atheist before coming to the faith, that does not mean we cannot accept Jesus later on, and be forgiven. So the blasphemy of the Spirit is only possible for a Christian who had tasted of the Spirit (Especiallly when we look at the whole counsel of God’s Word).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Garrett Andrews

Oct 6, 2019
perry
✟37,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe based on reading the context that it is referring to speaking bad words against the Holy Spirit. Most in the sin and still be saved camp of believers oddly insert the false belief in the Bible that it is referring to rejecting Jesus as Savior in this life.

“Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.” (Matthew 12:31-32).​

The contrast is:

#1. Speak a word against the Son of man (JESUS), (vs.)
#2. Speaking against the Holy Ghost.

To make this passage say that the blasphemy of the Spirit is a rejection of Jesus Christ, it would need to specifically say that. But it simply doesn't.

Now, what most people do not probably understand about Matthew 12:31-32 is that the condemnation of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit only applies to the Spirit filled believer and not the unregenerate unbelieving person or unregenerate religious individual who never was filled by the Spirit yet. (Note: The Holy Spirit indwelling is a New Covenant exclusive package deal and promise for all believers. In the Old Testament, only kings and prophets were filled with the Holy Spirit).

I believe the condemnation of “the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit” only applies to Spirit filled believers, and not unbelievers. If an unbeliever commits this sin, they are in danger of hellfire, but they are not actually condemned by this sin. While Paul may have not committed this sin, Paul said, “Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.” (1 Timothy 1:13) (Note: Why is Paul concerned about being forgiven of these sins?).

Anyways, here are my 4 major points why only a regenerated Spirit filled believer can commit the unforgivable sin only.

Point #1. Matthew 12:32 - “Neither the world to come.”

“And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.” (Matthew 12:32).​

The word “whosoever” in Matthew 12:32 can be used for a specific people group like believers only and not just all people. We see a clear example of this in 1 John 3:15. For 1 John 3:15 says,

“Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.” (1 John 3:15).​

Can unbelievers hate their spiritual Christian brother? No. Only believers have spiritual brothers in Christ. Unbelievers are not partakers of the body of Christ (whereby they could have true spiritual Christian brothers); They are unbelievers outside the body.

In Matthew 12:32: The “whosoever” is in context to the believer who has tasted of God’s Spirit because it says that this sin can be committed in the “world to come.” The “world to come” is the Millennium or the future 1,000 year reign of Jesus Christ. Everyone will all start out be a Spirit filled believer in the Millennium because Christ will be living and reigning in this time period. So only the Spirit filled Christian who seeks to turn away from God and who speaks bad words against the Spirit will never be forgiven.

Point #2. Matthew 12:33 - “Make the tree good, and his fruit good.”

Jesus says to the Pharisees:

“Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.” (Matthew 12:33).​

If these Pharisees were forever condemned by their committing the unforgivable sin here, then why is Jesus telling them to make the tree good and his fruit good? This means that there is still hope for these Pharisees because they said what they did in ignorance like Paul’s actions were done in ignorance before encountering Jesus and His grace.

Point #3. Mark 3:29 - “In Danger of Eternal Damnation.”

Jesus says,

“But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:” (Mark 3:29).​

“Danger” is the keyword here to focus on here. If you are in danger, you have a chance to change your course, and be safe and out of danger. If you get a warning of danger by seeing a shark fin in the water, you would swim as fast as you can to safety. If you were in a burning building, you would be in danger of being burned up, unless you got out and or you called the fire department to rescue you. Danger means you are seriously close to a bad thing happening but it does not mean that bad has already happened to you. When we experience “danger” we are receiving a warning or sign that we are very close to disaster, harm, or destruction.

Point #4. Luke 12:8-12 are words spoken to the believer.

“Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God: But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God. And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.” (Luke 12:8-12).​

In Luke 12:8-12: It starts out talking to the believer and it ends with talking to the Spirit filled believer (for the passage ends saying that the Holy Ghost shall teach you what you ought to say); Yet, in the middle of this conversation, it refers to how blasphemy against the Spirit can never be forgiven. This implies that only the Christian who tasted of the Spirit can only speak bad words towards the Spirit and it is not referring to the unbeliever here. For obviously if we denied God as an atheist before coming to the faith, that does not mean we cannot accept Jesus later on, and be forgiven. So the blasphemy of the Spirit is only possible for a Christian who had tasted of the Spirit (Especiallly when we look at the whole counsel of God’s Word).
ok, thank you. I have been a believer most of my life, but i feel as if i don't have a clue what the Holy Spirit is. How would i know?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,198,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ok, thank you. I have been a believer most of my life, but i feel as if i don't have a clue what the Holy Spirit is. How would i know?

The Lord our God is one God and yet He exists as three distinct persons (i.e. the Godhead or the Trinity). The Holy Spirit (or Holy Ghost) is the third person of the Trinity.

The Godhead or the Trinity is taught to us in one verse (which is found in the King James Bible and removed from many Modern Translations).

“For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.” (1 John 5:7) (KJB).

So there are three persons in the Trinity.

1. Father.
2. Word (Son of God or Jesus).
3. Holy Spirit (Holy Ghost).

These three are one God.

The Godhead (i.e. Trinity) is stating that God is one and yet He is also three distinct persons, too. Ever see those paper chain cutouts of people before in your school? Imagine three persons in that chain. They are connected as one God and yet they are also three. While God is not exactly like Siamese twins, Siamese twins gives us an idea that two or more distinct people can exist in the form of one, as well. Granted, these are crude examples, but they should help give you the basic idea of the Godhead (i.e. Trinity).

All three persons of the Trinity or Godhead live inside a believer; This includes both the Father and the Son (John 14:23) and the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19).

Again, the Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity. The Holy Spirit made it possible for Scripture (i.e. the Holy Bible) to exist. For the Holy Spirit inspired men of God to write God's Holy Word. The Holy Spirit also plays a key role in guiding believers who have accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior. In 1 John 2:27, we learn that John tells those believers he was writing to that they had the anointing (i.e. the Holy Spirit), and they did not need any man to teach them. In fact, the Holy Spirit convicts men of their sin so as to lead them to Christ, as well (John 16:8-9). Before the cross, the Holy Spirit was only given to kings and prophets. So the Spirit was not given to all believers in the time of the Old Covenant. The Spirit may have guided them, but the Spirit did not live in them. The disciples of Christ (while guided by the Spirit) did not receive the Holy Spirit living on the inside of them until Christ had risen. In fact, Pentecost was the birth of the church with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon thousands of believers. So the New Covenant is unique in that the Holy Spirit is a unique gift to those who accept Jesus as their Savior and believe that Christ died for their sins, he was buried, and he was risen three days later on their behalf. The Holy Spirit is the “living water” spoken about in both John 4:14, and John 7:37-39. Many believers today fail to let the Holy Spirit guide their life. But we must always be in tune with God.

Here is a helpful article on understanding the Holy Spirit.
Who is the Holy Spirit? | GotQuestions.org
(Note: I do not endorse this website's view of Calvinism and or their view of salvation; I am only agreeing with their article here).

Here is a helpful article on understanding the Trinity.
Understanding the Trinity | Cru
(Note: I may not endorse this website's other beliefs).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟918,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
@JAL , @ Bible Highlighter,
Does God (Creator) communicate with each one of us /all of the ~156 billion souls directly?
Yes or No ?!?

There are less than 8 billion people on Earth. what other planets are you thinking of?

But the answer is "yes" God communicates with us directly according to John 16 in the form of His Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0