Met. Joseph doesn't seem to mind praying with heretics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I hate to say this, but since when did anyone's feelings matter?
Do you think estranging yourself from family is a good way to help show people a witness of our faith and, God willing, be an instrument for God to use in drawing them closer to the Faith He handed down to us?

ETA: In response to the suggestion below that I am violating the canons - it is not a violation, as I am following the interpretation and application of the canon from our bishop. I do not interpret the canons myself as a layperson; that’s not my role or place to do so.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Coming from someone who in the past 12 months has gone through two or three different religions and at least three churches, I'm sure you'll understand why I don't take your rebuke seriously.

I think you have me confused with someone else. I was received into the Coptic Orthodox Church by the hand of Fr. Marcus Mansour of the Southern United States Diocese under HG Bishop Youssef in 2012, and have never been anywhere else in the last 7 years, nor do I intend to be.

So I don't know who or what you are talking about, but it isn't about me.

In more general terms, if you are going to quote a post, then it is good to answer the content of the post rather than making up lies about the poster and deciding based on those lies not to address anything they say.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Father said that we can attend a service like that out of love and / or for the sake of peace in family, etc. For example, when my nephew and niece were dedicated, it would have been an extreme personal injury to them if I did not attend.

I did not partake of communion or do anything along those lines. I was, however, respectful and thankful that my family cares about the raising of my niece and nephew in the Christian faith in the best way they understand it. After all, my family raising me in the Christian Faith was part of the process of my journey to where I am today.

I also personally committed (on my own, not through the service) to try to teach them and raise them to follow God and His teachings. After all, our Christian witness is borne out of love and compassion, not out of judgment of the persons involved.

sure, I have non-Orthodox family. and while I have never participated in what I was since my conversion, I do use those times to share Orthodoxy, and bluntly but lovingly try to share the Truth that I know which they don't know.

• Agree
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I did not know that as a layperson I should read canon laws. Our clergy in the Antiochian Church in America have traditionally allowed us to attend services for relatives in other Christian Churches & we should know where the boundaries are if we are properly catechized. Are we to not attend weddings, funerals etc. for family & friends?

What about economy? If economy can be applied to matters like cremation: The attitude of the Orthodox Church towards the cremation of the dead. : Orthodox Canada
What about those of us in multiple faith societies? America is not a monolithic “Orthodox” nation; our circumstances are complex. Many do not even know of Orthodoxy.
Personally I am a convert & 1st generation post Orthodox diaspora also with Protestant ancestry. My older sister was actually baptized EO but we never knew till she was in her 40s.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Do you think estranging yourself from family is a good way to help show people a witness of our faith and, God willing, be an instrument for God to use in drawing them closer to the Faith He handed down to us?

If violating the canons of the church is necessary to be an instrument for God, then it is not God's instrument you have become. What better witness to the truth, than to follow it?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON
This thread is now permanently closed. Please note the forum wide rule:
  • Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.