Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
christmas_benedict_xvi_01.jpg

A big Merry Christmas from your Catholic brothers and sisters here at Christian Forums! ! Here is our gift to you, the last midnight mass homily of our beloved Pope John Paul II !

MIDNIGHT MASS
A HOMILY OF JOHN PAUL II
December 24, 2004

1. "Adoro te devote, latens Deitas."

"Godhead here in hiding, whom I do adore." On this Night, the opening words of this celebrated Eucharistic hymn echo in my heart. These words accompany me daily in this year dedicated to the Eucharist.

In the Son of the Virgin, "wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger" (Lk 2:12), we acknowledge and adore "the Bread which came down from heaven" (Jn 6:41, 51), the Redeemer who came among us in order to bring life to the world.

2. Bethlehem! The city where Jesus was born in fulfilment of the Scriptures, in Hebrew means "house of bread." It was there that the Messiah was to be born, the One who would say of himself: "I am the bread of life" (Jn 6:35, 48).

In Bethehem was born the One who, under the sign of broken bread, would leave us the memorial of his Pasch. On this Holy Night, adoration of the Child Jesus becomes Eucharistic adoration.

3. We adore you, Lord, truly present in the Sacrament of the Altar, the living Bread which gives life to humanity. We acknowledge you as our one God, a little Child lying helpless in the manger! "In the fullness of time, you became a man among men, to unite the end to the beginning, that is, man to God" (cf. Saint Irenaeus, Adversus Haereses, IV, 20, 4).

You are born on this Night, our divine Redeemer, and, in our journey along the paths of time, you become for us the food of eternal life.

Look upon us, eternal Son of God, who took flesh in the womb of the Virgin Mary! All humanity, with its burden of trials and troubles, stands in need of you.

Stay with us, living Bread which came down from heaven for our salvation! Stay with us forever! Amen!

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
O

OntheDL

honorthesabbath said:
I'm trying to find the DATE of Christ's birth in the bible-but can't find it. Where can one confirm this date? Or is it just tradition?
The honest induction puts Jesus's birthday at the 1st day of the feast of Tabernacle, September/October time frame differernt each year according to Jewish calendar.

Here's how:

Jesus was conceived six months after John the Baptist was conceived.

Luke 1
24 And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying,
25 Thus hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men.
26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
36 And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.

When was John the baptist conceived?

Luke 1
5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth.
8 And it came to pass, that while he executed the priest's office before God in the order of his course,
23 And it came to pass, that, as soon as the days of his ministration were accomplished, he departed to his own house.
24 And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived,

Elisabeth conceived John the Baptist after her husband Zacharias finished serving at the temple. According to Levitical priest laws, all 24 sons of Aaron were required to minister at the temple one week each. Zacharias was the descendent of Abia (Luke 1:5). Abia was the 8th son of Aaron (1 Chronicles 4).

So counting from the 1st week of 1st Jewish month, Nisan; and also the week of passover and week of pentecost required all the priest to serve at the temple. So this would put his service at the 10th week or the 2nd week of the third month, Sivan.

John the Baptist was conceived after the 2nd week of Sivan (3rd month).

Assuming 40 weeks of pregnancy, John the Baptist would have been born after the second week of Nisan or approx. on Nisan 15. Nisan 15 is the 1st day of the feast of Unleaven Bread.

Interestingly, Nisan 15 would be the day the Jew expect the coming of Elijah before the coming of the messiah.

The bible tells us John the Baptist came in the power and spirit of Elijah.

From Nisan 15, add 6 months, again assuming normal 40 weeks pregnancy, Jesus would have been born on the 15th of 7th month, Tishri.

15th of Tishri (7th month) is the 1st day of the feast of Tabernacle. Again, the bible comfirms this calculation. The 1st day of Feast of Tabernacle foreshadows (both the 1st and the 2nd) coming of the Lord.

Upvote 0