Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
EDIT:
This thread was dumb.
But thanks to all who agreed with me, because I have a need for people to be convinced by my arguments, because that makes me happy, but I need to move on from that, since that's just vain.

Disregard the likes, and other ratings applied, I changed the post.

Last edited:

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What's wrong with men not wearing shirts? Of all the men on the beach who are shirtless the vast minority have "eye candy" bodies. I usually see beer bellies and hairy chests
Speedos are definitely a no from me haha

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What's wrong with men not wearing shirts? Of all the men on the beach who are shirtless the vast minority have "eye candy" bodies. I usually see beer bellies and hairy chests
Speedos are definitely a no from me haha
I think there should be a standard. I mean, just because some women are seriously ugly, that doesn't mean they can go nude at the beach. Everyone should have the same degree of modesty, regardless of physical beauty.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think there should be a standard. I mean, just because some women are seriously ugly, that doesn't mean they can go nude at the beach. Everyone should have the same degree of modesty, regardless of physical beauty.

That isn't nudity. Women without tops is nudity.

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That isn't nudity. Women without tops is nudity.
well, "nude" just means without clothing. So, a man with no shirt is showing his bare-chest, and has a nude torso. The way we apply the terms are a result of social constructs, and they should come secondary to what really matters, being modest.

• Winner
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
well, "nude" just means without clothing. So, a man with no shirt is showing his bare-chest, and has a nude torso. The way we apply the terms are a result of social constructs, and they should come secondary to what really matters, being modest.

I don't need to be crass or explicit, but a person can be nude and covered in certain areas.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As far as real "world" you'd not have a leg to stand on, but from the standpoint of some Christians...maybe.

I'll make a deal with them, I'll wear a top if they can get the gals to wear something more than what they do. I know you don't want the thread to head in that direction, but what the women wear is a huge problem as far as I'm concerned. It was bad in the 60's but today? Geez.

Sure from a certain perspective they look great, as in Va voom, but I would guess, even the conventional one piece was too much from Gods standpoint. God doesn't want us Va vooming each other, and I would imagine even the lack of a shirt on a man could bring that on.

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't need to be crass or explicit, but a person can be nude and covered in certain areas.
well, im talking about public places. Public pools, public YMCA's, church events especially, and public beach areas. I think if anyone is going to a nudist beach, then they wouldn't care about what I'm saying.

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As far as real "world" you'd not have a leg to stand on, but from the standpoint of some Christians...maybe.

I'll make a deal with them, I'll wear a top if they can get the gals to wear something more than what they do. I know you don't want the thread to head in that direction, but what the women wear is a huge problem as far as I'm concerned. It was bad in the 60's but today? Geez.

Sure from a certain perspective they look great, as in Va voom, but I would guess, even the conventional one piece was too much from Gods standpoint. God doesn't want us Va vooming each other, and I would imagine even the lack of a shirt on a man could bring that on.
yeah, i don't expect the world of non-christians to agree with me on this, but maybe muslims probably would, but anyways, I think christian women should probably use something like trunks in addition to the one-piece at least, and then a less form fitting swim-shirt over the one-piece. Otherwise it just looks like they're in underwear which is immodest. So, this whole thing about men and women having to cover up different areas is settled when both men and women just cover up from above the knee, to the neck.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
well, im talking about public places. Public pools, public YMCA's, church events especially, and public beach areas. I think if anyone is going to a nudist beach, then they wouldn't care about what I'm saying.

Do you agree men without tops is not "nude" in the sense a woman without a top is?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LutheranGuy123

Feb 23, 2017
Texas
✟28,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Counter point: nudity is not inherently sexual. If you go to Spain, men wear Speedos and women wear bikini bottoms. Both wear the same amount of clothing. In parts of Africa, men and women both go topless at all times because clothing is expensive and it's hot outside. Before American influence, it was common for Japanese people to use mixed public baths without a bathing suit. In some areas it still is.

You're regulating what you feel others should wear based on what you think is sexual. Should women wear socks on the beach because men might get turned on by feet? What about covering their legs? Lots of men like legs. Toned stomachs? Hair? Might as well wear a Niqab or a Burka.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Should women wear socks on the beach because men might get turned on by feet?

There will always be the unusual, but we don't style things to work with the unusual, but the normal/usual.

When you have to post things like that to make your point, you kind of give your argument away as ridiculous... for the USA way. The things you mention won't fly not just for the OP but for many, yet you try to put the OP in the hot seat as being unreasonable. Your whole argument is unreasonable for most places on the planet.

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Counter point: nudity is not inherently sexual. If you go to Spain, men wear Speedos and women wear bikini bottoms. Both wear the same amount of clothing. In parts of Africa, men and women both go topless at all times because clothing is expensive and it's hot outside. Before American influence, it was common for Japanese people to use mixed public baths without a bathing suit. In some areas it still is.

You're regulating what you feel others should wear based on what you think is sexual. Should women wear socks on the beach because men might get turned on by feet? What about covering their legs? Lots of men like legs. Toned stomachs? Hair? Might as well wear a Niqab or a Burka.
I'm not making this about what's sexual or not sexual.
Women's breasts aren't inherently sexual, especially if they are really old women's breasts, saggy, wrinkled bags of powder. So, even if their breasts aren't sexual or attractive, I think they should still cover themselves up, because it's immodest and not honorable. This isn't entirely about sexuality, we cover up our butts for a reason, not just the front sides, it's about covering what's supposed to be covered, and I believe God puts it in our conscience to cover ourselves up, just like in Genesis.
As for Spain, and Africa, I think they set their own standards, and they don't agree with the top tier of modesty, and I think Christians should aim for that top tier of what's modest or at least aim for what's sufficiently modest, like a tank and trunks on everyone.
Women can wear no socks if they want. I'm saying men should wear shirts. That's my point, and that's what I said in the OP.

Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

which brings up a good point. Biblically, modesty is dressing in a way that will not cause your brother (or sister) to stumble. It isn't that nudity is a sin for the sake of nudity. Otherwise it would be ill for women to be nude together or men to be nude together.

I am not making a declaration about the World, but I know in America, just wearing a swimsuit can cause problems for many men, etc.

what does your conscience say? How will your dress affect those around you? I agree with you about there being limits. I mean you can only bend over backwards so far... But you do have to bend over backwards at times for the sake of weaker brothers/sisters and unbelievers.

Does this mean it is ok to be topless in an African village where everyone is topless??? Where your breasts won't cause anyone to stumble? I don't know... I don't know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LutheranGuy123

Feb 23, 2017
Texas
✟28,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not making this about what's sexual or not sexual.
Women's breasts aren't inherently sexual, especially if they are really old women's breasts, saggy, wrinkled bags of powder. So, even if their breasts aren't sexual or attractive, I think they should still cover themselves up, because it's immodest and not honorable. This isn't entirely about sexuality, we cover up our butts for a reason, not just the front sides, it's about covering what's supposed to be covered, and I believe God puts it in our conscience to cover ourselves up, just like in Genesis.
As for Spain, and Africa, I think they set their own standards, and they don't agree with the top tier of modesty, and I think Christians should aim for that top tier of what's modest or at least aim for what's sufficiently modest, like a tank and trunks on everyone.
Women can wear no socks if they want. I'm saying men should wear shirts. That's my point, and that's what I said in the OP.

The top tier of modesty is everyone wearing a bedsheet over their whole body. We have to draw a line at "modest enough" and our culture happens to draw that at men wearing trunks and women wearing bikinis. Other cultures, even Christian cultures, draw it at less or more.

Upvote 0

LutheranGuy123

Feb 23, 2017
Texas
✟28,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
which brings up a good point. Biblically, modesty is dressing in a way that will not cause your brother (or sister) to stumble. It isn't that nudity is a sin for the sake of nudity. Otherwise it would be ill for women to be nude together or men to be nude together.

I am not making a declaration about the World, but I know in America, just wearing a swimsuit can cause problems for many men, etc.

what does your conscience say? How will your dress affect those around you? I agree with you about there being limits. I mean you can only bend over backwards so far... But you do have to bend over backwards at times for the sake of weaker brothers/sisters and unbelievers.

Does this mean it is ok to be topless in an African village where everyone is topless??? Where your breasts won't cause anyone to stumble? I don't know... I don't know.

The reason men like breasts is because they don't see them normally. It's not like they go to Africa and stop caring or that people from Africa come here and start. People push the boundary of what is acceptable, and that also pushes the upper bound in the same direction. For example, this, which would be so modest today as to be weird, used to be considered obscene:

annette-kellerman-bathing-suit.jpg

Culture is changing, and it's moving toward what Spain and Japan have. Eventually it will get to the point where women barely cover their areola, and then some women will stop bothering to do that, until eventually that's normal and a bikini with a top is what the very modest women wear.

Also swim trunks are moving in the Speedo direction.

Upvote 0