Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Junia, you need to go back and read what I said. I DID NOT SAY: a woman cannot be a witness in the world --rather: NOT in the Assembly of Saints; as the Bible teaches us. Study the Word of God, rather than just trying to reason something, friend!

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
1Ti 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

The reason given for women not teaching is that like Eve, women are more vulnerable to deception.

A case could be made that today there is so much bad teaching by men that some bad teaching by women could not be much worse. However, I am not sure that is the gold standard to which Christians should aspire.

There are differences between men and women. One difference is that women are more inclined towards being a helpmeet. This may include a greater inclination to trust in and rely on whom she has chosen.

Dr. Joyce Brothers once wrote on a manifestation of this distinction by citing the example of a man and woman working together as a team on a corporate project. They might be in competition with another team and come to view them as the "enemy". After the project is over and reassignments made, the man and woman might find themselves working with their former competitors. The man is likely to make a smooth transition, but the woman is likely to have difficulty working with a former "enemy".

The resources Satan has allocated to imprint the idea that there is no differences between men and women and the resulting triggered reflex of shouting down any suggestion that there are differences has shut the door on what could be a very enlightening discussion.

For example, consideration of the qualities that make women devoted, supportive, loyal, and nurturing can begin to build an appreciation for femininity beyond the skills of a coworker.

However, it is this perspective that leads to a more traditional family approach to life and that is something in opposition to the current of the world Satan has established.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Is this okay?
Have not read the thread yet but, I wanted to keep my response unintentionally uninfluenced. I would say, “yes” the same standards of truth apply to men & women as long as Gospel truth is expressed. This, to me, is a separate issue from serving as clergy.

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Bible speaks of FEMALE PROPHETS...I am pretty sure they gave their messages God gave them to men as well as women, in other words, they TAUGHT the men as well as the women, what the Lord had told them.

Luk 2:36 There was also a prophet, Anna, the daughter of Penuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage,

Luk 2:37 and then was a widow until she was eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying.

Luk 2:38 Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.

I believe that this teaching that women were to be quiet in the church had to do with SOCIETY...not with any teaching that came from God.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There's a big article in the local newspaper about women being discriminated & treated unjustly when it comes to being Christian leaders.

I'm very traditional & believe society changes, God's Word doesn't, but part of me wonders if all of Paul's teachings on this topic only were intended for his individual church audiences or time period. In this time women really weren't allowed to say anything, so Paul was just saying it as a recommendation.

One church I was a part of had a female pastor & she was great. A lot of the congregation left & the church eventually closed, which is sad b/c of how powerful her messages were.

I've seen women serve as associate pastors & think that is okay, maybe the head pastor is where I'd draw a line. I'm actually more Baptist now & they won't even have women teach Sunday School classes. I think that's a little harsh. I attend RCA services as well & they are less strict on that, women are allowed to be elders & deacons something the Baptist church doesn't.

My biggest area of concern is if churches balk on this, what else might they balk on? Unsurprisingly, churches that balk on this tend to balk on a whole bunch of other issues too. It's very common.

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There's a big article in the local newspaper about women being discriminated & treated unjustly when it comes to being Christian leaders.

I'm very traditional & believe society changes, God's Word doesn't, but part of me wonders if all of Paul's teachings on this topic only were intended for his individual church audiences or time period. In this time women really weren't allowed to say anything, so Paul was just saying it as a recommendation.

It is not cultural, when Paul commanded male headship of the church, he pointed back to Genesis in support of his argument. It is no different than gays setting aside teachings on that issue saying it was cultural, all in the name of 'fairness'. See my sig line.

One church I was a part of had a female pastor & she was great. A lot of the congregation left & the church eventually closed, which is sad b/c of how powerful her messages were.

Exactly, what is the fruit of this movement? Not much good. I refuse to believe the church the past 2,000 years going back to the Apostles had this one wrong, overruled by modern feminists with an axe to grind.

I've seen women serve as associate pastors & think that is okay, maybe the head pastor is where I'd draw a line. I'm actually more Baptist now & they won't even have women teach Sunday School classes. I think that's a little harsh. I attend RCA services as well & they are less strict on that, women are allowed to be elders & deacons something the Baptist church doesn't.

My biggest area of concern is if churches balk on this, what else might they balk on? Unsurprisingly, churches that balk on this tend to balk on a whole bunch of other issues too. It's very common.

We are supposed to balk on heresy.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When we look at the bible, both old and new testaments, we realize that it emerged from an extremely patriarchal society. This society devalued women to the extent that they were not even considered to be persons before the law. Not only were they devalued but they were in many ways considered to be of inferior intellect and of a carnal nature even moreso than the male. Patriarchy was simply part and parcel of their world view --- they simply were unable to think of the role of women in any other way. Today we know that women are the intellectual and spiritual equals of men and in every respect except physical size and strength. Jesus himself seems to gave been largely gender blind in that he numbered women among his disciples and apostles and even close friends. Paul, at first, appears conflicted until we realize that the pastoral epistles (1 and 2 Timothy and Titus) were actually written pseudonymously some 60 years after Paul's death. This was more than enough time for patriarchy to once again take charge. In my personal opinion patriarchy just might be the ugliest evil that humanity has ever inflicted on itself. It still exerts its malevolent influence in some circles even today. As a Christian I am convinced that we should make every effort to ensure the full equality of women in every aspect of the life of our churches and in society at large.

God ordained patriarchy. And Christianity actually elevated the status of women in the ancient world, to the point they were derided by the Romans as a religion of women.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree w/ a lot of what you say. It can just be a bit challenging. But I'd rather see churches stricter on it then less. Lot of women are happy w/ it this way & understand the Scriptural support for it. The churches shouldn't balk on it just b/c some Religion Studies college professor says it's incorrect.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

The question is not just, "can it be done?". It is also, "should it be done?" God has his ordering for a reason. Women can teach, that's for sure. More mature women are exhorted to teach the younger women. Joyce Meyer is the best example of a woman teacher who is also under Biblical authority.

Christians have to be careful not to allow the world to sneak into the Church. Women are equal to men in every way, but they are not the same as men. Women are increasingly running all kinds of institutions and increasingly domineering and controlling. They are just as capable of ruining a corporation or a nation as a man. Germany under Merkel disarmed to the point that Putin considers their military a joke. Germany also tied their economy to Russia, which turned out to be a really bad move.

Women rulers are a blight, according to God (Isaiah 3:12).

What issues are churches balking on that bother you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is this okay?
Yes. . .Priscilla taught the Scriptures to Apollo in her home.

The issue is authority over men in the Christian assembly.

Women should not be teaching the Bible from the pulpit, a position of authority in the fellowship.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible speaks of FEMALE PROPHETS...I am pretty sure they gave their messages God gave them to men as well as women, in other words, they TAUGHT the men as well as the women, what the Lord had told them.

Luk 2:36 There was also a prophet, Anna, the daughter of Penuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage,

Luk 2:37 and then was a widow until she was eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying.

Luk 2:38 Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.

I believe that this teaching that women were to be quiet in the church had to do with SOCIETY...not with any teaching that came from God.

Wow! That is truly deviating from holy Scripture, as shown in the New Testament Gospels and Epistles. The verses you quote are taking them out of context; for such as Luke 2:38 is a PERSONAL witness, which ALL saints can do; but NOT in teaching, as in the collective Assembly.
I know your religion allows all that, but we need to study the Bible properly, NOT rejecting "all the counsel of God" and should be "rightly dividing the Word of Truth" as God enjoins faithful saints. -1watchman

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Clicking thru progressive Christian churches & every time the lead pastor is a woman.
I don't think this is a coincidence.
If you cave on one issue, you tend to cave on all the issues & clearly become apostate.
Churches need to stand firm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The RCA church I grew up at had a woman pastor. A lot of the congregation ended up leaving. I was still pretty young so don’t know why she ended up leaving, but eventually she did. Then the church made a bad hire after she left. The church never recovered from hiring her & closed its doors several years ago.

She was good, not gonna lie, certainly better then they hired as her replacement.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
In Isaiah 3:12, it is an evil that women and young people rule over Israel, not a blessing. Christians seem to forget God's intent in forming Eve. It was to help, not to dominate, rule and control. Satan wants women in places of power. Women are more easily deceived. Deborah was an exception, not the rule.

Women are not inferior to men, far from it. God has vital roles in the church for women also. But usurping the leadership roles that men should fulfill is not one of them.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
According to Scripture, at least from what I've read and what the teachers I've listened to say, no.

The main concern that comes to mind is with declining numbers (and most areas of growth being amongst more liberal/charismatic groups, many of which having female preachers) is that by remaining static in an evolving society and world, Christianity continues its slow decline. Increasing flexibility and allowing one thing (even if it's to the perceived benefit of Christianity itself) opens the door to other things being acceptable too, to which end it becomes more of a philosophy than a prescribed and inspired set of instructions deemed to be the way of godly living.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to Scripture, at least from what I've read and what the teachers I've listened to say, no.

The main concern that comes to mind is with declining numbers (and most areas of growth being amongst more liberal/charismatic groups, many of which having female preachers) is that by remaining static in an evolving society and world, Christianity continues its slow decline. Increasing flexibility and allowing one thing (even if it's to the perceived benefit of Christianity itself) opens the door to other things being acceptable too, to which end it becomes more of a philosophy than a prescribed and inspired set of instructions deemed to be the way of godly living.
Many parts of worship and doctrine are tradition and culture more than anything. Otherwise we would still be stoning people in the public square.

Upvote 0